As for points totals et al, doesn't matter how far or close you are - if you're second on goal difference, you are still second. If you are second by 30 points, you are still second.

Cammy F

You are still second but if you don't think that it's a completely different scenario then I just can't comprehend you're ideas about competing. You attitude sounds like a losing one, where you just don't know how to compete.

You can imagine some runner with your attitude not going to the Olympics because their best time that year is a hundredth of a second less than someone else's.

To me it's so different that I'd keep the first manager and sack the second. You can't always win and such things as luck and bad refereeing can cost you more than 2 points.

I'm sorry but that quote to me seems so irrational that it means I just cannot take your views seriously anymore. I'm actually hoping your just being glib but I really can't see how you can enjoy football in the slightest with that attitude - either that or you enjoy finishing miles behind.

I for one enjoy the challenge - while we are challenging. I certainly enjoyed last season far better than any where we lost by more than 3 points never mind 17.

I really think people are starting to lose the plot of what supporting a football team is about. It seems so obvious that many would not have the ability to cope with being a non OF fan where finishing 3rd now and again is the best they can expect.

To be honest I didn't realise we'd sunk so low...

Weve been beating our heads with a big stick for months now about Smith shortcommings and its safe to say he aint gonna change.

Sunday was the first time ive heard the media actually openly critisise his tactics but over the piece smith gets an easy ride.

I dont where we go from here with him. Quite a few of us saw the writing on the wall last season and i have to say this season is panning out no different. Same tactics, same bland football and the same mistakes.

And saying i told you so at the end of it all doesnt make it any easier to bear.

It didn't start last season. It was like this before he left the club first time around. You only need to consider the decline of the club from 1996 to 1998 to know all that needs to be known about Walter Smith. Thet truth is that without three or four senior players virtually running the first team squad for about five years, Walter Smith would have been a laughing stock long before now.

As for what can we do - just do what supporters can do. Say it loud and say it clear that he has to go. The difference between success or failure will only be the number who say it.

It's got to be said that Kaunas are a bigger club than Zhizkov although we should easily have beaten both of them. To me, it was a team who had just reached the UEFA final and played a shit load of games and never recovered in time to get going against Kaunas with plenty of top players missing. It's a bit like the hangover you get from a big game to a small one, which happens often. However in end, I think getting to a European final gives you ONE get out of jail free card.

See what you're saying but Walter didn't have to go with McCulloch, Dailly and Adam in midfield in Kaunas. (*winces*)

The thing is, your points in defence of Smith's past do not give us any indication that we are going to move forward with him at the helm. And that's the most important thing.

Walter Smith is a great manager for bringing stability to a shambles situation (Everton, Scotland, Rangers). Beyond that he is out of his depth.

You are still second but if you don't think that it's a completely different scenario then I just can't comprehend you're ideas about competing. You attitude sounds like a losing one, where you just don't know how to compete.

You can imagine some runner with your attitude not going to the Olympics because their best time that year is a hundredth of a second less than someone else's.

To me it's so different that I'd keep the first manager and sack the second. You can't always win and such things as luck and bad refereeing can cost you more than 2 points.

I'm sorry but that quote to me seems so irrational that it means I just cannot take your views seriously anymore. I'm actually hoping your just being glib but I really can't see how you can enjoy football in the slightest with that attitude - either that or you enjoy finishing miles behind.

I for one enjoy the challenge - while we are challenging. I certainly enjoyed last season far better than any where we lost by more than 3 points never mind 17.

I really think people are starting to lose the plot of what supporting a football team is about. It seems so obvious that many would not have the ability to cope with being a non OF fan where finishing 3rd now and again is the best they can expect.

To be honest I didn't realise we'd sunk so low...

So its OK to be 2nd as long as you're not too far behind? I didn't think we'd sunk so low. Second isn't acceptable no matter how close we get. Being a baw-hair away from first is the same as being 30 points behind first place IMO.

Cammy F

So going out in the second qualifying round of the CL is no different than going out in the last 16 then? That certainly let's Walter off the hook.

Beside the point. The question is whether Walter Smith is the man to take Rangers forward after this season. There is nothing on this thread to indicate he is.

Pretty much agree with Cammy here.

I was a huge critic of McLeish yet looking back now i didnt appreciate the tough times Rangers were dealt with. McLeishs biggest problem was he was coming in on the back of a hugely succesful Rangers era where trophies were as common as muck but he had to tighten the shoe laces.

He did inherit a wonderful group of players and got them working well. His team had is scoring 93 goals 1 season from all over the park which won us the title. But his later days had too many fans scratching there heads, he defined the words 'baffling tactics'.

McLeish was also the start of a bad trend of siging run of the mill SPL players. He also picked players out of reputation rather than form. Whether this was down to his thoughts of the game or our budget is down to opinion. His career at Birmingham will give evidence on this.

As for next Gers boss - Steve Bruce would be a great shout!!!

I dont think that McLeish necessarily wanted to sign SPL players but the problem for him was that he was in the bargain basement so it was either Bosman's (difficult to get decent ones although, to be fair to AM, he managed to get Boumsong, Prso and Hemdani - he did have his howlers too but often he was scraping the barrel on the last day of transfer window having lost another 1st teamer) or SPL players - he couldnt afford players in England due to the inflated market price and it kind of made sense for him to look at players in the league he was competing in.

I think AM got a rough time of it from our fans because, despite being under financial constraint, he did still win 7 trophies in his few seasons here which was more than MON achieved in the same time whilst MON had a bigger budget than AM as far as I can tell.

I dont think Steve Bruce would come Gribz but I wouldnt mind seeing someone like him at the club as he would instill a large will to win.

Pretty much agree with Cammy here.

I was a huge critic of McLeish yet looking back now i didnt appreciate the tough times Rangers were dealt with. McLeishs biggest problem was he was coming in on the back of a hugely succesful Rangers era where trophies were as common as muck but he had to tighten the shoe laces.

He did inherit a wonderful group of players and got them working well. His team had is scoring 93 goals 1 season from all over the park which won us the title. But his later days had too many fans scratching there heads, he defined the words 'baffling tactics'.

McLeish was also the start of a bad trend of siging run of the mill SPL players. He also picked players out of reputation rather than form. Whether this was down to his thoughts of the game or our budget is down to opinion. His career at Birmingham will give evidence on this.

As for next Gers boss - Steve Bruce would be a great shout!!!

Once a manager has managed in the Premiership, they expect Premiership wages wherever they go. For that reason I can't see Bruce at Ibrox. It will, almost certainly IMO, be someone from a) within the club, b) out of work, c) the SPL, or d) the Championship.