Gers boss surprised to top table

Guest Jum Spence

Yeah, when I saw the headline there is that immediate thought of "why is he being so negative". But those two words are crucial to the headline.

Frankie, I presume that is BBC and not Chick's fault seeing as it is an RSS feed?

However, even in the main article, WS is being honest with his statement that he thought 7 would be difficult to overcome but sometimes I think some of his statements are positive reinforcements to Celtic and negative to his own team.

He continually talks about Celtic's consistency over the years which, whilst true, really should do nothing more than have Celtic players thinking "yeah, he is right and we can go on a winning run again". Does that help us ? No.

I am sure it doesnt have much of a bearing but at this stage of the season we shouldnt be offering any compliments to our foes.

But it's a style of diplomatic talking that is supposed to prevent any of the "post the article on the dressing room wall" moments. I think Ally McLeod showed that endlessly talking up your chances does you no good at all.

PLG talked us up all the time (with empty clich�©s) and it did us no good either.

I don't really think there's anything fundamentally wrong with being respectful, avoiding arrogance and keeping your feet on the ground - but can see it's not to everyone's taste.

However, I do prefer Walter's style to many, and that's definitely including Strachan.

I'm also 100% sure that he has one thing to say in public and something slightly different to say in the dressing room.

But it's a style of diplomatic talking that is supposed to prevent any of the "post the article on the dressing room wall" moments. I think Ally McLeod showed that endlessly talking up your chances does you no good at all.

I can understand that point of view, but at the same time, none of us want to hear it. Is it because we're in denial? No!! It's because they shouldn't be getting any credit from us. We're better than them and as much as the underdogs tag might be acceptable in Europe it sure as f*** isn't in the SPL!!

PLG talked us up all the time (with empty clich�©s) and it did us no good either.

PLG was just as bad as Walter with his 'Celtic are the benchmark' pi$h. He wasn't the 1st either. Eck was at it as well. As much as I get that it's all mind games (whether it's on the rivals or home support) but it's football not poker ffs. I wish they'd just come out with something like 'We're not interested in them, we're only interested in the title'. Walter goes on about 'winning mentality' ...well there it is.

Yeah, when I saw the headline there is that immediate thought of "why is he being so negative". But those two words are crucial to the headline.

Frankie, I presume that is BBC and not Chick's fault seeing as it is an RSS feed?

However, even in the main article, WS is being honest with his statement that he thought 7 would be difficult to overcome but sometimes I think some of his statements are positive reinforcements to Celtic and negative to his own team.

He continually talks about Celtic's consistency over the years which, whilst true, really should do nothing more than have Celtic players thinking "yeah, he is right and we can go on a winning run again". Does that help us ? No.

I am sure it doesnt have much of a bearing but at this stage of the season we shouldnt be offering any compliments to our foes.

It is very similar to MON in his first season, when even when they were well clear continually said that Rangers were the benchmark and Rangers would come back at them etc etc.