The slating of walter smith and the team!

Just to throw a firework into the bonfire, anyone else feel that fan pressure had a bit to do in Uncle Smith's decision to bring Fleck into the team....:whistle:

No doubt about it as far as I'm concerned. Suddenly the manager who announced to the media only weeks ago that Rangers didn't have the quality of young player to bring through to the first team is now saying to the same media that apparently do have such talented youngsters after all. You can only assume there's been a Board meeting in the interim.:)

The manager who gave us Kaunas will be getting no slack from this Bear. Neither will the manager who plays for draws, constantly plays players out of position, perseveres with players tragically out of form, claims to have seen disastrous results coming, signs players for good money only to never play them so we have to try and punt our top goalscorer, and makes contemptuous statements about the fans in the media.

The UEFA Final was as much down to Cuellar, McGregor and Lady Luck as it was to Smith. It's also worth pointing out that Manchester was nine months ago. History. Just as with 9IAR, it simply cannot be used as a justification to forgive him his faults in the present.

Would this thread have been started if Celtic hadn't their worst run of form this decade?

There has been nothing on these Smith threads which makes me think he is deserving of praise for his current work. Support, maybe, but I prefer to support the players who are doing the business on the park. If we bring it home in May it will be thanks to Mendes, Bougherra, Boyd and the rest of the boys in blue.

To be fair, Lafferty had probably played more 1st team games in THAT position than in any other, while Fleck has been our next 'greatest hope' for the past few weeks. As for McCulloch, I've got no excuse, but you have to admit he's done as good a job (if not better) playing central defence and holding mid, as he did in his 'natural position' - whatever that is :fish:

Just to throw a firework into the bonfire, anyone else feel that fan pressure had a bit to do in Uncle Smith's decision to bring Fleck into the team....:whistle:

Not in the slightest and I think a pretty naive view . I predicted he'd be in the team this season and it was mainly delayed by the boy's injury. Other factors were there about fitting into the team and showing enough confidence.

He was going to play sometime and people calling for it to be earlier have to be pretty full of themselves to think they are responsible for the event when the time comes. So if I tell you to do something you're going to do anyway, do I get the credit when you eventually do it?

If he'd done as the fans told him he'd have played the lad when he was injured..., and played Aaron earlier, and played Sebo, and played Gow, and played Cuellar when he was injured, and not bought Miller etc, etc, etc.

I see your Broadfoot, Papac and Davis, and raise you Novo, McCulloch, Whittaker and Lafferty.

Whittaker should be playing right back, but Broadfoot's kept him out the team. IMO he's a very talented player and doesn't deserve the abuse he's been receiving as like any player he needs a run of games to find his form. As for Novo - I don't see what he's done to be in the bad books. Before Fleck was given his chance, Novo was our best performer on the left and just as WS gives him a shot up front, he get's injured. Tough luck, that's all.

Whittaker should be playing right back, but Broadfoot's kept him out the team. IMO he's a very talented player and doesn't deserve the abuse he's been receiving as like any player he needs a run of games to find his form.

Quite agree. The boy has talent but isn't going to show it until he gets a run of games in his preferred position. Having been the subject of rave reviews at Hibs and during his early days at Ibrox, it says a lot for Kirk ''limited ability'' Broadfoot that Whittaker can't get a sniff at right-back.

The UEFA Final was as much down to Cuellar, McGregor and Lady Luck as it was to Smith.

And so Kaunas had little to do with Smith then? It was the players and luck, eh?

It's also worth pointing out that Manchester was nine months ago. History. Just as with 9IAR, it simply cannot be used as a justification to forgive him his faults in the present.

And how long ago was Kaunas, so you're saying that can't be used as justification to condemn him eh? He's now top of the league and in the cups, so how can you criticise him if we forget the recent past? Where is the line? If it's only a month or two, then he's a pretty good manager, best in the country in fact.

Would this thread have been started if Celtic hadn't their worst run of form this decade?

Sorry but that sounds like a Tim's excuse. Do you find it as hard as Tims to give Rangers any credit?

The Tims say that their NIAR is better than ours because they were shit during ours. Do you agree with them? Should we not count our NIAR any more and all hail Celtic's team instead?

Sorry, but saying, "you only beat me because I played rubbish" doesn't ever cut it.

There has been nothing on these Smith threads which makes me think he is deserving of praise for his current work.

No of course not, Celtic go on a good streak and we falter and they are obviously great and we're rubbish. Turn the tables and we're still rubbish, eh?

Support, maybe, but I prefer to support the players who are doing the business on the park. If we bring it home in May it will be thanks to Mendes, Bougherra, Boyd and the rest of the boys in blue.

So when we do well it's down to the players and luck, and when we do badly, it's the manager's fault... hmm.