19s Cruise To Victory

By Amir Rashid

TWO-GOAL hero Archie Campbell helped Rangers U19s thump Hamilton Accies 4-0 at New Southcroft Park and maintain top spot in the league.

The prolific striker was the main threat throughout the game, opening the scoring on 28 minutes with an emphatic finish from inside the box, before rounding of his performance with a volley half an hour before the end.

The gulf in class was apparent during the 90 minutes and Rangers could have moved up the gears if required.

In the opening stages, however, Billy Kirkwood's kids lacked any real tempo in their game.

Archie Campbell, RangersA Kal Naismith free-kick failed to trouble Gavin McLachlan and Hamilton went close to taking the lead when Alistair Crawford's attempt went over the bar on 23 minutes.

But five minutes later and Rangers were celebrating when a ball over the top of Campbell was brilliantly controlled by the frontman who thumped it hard and low inside the keeper's far post from close range.

A minute after the goal and Campbell was involved again when he linked up with Hutton who ran powerfully at the heart of the Accies defence before being clipped inside the box.

The referee pointed to the spot and Hutton himself stepped up and put his side two up.

The Murray Park starlets were clearly enjoying themselves in front of an impressive turnout and Hemmings should have increased their advantage with ten minutes of the first half remaining.

The young Englishman was clean through on goal having been put through by Naismith.

Campbell was there for the tap in but having only the keeper to beat the former Tamworth forward opted to shoot but was off target.

Just before the break Jamie Ness had an equally good chance after Stephen Stirling's clever pass found him in the box but the midfielder's low effort was pulled past the post.

The second period saw little in the way of a fight back from Hamilton with Rangers cruising.

And it was not long before the next goal arrived.

Following a stinging shot from Ness substitute keeper Stephen Hall parried the ball in the air allowing Campbell to volley in to the bottom right hand corner for his second of the game.

Hamilton's best chance came near the end of the game. Liam Fagan's shot on the stretch from a few yards out went over after a header from a freekick was played across goal.

It was Rangers who finished the strongest when Naismith's exquisite cross found Dylan McGeough at the back post and the youngster turned in the simplest of chances to complete the scoring.

Team: Vaiculis, Cole, Forbes, Wilson, Perry, Hutton, Ness, Stirling (Dick 68), Naismith, Hemmings (McGeough 75), Campbell (Wright 81)

Subs: Adam, Durie, McCabe, Bagci

I attended this game yesterday, only the second time I have seen our impressive youth team this season. The players that have received regular praise are worthy recipients, Danny Wilson, Archie Campbell, Kyle Hutton, Kai Naismith, and Jamie Ness should be able to make a professional living from the game. The lad that impressed me most based on yesterday's action was our right back, Darren Cole. He is tall, athletic, can tackle, strong, good balance, and is a willing supporter of the midfield when the team is going forward. He had a couple of runs that took the team fifty, sixty yards up the pitch, a few step overs exhibited too. Yep, I am endangering the lad's progress by saying he looks 'Huttonesque'. I believe he has just turned 17 and is in his first year.

I know it's the usual, stays relatively injury free, continues to develop, remains focused, ................etc. If all the boxes are ticked, we could have a decent prospect on our hands.

Interestingly, the Rutherglen Glencairn set up is excellent. A good playing surface, a smart new stadium with plenty of concrete terrace, and enough cover for 300ish. There was pie and bovril refreshment, and a PA system that kept you fully informed on substitutions, names of officials, provided updates on other matches taking place. Considering the stadium is now seperated from the rebuilt Social Club by several hundred yards(due to the M74 extension), it's a well planned effort.

The last time I attended a Rangers youth fixture on Glencairn's ground, was the junior club's Centenary celebration in July'96. It was a pre-season match for us against their regular side, we achieved a 1-1 draw. There was an excellent crowd for an evening fixture, squeezed into a ground soon to be under M74 concrete.

I believe the singing sections had a good turn out at this game as well, 26th?

The Blue Order turned out strongly and provided considerable noise and colour to the event. They positioned themselves behind the goals(uncovered), strung several banners on the chicken wire, and waved half a dozen flags. The weather was periodically awful, rain and sleet, but they kept position and the songs going.

They drew genuine laughter as both teams took the pitch after half time, a dozen or more blue and orange streamers covered the crossbar and six yard box. It took 2-3 minutes for the officials and Accies keeper to clear the debris.

The Blue Order are good luck at youth fixtures, the last time I remember them turning out in strength was the '07 youth cup final at Hampden when we beat ra Yahoos 5-0. I believe the next fixture is Dundee United at Lochee, the same turnout from the Blue Order in such enemy territory would be quite a feat. It would certainly have the Lochee locals spluttering.

Aye, I think the lads are going to try and make this a regular thing.

Lochee certainly isn't a Rangers friendly suburb of Dundee. More the Hibernian side of town IIRC.

Been to see Bo'ness United a few times up in Lochee, certainly insn't 'Rangers friendly'...!

Cammy F

Been to see Bo'ness United a few times up in Lochee, certainly insn't 'Rangers friendly'...!

Cammy F

Lochee Juniors remain George Galloway's favourite team, .................................... err after Dundee United(because they used to be Dundee Hibernian), and his beloved Sellik(because they stole half the original Hibernian team), and AndyTown Armalites(never miss a Hibernian walk), ........................................make it up as you go along, George certainly continues to do so.

I attended this game yesterday, only the second time I have seen our impressive youth team this season. The players that have received regular praise are worthy recipients, Danny Wilson, Archie Campbell, Kyle Hutton, Kai Naismith, and Jamie Ness should be able to make a professional living from the game. The lad that impressed me most based on yesterday's action was our right back, Darren Cole. He is tall, athletic, can tackle, strong, good balance, and is a willing supporter of the midfield when the team is going forward. He had a couple of runs that took the team fifty, sixty yards up the pitch, a few step overs exhibited too. Yep, I am endangering the lad's progress by saying he looks 'Huttonesque'. I believe he has just turned 17 and is in his first year.

Good for you mate. Always like to hear about prospects. Keep us posted.