As you know, I have little interest in international football, but I will be keeping an eye on the Scotland team that'll play in the up-and-coming qualifiers. Will George Burley pick Gordon in goal over McGregor given his comments on his decision not to play Kris Boyd earlier in the campaign?

If he does plump for Gordon, will he loose the respect of the media and the fans, especially those Rangers fans that still support the national team? If I were McGregor and I was overlooked in favour of Gordon, I'd follow Boyd's example and tell Burley where to stick his team.

Cammy F

I have no interest in international football either, however I would say that McGregor and Boyd are two different situations. Boyd was Scotland's top scorer and being kept on the bench by wasters like Gary 'loadsagoals' O'Connor. The insult was compounded by Burley coming out and saying he would only play players who were getting a regular game. Therefore, a) why pick Boyd in the squad in the first place if he wasn't getting a regular game for Rangers, and b) why play McFadden when he was barely getting a sniff at Everton? Sometimes I think Burley doesn't think before opening his mouth. Anyway, in McGregor's case I don't think being put on the bench would be an insult in the Boyd mould, as Craig Gordon is a very good keeper who has done little wrong at international level. Scotland are very lucky in the goalkeeping department at the minute. In any case, I don't think any Rangers player should bother playing for that moron. Shit, have I started a five pager? :whistle:

Agreed, but as Gordon has started a game for Sunderland for months now, surely Burley can't drop McGregor for the qualifiers coming up? Doesn't matter how good Gordon is, Burley has stated the rule is that of you aren't playing for your club, you aren't playing for Scotland.

As you say, I wish all our players would retire from international football.

Cammy F

I have no interest in international football either, however I would say that McGregor and Boyd are two different situations. Boyd was Scotland's top scorer and being kept on the bench by wasters like Gary 'loadsagoals' O'Connor. The insult was compounded by Burley coming out and saying he would only play players who were getting a regular game. Therefore, a) why pick Boyd in the squad in the first place if he wasn't getting a regular game for Rangers, and b) why play McFadden when he was barely getting a sniff at Everton? Sometimes I think Burley doesn't think before opening his mouth. Anyway, in McGregor's case I don't think being put on the bench would be an insult in the Boyd mould, as Craig Gordon is a very good keeper who has done little wrong at international level. Scotland are very lucky in the goalkeeping department at the minute. In any case, I don't think any Rangers player should bother playing for that moron. Shit, have I started a five pager? :whistle:

Despite the fact Boyd had played most games. Iwelumo hadn't played in about 3 weeks. Add to that the fact he was playing the likes of Robson and Hartley and you see it was bs.

Agreed, but as Gordon has started a game for Sunderland for months now, surely Burley can't drop McGregor for the qualifiers coming up? Doesn't matter how good Gordon is, Burley has stated the rule is that of you aren't playing for your club, you aren't playing for Scotland.

Cammy F

Not being a regular follower of English football I wasn't aware of that. If he hasn't been playing for so long then it's hard to justify him starting an international match.

Cammy F

He started against Blackburn and looked bloody good. That was his first game that he was available after injury. I was surprised he was dropped for the next couple, but I guess their other goalie never let in anything justifying his selection.

I'd agree that he shouldn't be back in the team after only one game though, particularly as McGregor seems to have regained his form after his dodgy performances earlier in the season.

Unless Gordon remarkably turns around his form and gets his position back there's simply no way Burley can pick him. I want to see McGregor command the penalty area more from corners though, Gordon certainly has the height and reach over McGregor but in terms of shot stopping, awareness and pace then Alan's the man !!

Looking forward to the trip to the Dam, Mon the Scots & the tartan army, the atmosphere will be bouncing !

[

If he does plump for Gordon, will he loose the respect of the media and the fans, especially those Rangers fans that still support the national team? If I were McGregor and I was overlooked in favour of Gordon, I'd follow Boyd's example and tell Burley where to stick his team.

Cammy F

I really can't undrstand anyone wanting all our players to withdraw from the Scotland set-up. Do you ever hear English players saying they will never play for their country if they dont get picked for a match? I always thought we Scots were more patriotic not less.

As it stands, Burley has warned Gordon his place is under threat. Sure, Mac. is the man in form, but it's just a matter of time before he gets his Sunderland place back IMO.

Re the Boyd situation the ball is in his court. He pulled out - rightly or wrongly - and it is his place to announce he wants to return. At the moment there is no way Iwelumo will get a start over him.

Do you ever hear English players saying they will never play for their country if they dont get picked for a match? I always thought we Scots were more patriotic not less.

Ah, see that's not a question of patriotism, it's whether you believe the national team in 2009 represents Rangers or indeed a united Scotland.

Ah, see that's not a question of patriotism, it's whether you believe the national team in 2009 represents Rangers or indeed a united Scotland.

Let me put it this way. Are supporting Rangers and supporting Scotland mutually exclusive concepts? I would love nothing better than for the Scotland team to be made up of eleven Rangers players, preferably eleven Glaswegians. But whenever the Scotland team is picked I hope they do well, whoever is playing for them. I'm sure Man u/L'pool supporters still support England even when their hated rivals have representatives on the pitch.