Memories of League Cup Final 2003

I remember going to the game with johnnyk. We met up in Yates in the Central Station for a few beers before the match and took our places at Hampden shortly before kick off. I recall the weather being tremendous that day.

Afterwards, despite suffering from glandular fever John felt OK enough to walk back to the city centre and take in a few pubs along the way. Unfortunately, we forgot it was St Patrick's Day weekend and every pub we passed from the Queen's Park to the centre seemed to be called O'Neills. None looked particularly welcoming for a couple of excited bears!

As such, instead of getting inebriated we sobered up over the 3 mile walk. :(

Great result though and a great day! :cool:

I was in hospital for the '03 cup final so had to give my ticket up. Had the old trusty radio on though and managed to burst some stitches open when Hartson missed the penalty.

Best League Cup Final I remember was the 88 or 89 one against the shaggers of sheep at Hampden. The 3-2 game when Fergie scored that never been seen before bicycle kick/ side-volley from about 10 yards out. Awesome stuff!

Frankie, I assume you walked down Victoria Road? Not a bear-friendly area at all these days, which is a shame as it used to be quite nice.

No idea what way we went mate. We didn't have a clue where we were going - just headed back in the general direction of the town and tried to avoid getting a doing as we passed Irish flag after Irish flag... :(

I remember going to the game with johnnyk. We met up in Yates in the Central Station for a few beers before the match and took our places at Hampden shortly before kick off. I recall the weather being tremendous that day.

Afterwards, despite suffering from glandular fever John felt OK enough to walk back to the city centre and take in a few pubs along the way. Unfortunately, we forgot it was St Patrick's Day weekend and every pub we passed from the Queen's Park to the centre seemed to be called O'Neills. None looked particularly welcoming for a couple of excited bears!

As such, instead of getting inebriated we sobered up over the 3 mile walk. :(

Great result though and a great day! :cool:

Aye it was a great day even though I wisnae feeling well, turned out it was the shingles but still managed to have a good time and a few drinks....probably didn't help things though, I was signed off work for a week so got to watch the game quite a few times more :whistle:

The walk back sobered us up as Frankie said but it was great weather and we just beat celtic to win the cup, great feeling...........

Good team we had then, cannigia was superb IIRC........

As Bluebell says, it's a shame regarding Victoria Road - used to be a 'Rangers area' and an area where all my Mum's family originated from. My Auld Great Unlce George and Great Antie Mary and my Auld Great Auntie Lizzie (God Rest Their Souls) stayed in that area all their lives and have vivid memories of staying there after cup finals and all the houses / tenements would all be decked out in Red, White & Blue.

My Gran moved out this way when whe married my Grand-dad who was a miner and stayed out here due to the number of mines (coal and shale)!

Also, if one of my uncles took the car to Hampden, the Police used to stop us from entering the area as it was 'parking for residents only' and we would inform them that we were just here to visit our family. Therefore, got a prime parking space minutes from Hampden and got to piss off the Polis as well!!

As for the final in question - remember the game and the weather. We, as usual had a few pre-match drinks in Armstrongs at the back of the Rangers end and ended up back in a local pub for a wee sing-song. The best memory of the day was whilst coming home and driving past the Brazen Head pub and all the patrons being outside throwing abuse (plus anything else they had close to hand) at the passing buses. We had all the doors and windows opening and were loudly singing 'Happy Birthday St Patrick'.....! One of the patrons got loose from the Police and ran at our bus carrying a framed photo of Larsson and The Pope (I kid you not). The mhank then tripped over the pavement and fell all his length - much to the delight of the buses.

The framed photo smashed all over the place and the tim lifted himself for the road and was covered in blood from his skinned head / nose / kness etc. Our RSC Secretary leaned out the window and offered the fallen tim some words of enouragement (hehe) and wished him a Happy St Patricks Day....

Cammy F