Boyd out of cup final after bust-up with Walter

At least according to the Daily R*cord.

KRIS BOYD was banned from Murray Park yesterday after a bust-up with furious Rangers manager Walter Smith.

And the fallout means the Ibrox club's top scorer won't play in Sunday's Co-operative Insurance Cup Final against Celtic.

Boyd was sent home as soon as he showed up for training but not before Smith had ripped into him over of his attitude during Sunday's Homecoming Scottish Cup quarter-final against Hamilton.

No one at Rangers would confirm the confrontation but sources inside Murray Park said the striker, who has scored 24 goals this season, looked stunned and was chalk white after having been called to the manager's office.

It is believed Smith was raging at Boyd's behaviour after the team to face Hamilton had been named. Boyd was on the bench and according to team-mates looked disinterested in the match. His behaviour was described as unacceptable as well as unprofessional.

It is believed he lashed out at a pile of boots in the dressing room when he found out he wouldn't be starting the tie. It is also understood that while the other substitutes warmed up at half-time, Boyd stretched out on the treatment table and lay there with his hands in his pockets.

Smith allows his right-hand man Ally McCoist to deliver the team talks for cup ties but the manager wouldn't have missed Boyd's display of petulance.

And when the players, who were given Monday off, reported for training yesterday ahead of the Old Firmfinal Smith was waiting.

No one needed sophisticated listening devices to realise Boyd was given a verbal working over. He left without a word and although no time limit has been set on the length of his ban, he is out of the final unless Rangers suffer a series of injuries between now and the Hampden showdown.

Even if Boyd swallows his pride and makes a grovelling apology the best he can hope for is a quick return to training. Even that won't happen until he learns to accept managerial decisions.

Greater respect for his teammates and much more effort are what he will need to demonstrate if he wishes to force his way back into Smith's first team plans.

Debate has raged over Boyd's merits ever since he signed from Kilmarnock almost four seasons ago and clearly the player believes he should be an automatic choice.

Smith, on the other hand, would like to see more of a contribution from his striker, who has also upset the Tartan Army by his refusal to play for Scotland while George Burley remains manager.

Yesterday, Smith faced the media for a pre-cup final briefing and revealed he would have no problem leaving out either Boyd or in-form striker Kyle Lafferty.

He said: "It won't be hard to leave out either player if it has to be done for the good of the team.

"Boyd's not an enigma in my eyes. He gets goals but other aspects of his game don't reach the same, high level as his scoring ability.

"Lafferty's ratio of goals to appearances is good and, given time, he can be a good centre forward for Rangers."

Or the cynical amongst us might suppose they've agreed a deal to sell him at the end of the season for a handsome sum and this is a simple and cost-free way to quell any reaction from the fans. I ask myself, why now? Why at this precise time, when he could have done the same thing for the same reasons next Monday?

Smith must actually believe we will beat celtic on Sunday or he'd never have done this now. It's not as if Boyd wouldn't give him the same opportunity on many other occasions. If we get beat and don't score, Smith will look like a rather silly old tart. Nearly thirty games into the league campaign is a bit fukking late for a manager to start playing hard ball - after the first Kaunas game might have made a lot more sense.

If this is true then WS is right, no matter who the manager and player is.

Just as PLG should have been supported over Fergie, Smith should have our support over Boyd.

No doubt conspiracy theories will be aired over this, but in my mind it's about time the whip was cracked at Ibrox.

If this is true then WS is right, no matter who the manager and player is.

Just as PLG should have been supported over Fergie, Smith should have our support over Boyd.

No doubt conspiracy theories will be aired over this, but in my mind it's about time the whip was cracked at Ibrox.

You're absolutely right mate. But when it starts happening at this late stage in the season, you can't really help wondering why? Some might think the week before a cup final is the ideal time, I'm not so sure. All depends on the truth of the matter behind the scenes and, as frankie infers, why it has been leaked at this time.

sniff sniff?

Edited by maineflyer

The problem I have with the story is it just seems a bit of an OTT reaction.

I doubt any of us would disagree with the fact Boyd is a lazy bugger with a questionable attitude. His form has also been very poor of late. As such, I've no problem with the manager taking him to task on that. However, banning him from the training ground/team is hardly going to get him to change his attitude - only cement his sulk.

Surely you have your go at him then let him react in the best way - hard work at Murray park and improved displays in the team - if picked?

This just seems like cutting off our nose to spite our face.

PS: His value just dropped from �£3.8million as well.