Simple Question  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Simple Question

• Rangers to win CL
    • Scotland to win WC

Taken from a phone-in show last night - simple question - would you prefer Rangers to win the CL or Scotland to win the World Cup?

Simple question with a simple answer from this Bear, Rangers to win the CL - in fact, Rangers to win anything :)

Cammy F

no split conscience for this bear. easiest question i've ever been asked. moan the gers. :)

DJ was on the show last night and rather surprisingly given his 'uncle tom' tag, he instantly plumped for Rangers for the CL as well.

The host (can't remember his name) said that its a sign of changing times as fans of the OF don't follow their country (a lie). However, DJ put him in his place. Said that as a Rangers fan, his loyalties were to Rangers.

DJ and D King then said something that I haven't considered before and makes interesting thinking. Both said that historically, the Scotland national team consisted of players playing in the English League (Souness, Dalglish, Archie Gemmill, Joe Jordan, Billy Bremner etc) and that by going to support Scotland, it was the fans only real opportunity to see players like that play. Now the Scotland team is full of average players from average SPL and championship teams.

Cammy F

not only that, the conditions for any form of nationalism have been largely crippled in the west by capitalism. we are loyal to our tastes. i made the choice to support rangers; they matter to me. i am scottish, but i am ambivalent towards it. there's some of it i like, some of it i don't like. just like everything else. whatever moral authority people twist to try and bind your conscience in that way is built on sand; a power-play, and nothing more.

There was a great thread on Follow Follow last week showing images of the 'TA' from the 70's and 80's compared to images of the current 'TA'. The difference was frightening. Summed up with one poster asking if back in the 70's if there were any bankers called Farquar in the TA dressed in a Scotland rugby shirt, a see you jimmy wing and a man-skirt and timberland boots, and if there was, how long would he have lasted :)

Cammy F

Can't see why it should be an eiither/or. Rangers for me as well - however you look at it, it would be a great achievement for Scotland as we come from the Scottish League.

Just a question that was put out on a phone-in show :)

Personally, I couldn't really care about Scotland full stop. If Scotland were to win the world cup, I'd wish them well and give them the congratulations and credit that was deserved / due for such an achievement.

Cammy F

I try to take an interest in the National team, and under Smith and then Eck I was starting to even watch the games again.

But Burley's appointment over Souness was the single most ridiculous appointment in Scottish football since Dr Jo.

His attacks since on Boyd, Broadfoot, and generally picking and playing donkeys like Iwoogiewoogie or whatever the big lump is called, has yet again turned me away.

I would add that the Scumtanta contract now means I wont even watch most Scotland games, and instead of going to the pub to watch them as I did for the France and Italy matches during the last campaign, I am going to see Jimmy Carr at the SECC and I think I have the better deal.

Anyway, back to the original question, I would expect the poll results to be heavily slanted on this forum, given it is a Rangers forum, but to add it a bit further I would prefer we won the league cup recently against the scum than Scotland won the world cup. It is that big a gap.

I'd get a bigger thrill out of Scotland winning the world cup than Rangers winning the league cup (seen that plenty of times in the past, and can't get too excisted about it).

I'd plump for us winning the league this year in front of a world cup win though.

As for the original question, it's a no-brainer. :)