Barry Ferguson To Depart Rangers For Zenit St. Petersburg - Report

The midfielder, who was suspended and stripped of his captaincy by the Gers for making obscene gestures while on international duty with Scotland, will make a ââ??¬3.3 million switch to the Russians this summer...

6 Apr 2009 09:45:20

Barry Ferguson - Scotland

Photo Gallery

Zoom

Barry Ferguson - Scotland

According to a report in the British tabloid The Daily Mirror, Rangers midfielder Barry Ferguson is set to leave the Scottish giants to join Russian club Zenit St. Petersburg at the end of the season.

The 31-year-old was recently stripped of his captaincy and suspended by the Gers for his antics while on international duty with Scotland.

Along with Rangers team-mate Allan McGregor, Ferguson was dropped for Scotland's World Cup qualifier against Iceland following an extended drinking session in Amsterdam after the 3-0 defeat to Holland.

The pair have subsequently been told they will not play international football again after they were pictured making 'V' signs while on the substitutes bench for the match against Iceland.

Ferguson's future with the Glasgow-based outfit, for whom he has scored 54 goals in 360 appearances during two spells, has since been called into question.

It now appears that Zenit manager Dick Advocaat, who knows Ferguson from his time as manager of the Scottish giants between 1998-2002, is eager to sign him in a deal worth ââ??¬3.3 million (Ã?£3m).

"I am sure everyone in Scotland knows what I think of Barry Ferguson," Advocaat is quoted as saying.

"He's still a top player. Maybe he needs a fresh challenge elsewhere."

Ricky Brooks, Goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en/news/461/scotland/2009/04/06/1194407/barry-ferguson-to-depart-rangers-for-zenit-st-petersburg-report

It is hard to lend any credibility to stories like this when they can't get some of their facts correct.

BF and AM did not go on a boozing session in Amsterdam, it was at Cameron House.

Regardless of whether anyone is pro or anti-BF if the figure is correct (which I doubt) then we should be accepting it. 3 mill is a decent fee for BF and one that we should be accepting.

That said I don't know why any club would offer such an amount when he has been a) stripped of our capaincy b) suspended by the club c) heading into the final year of his contract anf d) is obviously wanted out by the club.

A fee of 1 mill would probably see us bite their hand off.

As I said on another thread, it wouldn't surprise me if deals to move McGregor and Ferguson have already been shaken on. The antics of placing them on the transfer list and suspending them for 2 weeks is to ease any pressure that would have been applied to these sales ala the Kris Boyd situation in January.

Cammy F

If we got �£3million for Ferguson I'd be astonished.

I was thinking the same. I expected him to leave for free and think we should bite the hand off of any �£1M offers.