St Mirren 1 : 2 Rangers - Player Ratings and MoM Poll

Edu for me, a fantastic first half, topped off with a goal, and good defensive work in the second half.

Whittaker also did well on his wrong side, and Boyd got another goal and generally worked a lot harder than of late, certainly outworking his two forward companions last night in Novo and Naismith.

Steven Whittaker for me also, closely followed by Edu.

Steven Davis and Steven Naismith were nothing more than passengers last night and both could be dropped / rested. Said after the Falkirk game that Naismith would benefit from an extended run in the reserves and then a full pre-season training. The lad looks lost. Davis is a harder one to explain, but it can't be denied that he hasn't performed at all this season. Mendes showed in patches last night just what a football player he can be, but he must be more consistant and show the same form over 90 minutes.

Back four looked OK until the loss of Papac - not a slight on Dailly who did OK when introduced, just think the switch upset the ballance more than anything else. Boyd did well, and you can see the difference when we get players around him (opening 25 minutes). However, as soon as Naismith, Novo, Mendes etc dropped deeper, Boyd was isolated and we negated his threat (btw - miss of the season at 1-0?)..... Boyd was also unlucky not to get a penalty when his header was handled in the 2nd half.

Have to say that Potter (IIRC) should have been red carded for his assault on Beasley - a shocking challange.

Most worrying asspect is the inconsistancy over 90 minutes and the inability to kill teams off. That game should have been done and dusted by half-time and we should have ran out comfortable winners.

Cammy F

Whittaker for me he played well! and what about potter was he james bond in disguise going about on a mission of crocking our players shocking tackle on beasley!

In days gone by we had players in our team who would have made sure Potter received a bit retribution

Steven Whittaker for me also, closely followed by Edu.

Steven Davis and Steven Naismith were nothing more than passengers last night and both could be dropped / rested. Said after the Falkirk game that Naismith would benefit from an extended run in the reserves and then a full pre-season training. The lad looks lost. Davis is a harder one to explain, but it can't be denied that he hasn't performed at all this season. Mendes showed in patches last night just what a football player he can be, but he must be more consistant and show the same form over 90 minutes.

Back four looked OK until the loss of Papac - not a slight on Dailly who did OK when introduced, just think the switch upset the ballance more than anything else. Boyd did well, and you can see the difference when we get players around him (opening 25 minutes). However, as soon as Naismith, Novo, Mendes etc dropped deeper, Boyd was isolated and we negated his threat (btw - miss of the season at 1-0?)..... Boyd was also unlucky not to get a penalty when his header was handled in the 2nd half.

Have to say that Potter (IIRC) should have been red carded for his assault on Beasley - a shocking challange.

Most worrying asspect is the inconsistancy over 90 minutes and the inability to kill teams off. That game should have been done and dusted by half-time and we should have ran out comfortable winners.

Cammy F

Naismith is a quality player, no doubts about it but he has struggled since returning from injury. Again, I think WS should take some responsibility for this as he's chopping and changing things and Naismith seems to be the one getting punted from the 1st team into the reserves.

WS will never drop/rest Davis as dropping another senior player from our midfield may prove suicidal. OK, he has been poor but dropping another international midfielder for an unproven and untested player in Aaron woldn't be the correct choice at this time in the season. Anyway, WS hasn't done it so far this season so he won't start now!

WS seems content on sitting back on leads and hoping we can see the game out. I believe we should be going for the kill and taking another 1 or 2 goals off opponents. You just know WS gets the team in at HT and tells the players to sit back, keep it tight and don't give anything away rather than telling them to start the 2nd half off looking to get another goal.

Cammy F

One thing i've not seen mentioned yet is the disparity in dealing with Boyd and Mehmet.

Now, before I start, realise I'm not saying either of them had a dirty game. But both competed like big forwards do, using their size and strength and jostling with the CB's a little backing in maybe but nothing you don't see every week. Boyd penalised at every challenge, Mehmet rarely if ever.

Then you look at Boyd's yellow for what i'm not sure and Bougherra for winning a shoulder to shoulder challenge. Yet Potter and his team mate (Papac challenge) walk off scot-free???