By Andrew Dickson

THE leading scorer of Rangers goals in Old Firm games, it was in the derbies against Celtic that Ally McCoist made his name as a Light Blues legend.

Now he feels Kris Boyd is ready to follow in his footsteps as the prolific striker looks to fire the Ibrox outfit to a win against their biggest rivals this weekend.

Ally McCoist and Kris Boyd in trainingThis season has been the former Kilmarnock man's best since he made the short move from Rugby Park in January 2006.

Having taken his tally for the club into three figures when he notched his 100th Gers goal against St Mirren last month, he now stands on 30 for the campaign.

It's a good return from the prolific striker and while many have come to expect that sort of thing from him, there's still a lot of satisfaction to be taken from what he has done.

Boyd has undoubtedly become a more rounded player in recent months, progressing from the lazy, immobile forward many looked upon him as previously.

Now showing more intelligence and a greater work ethic, he is one of the most valuable members of Walter Smith's squad.

One of the criticisms that still hang over Boyd's head is his lack of goals against Celtic. In 18 career appearances against them, he has just one to his credit.

The second anniversary of that sole counter was yesterday and it goes without saying that he's keen to end the drought on Saturday.

Ally McCoist talks to Kris Boyd in trainingThere's nobody better for Boyd to learn from than McCoist, someone who struck competitively on 27 occasions against the Parkhead side for Rangers over 15 years.

Smith's deputy has heard all of the theories on the Ibrox number nine and knows he's one of those players people either love or hate.

But the one thing he insists nobody can dispute is his ability to score - and McCoist is convinced Boyd's got what it takes to see off Celtic.

"Kris is a man with a lot of confidence at the moment and his total against Celtic is just a statistic," he said. "We all know Boydy can score against anybody.

"He has scored at international level and in European competitions as well as in domestic games so there's no doubting what he can do.

"I really hope this is a game that is set up for him. When you look at strikers and some of the things that are written in stars for them, I hope this is one of them.

"Kris has a terrific season and it was a wonderful achievement for him to reach 100 goals for the club recently.

Ally McCoist shouts orders to Kris Boyd during a game"So early in his Rangers career, I hope it's the first hundred of many and you never know what could happen. I certainly wish him luck with that.

"People earn their luck and if Boydy were to get the winner this weekend against Celtic, nobody would be more pleased about it than me. I include Kris in that. "

Boyd has been in a situation similar to this one before and back in December, he was given his chance to shine in the derby at Ibrox.

Going into the game, he had 18 goals in as many matches under his belt including hat-tricks against Inverness and Hamilton.

But when his opportunity to strike against Celtic came, Artur Boruc saved his shot just after half-time and Scott McDonald's effort later ensured the visitors won 1-0.

This time Boyd has six goals from his last six appearances and he's one of the most in-form players in the country.

While he didn't make the most of his opportunity just over four months ago, McCoist thinks he can this time and added: "This could be a second chance for him in that respect.

Kris Boyd"Back in December, Barry Ferguson played a good ball through to Kris and, after he took a touch, the keeper saved his shot. That happens.

"He would have been disappointed to miss that chance but that's got nothing to do with the situation we're in now.

"Kris needed to get his head up and move on at the end of last year and he did that. He has scored some great goals between then and now.

"He's obviously forgotten about that miss, just as we have. There's no use in looking back at it because it doesn't make any difference now.

"If Kris has a chance to score on Sunday, I'd definitely have my money on him to do it because one thing he won't be worrying about is chances he's missed in games gone by."

Mmmmmmmmmmm, is he gonna play or is it a bluff ?

I don't think it is a bluff. In the last few weeks Boyd has

1. Been scoring

2. Been assisting

3. Putting forth more effort

4. Linking up play reasonably well

5. Been more aware of his surroundings

As much as the goals are important I think given his significant improvement in number 2-5 will see him secure his place on Sunday.

He HAS to play and we have to go 4-4-2 an go at them. In no way should we be scared of them and should go full out to win the game instead of setting out not to lose. Thats just not good enough now!

I want Boyd to play well and score (In a Rangers vicotry) more than anyone else in the squad this weekend.

Purely because I believe that could be the springboard to 100% backing from the fans and manager that could see him put up a decent chase for McCoist's record and ultimately benefit Rangers with years and years of success.

A Kris Boyd who can add big performances in big games to his awesome goalscoring tally would be indispensible to Rangers and I really think an Old Firm winning, and potentially League winning goal, could be the catalyst for years of success for Rangers.

I want Boyd to play well and score (In a Rangers vicotry) more than anyone else in the squad this weekend.

Purely because I believe that could be the springboard to 100% backing from the fans and manager that could see him put up a decent chase for McCoist's record and ultimately benefit Rangers with years and years of success.

A Kris Boyd who can add big performances in big games to his awesome goalscoring tally would be indispensible to Rangers and I really think an Old Firm winning, and potentially League winning goal, could be the catalyst for years of success for Rangers.

Don't think it matters how many goals Boyd scores, there are still some fans who just don't appreciate what he has done, and won't until he has gone...........hope you're right though :rfc:

I still admit i am not a huge Boyd fan although i admit he certainly is improving other aspects of his game. I don't think one player in a team scoring 25 goals means he is necessarily good for the team over the whole season. Wayne Rooney will probably never score 25 goals a season but i would much prefer what he offers to the team than what Boyd offers. I personally prefer a striker who can control and hold on to a ball to give players time to come up in support. Just my opinion.

If Boyd starts in every old firm gamne and is here for the next 12 years then he still wont get as many as Ally.

Im a huge Boyd fan but think he has not done enough (bear in mind the team coisty played in) in terms of goals to say he can match tat record.

I would love to be proved wrong and see him score not just one but three to shut up his detractors.

He'll never match Coisty's overall record. His record against Celtic even less so.

MY arguement though, is that having a man with the ability to at least put up a decent attempt on Coisty's 355 is something we should be looking to assist.