I've maybe not come across properly in my opinion here. Not once have I said Manu didnt deserve to win the league. They had more points so deserved their 18th title. Liverpool had their best chance in years and years and went as close as they did. Draws cost them yes, BUT they should have showed more at those games to rightfully win those titles after being so far ahead. At the same time, Manu did everything right and therefore deserved the title.

Think maybe everyone has missed the point a little....

Not at all.

Gav's rebuttal of WTD's statement about dropped home points could be the exact same argument that Arsenal or Chelsea fans make too.

As S_A says, it is the "if your aunty had balls" argument.

Every team that didnt win the league could moan about dropped points costing them the league, even WBA ;)

As long as my argument wasn't misconstrued, thats all. Im still chuffed at the way Liverpool performed for the vast majority of the season. They didn't do enough as Manu had more points at the end of the day.

Just to try to give a wee slant to it :

Arsenal finished 14 behind Liverpool and 18 behind Man U.

Lost away to Fulham, at home to Hull, away to Stoke, home to Villa (not a huge surprise)

Drew against Sunderland (x2), Spurs, Middlesborough, West Ham, Everton, Spurs, Fulham, Liverpool (up 4-3 well into inury time),

So there are 30 points dropped which could have helped them win the league. Even realistically there are 20 points there that they shouldn't have dropped.

Liverpool could go through their results and do the same thing and say the same thing. So could Chelsea.

The point is, every team can rue dropped points as being the reason they didnt win the league.

The only stat that matters is.... did you win the league ? No is the answer to all but Man U fans.

The rest is a futile argument.

In fact, where Pool fans say that those dropped points at home cost then you could argue too that they had numerous games where they scored very late which gave them points they otherwise wouldnt have got (at home to Arsenal for example) and yet those results are conveniently forgotten and only the points dropped are remembered.

Not getting into an argument over this and do understand your points. Petty as it is but Liverpool drew when they had a strong lead, 10 points I think. Not the only team that wasted points but in the same token as your argument, were certainly not the only team to score late winners.

Have no idea of the stats but Im sure Manu will possibly be on a par with Liverpool on that score.

Not getting into an argument over this and do understand your points. Petty as it is but Liverpool drew when they had a strong lead, 10 points I think. Not the only team that wasted points but in the same token as your argument, were certainly not the only team to score late winners.

Have no idea of the stats but Im sure Manu will possibly be on a par with Liverpool on that score.

As long as you understand the points Jon, that is what I was aiming for.

It doesnt matter how far ahead, or behind, Liverpool were when they dropped points. They dropped them. Same can be said of all teams.

The wasting of points is what I was getting at. If Liverpool fans can say the draws at home cost them then Arsenal and Cheslea fans can also look to games they should have won but didn't.

That is why the "if it werent for those dropped points" argument never really sat well with me.

Same with Celtic fans - they are saying "if we had only beaten Hibs and Hearts" - OK, but then Rangers could say "we should have beaten ICT and St Mirren" and those 4 games now negate each other.

No argument my man, I am just enjoying the debate of it !

I think if a team is running close and they have 1 or maybe 2 unlucky draws in games that were 1) their for the taking and 2) a host of chances that just wouldnt go for them then the excuse "if only we won that game" can be used.

Arsenal for example in 2003 drew 2-2 at Bolton which cost them the league (if they won that they would have beat Leeds on the last day) and again last year that Birmingham draw knocked them off the pertch.

But Liverpool had SEVEN home draws which tells its own story.