No Rangers deal for Sol Campbell, adios to Aaron

by Thomas Jordan

RANGERS are believed to have turned down the chance to sign veteran former England defender Sol Campbell.

Ibrox manager Walter Smith is searching for a new defender to boost his squad for next season even though he expects to re-sign captain David Weir on a one-year deal and retain the services of Madjid Bougherra.

Reports today said Campbell had been interested in moving to the Light Blues on a free transfer from Portsmouth.

advertisement

But it is understood the SPL champions decided against trying to broker a package for the 34-year-old.

Smith is preferring to concentrate on finding a younger stopper who will eventually take over from Weir next season.

Another player who won't be at Ibrox next season is loan Ranger Aaron Niquez.

The Spanish winger's stay in Scotland was cut short after he was recalled by Valencia to return to La Liga.

The 20-year-old originally joined the Ibrox club on a two-year loan deal, but both clubs have agreed to end it after just one season in the SPL.

Niquez only made one start and three substitute appearances for Rangers last term and Smith informed him he would be highly unlikely to make more appearances next season.

An attack-minded left midfielder is at the top of the manager's wanted list so that would push the youngster further out of the first-team picture.

The likes of Kyle Lafferty, Nacho Novo, Stevie Naismith and John Fleck were all ahead of him in for the wide left position and although Smith was impressed with his attitude, he didn't feel he was ready to command a first-team slot.

Niquez said: "It has been a difficult season for me at Rangers because you want to play more games. However, it was my first year in Scottish football and I can understand that."

Aaron gone without getting a real chance. Another Gow mystery. In the time he had he looked reasonable.

I guess he couldn't play centre-half.:(

If Aaron was THAT good, he'd have been in the first team & playing plenty SPL games, but he wasn't. They ultimately took a look at the lads overall performances in training & in the reserves & decided that he wasn't worth paying millions to sign on a permanent deal. It's a good decision in my mind. We need to be signing on a LM player that's a definite start.

I thought Aaron looked good in the brief games he played. Would have liked to seen him get more of a chance.

As for Campbell, if there was a veteren we could sign then he would be on the list. Top quality defender and professional. I think he could have done a job for us.

Campbell and Bougherra!! Would have been alright!!

I thought Aaron looked good in the brief games he played. Would have liked to seen him get more of a chance.

As for Campbell, if there was a veteren we could sign then he would be on the list. Top quality defender and professional. I think he could have done a job for us.

Campbell and Bougherra!! Would have been alright!!

I agree mate, but I would rather get a younger defender who can hopefully learn from Wier and take over the mantle in the back line.

Edited by Wija
Mong spelling

I agree mate, but I would rather get a younger defender who can hopefully learn from Wier and take over the mantle in the back line.

I thought we had a younger one in Danny Wilson ?

:spl::spl:

Wilson is a great prospect and I'd actually be happy using him as back up for Weir and Bugherra rather than spend money on another centre-half who may not even play.

Continuing with Weir is somewhat of a risk but we certainly can't afford the kind of wage someone like Sol Campbell would want.

Aaron was named in the Spanish U21 team of the year yet he still couldn't get a game for us. :confused:

A strange one. He certainly didn't appear to put a foot wrong whenever given his chance in the first team. I'd have thought that was where you prove whether you're up to it, rather than training or in the reserves. Perhaps he just had too adventurous a style for our management's liking.

I don't think he did too well against Hamilton at Ibrox in the cup but his style certainly wasn't part of our tactics so it's no surprise he didn't feature more often.

One must remember though that Valencia recalled him so while we may not have put up too much of a fight to keep him, we probably didn't have a great deal of choice in the matter.