I think you have hit the nail on the head with starting XI players. That makes a huge difference compared to the amount of bench warmers we normally sign, although last year was mainly starting players with Bougherra, Mendes, Davis and Miller.

A partner for Bougherra is a must and should be top priority IMO. If he gets injured or suspened we will be desperate in that department as McCulloch isnt the answer, Broadfoot is out until Nov and Weir is 40 regardless of how well he did last season.

But we shouldn't have to buy a 34 year old when we have Webster who recently played for Scotland B. He's at least worth a try.I'm beginning to wonder about the number of good players we have brought in and then failed to give a proper chance to. Think Webster,Gow, Naismith for a start.

Naismith definitely had a fair chance but was injured and has since struggled to get back to form. In fact since he came back Walter has given him more chances than many fans would have in his shoes.

Webster has hardly been fit for two weeks solid since we signed him. He didn't even play many games when he went on loan a couple times before getting injured again. There is a time when you just have to let something go if it keeps costing you money with no return - especially when you're trying to cut costs.

That leaves Gow, and you can tell there is a hidden story there. He'll probably be playing League 1 football next season so is hardly proving the club are wrong. But even if he makes a name for himself, there is the odd player who get's on the wrong side of the manager of a club at the time. I would rather have a strong manager who asserts himself with players rather than one who lets the team take over the dressing room...

The 34 year old is only a rumour right now and so to get het up about it is akin to Harry Enfield's "Self Righteous Brothers".

In the end to be fair to Walter, he's played his fair share of his signings and gave more of chance to most of them than PLG, DA and Souness.

Davis, Mendes and Bougherra have been pretty much ever presents, Miller and Lafferty have had a decent number of games, Edu had a run at the end and Velicka had a few games when we finally actually needed another striker. The only signing last summer who didn't get much game time was Aaron and at 18 he featured in about four games with one start - which isn't bad for a teenager at a club like Rangers.

If you look at arguably Walter's best and favourite team now, there are only two players he didn't sign - Boyd and Papac - that's with Novo on the bench.

Agree with Norris.

I still have high hopes for Naismith but I'd certainly prefer we played him centrally either as a striker or slightly withdrawn.

We don't need to write him off yet.

But we shouldn't have to buy a 34 year old when we have Webster who recently played for Scotland B. He's at least worth a try.I'm beginning to wonder about the number of good players we have brought in and then failed to give a proper chance to. Think Webster,Gow, Naismith for a start.

Id take a 34 year old Sol Campbell over Webster every day! Campbell is still mobile and Webster can string 3 games together.

Its the same as the saying 'if he is young enough he is good enough'...it can be reversed and applied to the elders..'if they are good enough they are young enough'.

I havent once been impressed by Naismith but ive only saw him on the right or left wings and he struggled badly.

Gow has baffling, but i wouldnt be surprised to see him regularly next season as a good player and we will all stand up and say why wasnt he played 2 years ago!

Campbell is probably good enough - just look at Weir, just not cheap enough. In the end, he may not have the same commitment as Weir as there are certain players who look to the likes of us for a pension and end up being rank.

I'm sure I've seen Naismith play up front a few times and have a bad game. His best games that I recall are when he played on the left with Burke on the right in a sort of 4-3-3.

I always thought we signed the guy a bit too soon as he needed another season elsewhere. I also thought the same of Whittaker and it has definitely taken him a year to start producing decent form.

Thomson was the one who was ready and his injury has been a huge blow.

That might be true Frankie, but we dont really give anybody a free role.

Nobody gets away with not doing a specific role, both offensively and defensively, hence the reason behind so many Boyd debates, so we are certainly not going to give a free role to Naismith.

Makes you wonder why we bought him though, doesn;t it? It was hardly small change.