[QUOTE=CammyF;157306]In our most successful season recently (both on and off the field) where we got to the CL group stages, then went on to the UEFA Cup Final and sold players such as Hutton and Cuellar we still manged to add to our debt. That is not the fault of the global market or any other exuse you care to mention - that is the fault of the parsite that is running, sorry ruining our club.

my club.

It may of course also be the fault of team management who failed to get us into the lucrative CL stages season after season before that v. successful one you mention - so that the debt was cumulative. Quite simply we need CL football every season - was Kaunas the fault of SDM - or WS?

Simply not getting the point - lets look at our foes from the East End - they have been very successful in getting themsevles sorted financially. They have had their Kanuases (Artmedia) yet they are on a sound financial footing. They face the same finacial restrictions that we do, have a higher wage bill than us, yet have no (or close to no) debt.

Meanwhile, we have lurched from finacial crisis to finacial crisis. This has resulted in us HAVING to sell players to keep the banker from our doors. Yip, all of the above is the fault of DA, AMc and WS. SDM is completely faultless in the above.

Cammy F

[ Meanwhile, we have lurched from finacial crisis to finacial crisis. This has resulted in us HAVING to sell players to keep the banker from our doors. Yip, all of the above is the fault of DA, AMc and WS. SDM is completely faultless in the above.

Right, so if we compare ourselves to our East End foes: they have no debt yet are unable to attract a top-class manager (no chance of a MoN or WGS this time around). Why is that? Maybe because there is no dosh to splash? Don't think they wouldn't sell if there was the right offer. And look at some of the dross they're linked with. Not having CL has hit them hard, really hard, so that having no debt is almost immaterial. What I'm saying is would you rather be in their shoes? And these days any ambitious club will have huge debts. Look at the top EPL outfits - not one is debt-free.

We've had the great SDM debate on this forum many times, and while I feel uneasy because he wants out, I fear the arrival of some unknown foreign consortium far worse; until we know who can replace him, I think we just have to make the best of things. Guess you'll say that I'm just a glass half-empty type.:devil:

IMO the replacement of SDM is a different topic of debate to the one you originally suggested Alex.

Your initial riposte was that the reason we were in the mire was to do with the failure of managers to get us into the CL, not that SDM is "the best we have".

I agree with you in that we simply dont know who would, or wants, to replace SDM so we have him whether we like it or not. That doesnt, though, mean he should be absolved of any and all criticism.

Re the spiralling debt I think that many of us believed that we were purchasing world class players with one eye on the EPL - I think that SDM was too. However, that is where the commonality in responsibility ends - SDM has an obligation to the shareholders and all other stakeholders to run the club on a fiscally prudent basis.

The likelihood of entering the EPL has ALWAYS been fraught with MANY challenges, some of which have always looked insurmountable.

Given the above, SDM should never have simply opened the chequebook for the sake of it if that was where he felt we would end up - unless of course he was prepared to bail the club out it it all went pear-shaped.

To be fair he DID bail the club out with the rights issue - albeit moving the debt from the club to one of his other MIM companies - but he did bail the club out.

However, where he is absolutely and totally at fault and showed alarming mismanagement was when, after that debt was largely eliminated he subsequently allowed it to spiral again. To err once can be understood, to do it a second time is unforgivable, especially when it happened AFTER he brought Eck in, and Bain as CEO, with the remit of "bringing the clubs finances under control".

So he tells them to bring the club finances under control and, in Eck's defence, he did that and still had us challenging, he then allowed it to spiral again. The Kaunas debacle was the catalyst for it and we ALL wanted players brought in - but if the money isnt there then you shouldnt spend it - it really is that simple.

So he tells them to bring the club finances under control and, in Eck's defence, he did that and still had us challenging, he then allowed it to spiral again. The Kaunas debacle was the catalyst for it and we ALL wanted players brought in - but if the money isnt there then you shouldnt spend it - it really is that simple.

Craig can you do workshops for Gersnetter's wives.:)