WALTER SMITH today hinted he will be starting the new season with the same faces - despite the fact the Ibrox exodus has begun in earnest.

Barry Ferguson is expected to travel to Birmingham today for talks with former boss Alex McLeish.

The midfielder will embark on a second stint in the Premiership in a deal that will earn Rangers �£1m, with that fee rising with various add-ons, and free up his �£25,000-a-week wages.

Andy Webster is also on the move, with the injury-plagued defender set for a season-long loan at Tannadice. The defender has made just one appearance for Rangers since signing from Wigan, but Dundee United manager Craig Levein believes he can give the 27-year-old a new lease of life.

United will take of part of the responsibility of Webster's wages and it is an opportunity for the player to rebuild a career that has been derailed because of repeated injuries.

Brahim Hemdani, Christian Dailly and Graeme Smith have also all moved on, clearing over �£30,000 a week from the pay-roll.

But in an admission of just how tight the finances are the club, Smith revealed today that he doesn't expect to be bringing any new faces on board for the start of the season.

Instead, the onus will be placed on youth as Rangers tighten their belts.

Smith told the Rangers News: "Basically our squad will be the same as last season, and hopefully the younger ones can add to that as well.

"John Fleck came through last season and we think players like Danny Wilson and Jamie Ness are ready to follow him."

Meanwhile, despite reports that Madjid Bougherra is attracting interest from Wigan and Bordeaux, Rangers say they have had no approaches, nor do they want any.

But, in the current climate, everyone has their price and a mega-offer for the Algerian would be hard to turn down.

The French club, however, have distanced themselves from any approach.

"Someone called me," said Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud. "I don't know if it was the agent of the player, the agent of the agent or someone else.

"We have had no contact with Rangers. Maybe Laurent Blanc is interested but he hasn't told me."

:(

I believe our team/squad is better than the MOPES,everybody keeps shouting '' give some of the youths a chance '', we all know we are skint so I don't expect to see any big signings as we keep being told,so far all the players that seem to be leaving were not first team regulars,with maybe the exception of BF.As for the CL well it is all about how much money we can make as I don't think we can expect to do anything in the CL.

But we knew we wouldn't be signing anyone when Walter touted KT's return as "like signing a new player" a few weeks ago. The club have been breaking it to us since last season ("28 too big a squad" etc.).

Correct. The situation has improved from 'very bad' to 'bad' as a result of CL qualification. Not sure what people are expecting tbh, sad as it might be.

I will be dissapointed if we dont bring anyone in

but i understand the financial climate and the clubs plight

but always look forward to the new season with a few new faces and see how they gel into the team and progress.

We have a young squad with good potential if played correctly by WS

let the tims blow �£4M on mediocre players thats what he is the fortune signing

Mowbray was Celtics 4th or 5th choice as manager after the rest told them were to go, The Celtic fans are very thickle and will be masked by the illusoion that a prodicle son and Celtic man is in charge and not a mediocre manager who hasnt won a thing as a player or a manager.

Title 53 here we come :spl:

Even their 'prodigal son' pish is a sham. For context, Tony Mowbray played the same number of games for Celtic as Maurice Ross did for Rangers. Hardly a legend!

Aye but he is a Pure Celic Man Fae Norwich ;) through and through ha ha

"The squad will be basically the same" does not sound like no signings to me.

Dailly and Hemdani are gone. Fergie and Webster look about away. At least another 4 or so to go if everyone is right about the squad cutting.

However I still think we will see 2-3 players coming in if we can get the dead wood out.

LIke I said on the Boogie thread, if we only bring in Tonel, move on some dead wood and get guys like Fleck, Aaron and Ness involved whilst retaining our top performers. I'll be happy.

I really hope the barry money lets us keep Boogie, but I suppose you couldn't grudge the guy a move to a team from his homeland (I know, I know but come on he's really French) playing CL football.

Agree with SA, we will see new signings.