No signings....just what we currently have...how would you like WS to set us up for this season:

Mine:

__________________Alexander_________________

Whittaker_____Bougherra____Weir__________Papac

______Davis________Thomson______Mendes______

____________________Novo____________________

___________Miller____________Lafferty__________

I hope to see Edu, Aaron and Fleck involved as much as possible.

No signings....just what we currently have...how would you like WS to set us up for this season:

Mine:

One way to get these involved is to change the system so we don't have to rely on wide players as in a normal 4-4-2.

So we have...

Alexander

Whittaker Boogie Weir/Broadfoot Papac

Edu Thomson

Davis Mendes Fleck

Lafferty

I think Benitez had this system - with 2 sitting midfielders - some years ago at Valencia. The only downside for us is that there is no place for Boyd because we know it's not his game to play lone striker. However, there is a sure place for him as a sub (or impact player as they now seem to call them).

I think it could be ideal to have Edu and Thomson together as it gives a right-foot, left foot balance, and Davis and Fleck can be given licence to drift about in support of Lafferty. Whether we get enough goals this way it remains to be seen, but I'd like to see this tried, at least in Europe. Aaron could be an alternative for Fleck or Davis, who I would always have in my first X1, despite his detractors. Hell, we could even squeeze Charlie Adam into this system (steady, now!).

Mine:

That is almost the same team as I posted in another thread. The only difference being that I had Fleck in the slot rather than Novo. I love the wee man but I dont think I could ever be convinced that he could be the man to play a killer pass to unlock a defence. He wouldnt be our worst option there though.

With the number of CM's we have I think that a 4-3-3 is the proper formation for us... BUT.... the full-backs need to be given licence to, and have the desire to, get past the 3 midfielders to assist the attack.

I am actually quite enthused that WS was going to start with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 against Sportfreund. He was using Lafferty on one side and Naismith on the other IIRC. His 3 CM's were going to be Thomson, Mendes and Adam (and I think Adam might be able to do a job in that role). Velicka was to play the striker's role.

When not in possession Lafferty and Naismith would sit in to make a 5 man midfield but as soon as we get the ball they would break to make it a 3-pronged attack.

I think Benitez had this system - with 2 sitting midfielders - some years ago at Valencia. The only downside for us is that there is no place for Boyd because we know it's not his game to play lone striker. However, there is a sure place for him as a sub (or impact player as they now seem to call them).

Funny you mentioned that, I had this team to start with:

_____________________Alexander___________________

Whittaker_______Bougherra______Weir___________Papac

____________Edu______________Thomson____________

_________Davis_____________________Mendes________

___________Miller_______________Lafferty____________

Not much width but a solid line up!

And very stupid !!!

Against St Mirren Boyd can play but he has proved thats his level! In Old firm games and CL then he cant be starting. I still laugh at people comparing him to Super Ally.....go watch Ian's post against the tims in 1990 with Coisty came on and did that shuffle to sit Bonnar on his ass....Boyd couldnt even have kept up the ball.

Boyd thread loyal :box:

I like having Boyd in the team in a 4-4-2 but here is the rub..... When Lafferty has played up top he has shown glimpses that he offers more to the team than Boyd but also that he may very well possess the predatory instincts of Boyd.

Right now Boyd would still have to be the first option in a 2 man front pairing because he hasnt really let us down. But Lafferty has as much in his locker as Boyd does. He hasnt really ben given an appropriate opportunity to show it as a STRIKER yet.

I remember his goal v Hearts (or was it Utd ?) at Ibrox which gave us a 2-0 win when the keeper came out to stop BF from scoring and Lafferty stroked the rebound in. I remember thinking that I doubted Boyd would have scored with it.

Boyd seems to, at times, lose his composure and lash at the ball, Lafferty looks cool as ice most of the time.

Lafferty needs a run in the team up front to see what he offers.

But Boyd has not let us down, has once again been our top scorer, and his contribution to the TEAM has improved considerably. For these reasons Boyd deserves to be the 1st choice striker at the start of the season.

Perhaps it should be Miller that drops out of the team and we go with Boyd and Lafferty up front. Lafferty is more mobile than Boyd (not as much as Miller) and offers something different.

Erm...quite easily :)

boring boring...........:box:

So if we dropped the only proven goal scorer over the last 3 seasons you would be happy?

So we play a hard worker who scores occasionally and someone who might, yes might, score goals but then again might not. A very big gamble I'd say and as Jon said very stupid IMO also........

I like Lafftery and hope he does well but he would never get a game before Boyd for me.