Against St Mirren Boyd can play but he has proved thats his level! In Old firm games and CL then he cant be starting. I still laugh at people comparing him to Super Ally.....go watch Ian's post against the tims in 1990 with Coisty came on and did that shuffle to sit Bonnar on his ass....Boyd couldnt even have kept up the ball.

Boyd thread loyal :box:

He needs to be given a chance on a regular basis against the so called bigger teams before it's said he doesn't do it against them...........

He needs to be given a chance on a regular basis against the so called bigger teams before it's said he doesn't do it against them...........

Couldn't agree more. I'm hoping he'll at least get a chance in the Champions League home games.

Against St Mirren Boyd can play but he has proved thats his level! In Old firm games and CL then he cant be starting. I still laugh at people comparing him to Super Ally.....go watch Ian's post against the tims in 1990 with Coisty came on and did that shuffle to sit Bonnar on his ass....Boyd couldnt even have kept up the ball.

Poor show Gribz, you really do talk some mince. :fish:

That is almost the same team as I posted in another thread. The only difference being that I had Fleck in the slot rather than Novo. I love the wee man but I dont think I could ever be convinced that he could be the man to play a killer pass to unlock a defence. He wouldnt be our worst option there though.

With the number of CM's we have I think that a 4-3-3 is the proper formation for us... BUT.... the full-backs need to be given licence to, and have the desire to, get past the 3 midfielders to assist the attack.

I am actually quite enthused that WS was going to start with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 against Sportfreund. He was using Lafferty on one side and Naismith on the other IIRC. His 3 CM's were going to be Thomson, Mendes and Adam (and I think Adam might be able to do a job in that role). Velicka was to play the striker's role.

When not in possession Lafferty and Naismith would sit in to make a 5 man midfield but as soon as we get the ball they would break to make it a 3-pronged attack.

I remember your team and thought it was probably our best option for a 4-4-2. For me Novo has earned a starting role, he shows time and time again he will give 110% and he scores important goals. Im not sure of his best role, he is equally effective on the right or upfront so giving him a free role behind 2 strikers might bring something else to the team.

As you say Im intrigued also by what WS' team and formation will be. We still have many options upfront.

Cant wait for the season to start!

No signings....just what we currently have...how would you like WS to set us up for this season:

This is a pointless exercise until the transfer window closes in over a months time. Unless you want to start a Boyd debate Gribz. Aye, like you would do that eh... :whistle:

This is a pointless exercise until the transfer window closes in over a months time. Unless you want to start a Boyd debate Gribz. Aye, like you would do that eh... :whistle:

Erm so pointless that it made you reply?? :fish:

That was probably the most pointless post Ive ever read!!

Whats the purpose of a forum??? - To debate and share opinions maybe?? If someone doesnt believe or doesnt like what they read then its pointless being on a forum in the first place.

boring boring...........:box:

So if we dropped the only proven goal scorer over the last 3 seasons you would be happy?

So we play a hard worker who scores occasionally and someone who might, yes might, score goals but then again might not. A very big gamble I'd say and as Jon said very stupid IMO also........

I like Lafftery and hope he does well but he would never get a game before Boyd for me.

Johnny mate, as I said its all about opinions. I said id have Boyd for half of the SPL games, he will score goals in those games against the lower sides - thats a gimme! But he wont score or play well in bigger matchers, surely you know that!

Like you, I like Lafferty and think he has a huge part to play but he has to be played upfront. On the left he looked lost but when he was played upfront he was a different player.

For me our best defence is a solid offence. Id love to see us to at teams this year with 3 upfront - Miller, Lafferty and Novo.

The thing is Gribz, St Mirren is our level. We play them a minimum of 3 times a season. We need him to score goals against teams like St Mirren, Hamilton and Killie.

I'd like to see us start the season with Lafferty and Miller upfront and a new centre half.

Although Boyd is our top scorer with nobody else chipping in much, that's partly due to the way that we play. A new centre half would mean the back 4 could play higher up the park allowing our midfield to do so also. This should result in more goals coming from the midfield.

With Lafferty being a lot more mobile than Boyd, it would also assist in more chances being created for the team as a whole, and dropping Boyd wouldn't necessarily mean less goals for the team.