With Lafferty being a lot more mobile than Boyd, it would also assist in more chances being created for the team as a whole, and dropping Boyd wouldn't necessarily mean less goals for the team.

I like your way of thinking but WS seems to lean towards a negative style of play so midfielders puishing further up the park isn't an obvious move if we bring in a younger, fitter replacement for Weir.

Last season one of our problems was that our midfield was sitting far too deep and not supporting the attackers. When balls dropped outside the box no one was there to pick the ball up. Hopefully WS can address that problem for the new season starting.

I'd like to see us start the season with Lafferty and Miller upfront and a new centre half.

Although Boyd is our top scorer with nobody else chipping in much, that's partly due to the way that we play. A new centre half would mean the back 4 could play higher up the park allowing our midfield to do so also. This should result in more goals coming from the midfield.

With Lafferty being a lot more mobile than Boyd, it would also assist in more chances being created for the team as a whole, and dropping Boyd wouldn't necessarily mean less goals for the team.

Only time will tell but I think we wouldn't score as many without him, just my opinion going on his proven record since he's been here.......

Only time will tell but I think we wouldn't score as many without him, just my opinion going on his proven record since he's been here.......

Have to agree there. With the exception of Velicka and possibly Lafferty our other strikers (Miller and Novo) panic when they're in front of goal and often miss more than they score.

Boyd needs to play.

I like your way of thinking but WS seems to lean towards a negative style of play so midfielders puishing further up the park isn't an obvious move if we bring in a younger, fitter replacement for Weir.

Last season one of our problems was that our midfield was sitting far too deep and not supporting the attackers. When balls dropped outside the box no one was there to pick the ball up. Hopefully WS can address that problem for the new season starting.

I am totally convinced that's because of Weir and his lack of pace. Replace him with a new centre half and the whole team should play differently.

I'd love it someone could actually prove/disprove this.

It gets trotted out a lot but i'm not 100% convinced, though I do tend to it perhaps being correct. With more mobile forwards we might well create more chances.

If we are taking a smaller percentage of them, though, what's the point?

Exactly S_A.

Dropping Boyd we may very well have more chances created - but if we are relying on Miller and Novo to score those chances then we will score less %age-wise - both of them have that tendency to shit themselves when a goalscoring chance presents itself.

I thought Miller contributed well last season but I wouldnt be overly confident if he was to be our main goalscoring threat.

Wee Novo is a legend - but that doesnt mean he will be our saviour. Yes, he will give 110% as Gribz says, but 110% with no composure will still mean a LOT of missed chances.

Lafferty for me is a different type of player to Boyd and, IMO, could very well complement Boyd - they are both quite tall so there is the tendency to consider them similar in style but I dont see it that way. Lafferty is more mobile than Boyd and more able to run the channels.

For me my initial front-pairing would be Boyd and Lafferty.

I know that it isnt where it should be but it also has to be said that Boyd did make the effort to improve his all-round game when WS and AM said he needed to provide more to the team. He made strides to being a better player last season and he therefore, IMO, at least deserves to start the season as our 1st choice striker.

The good thing is that if any of our strikers arent cutting it then we certainly have options.

Exactly S_A.

Dropping Boyd we may very well have more chances created - but if we are relying on Miller and Novo to score those chances then we will score less %age-wise - both of them have that tendency to shit themselves when a goalscoring chance presents itself.

I thought Miller contributed well last season but I wouldnt be overly confident if he was to be our main goalscoring threat.

Wee Novo is a legend - but that doesnt mean he will be our saviour. Yes, he will give 110% as Gribz says, but 110% with no composure will still mean a LOT of missed chances.

Lafferty for me is a different type of player to Boyd and, IMO, could very well complement Boyd - they are both quite tall so there is the tendency to consider them similar in style but I dont see it that way. Lafferty is more mobile than Boyd and more able to run the channels.

For me my initial front-pairing would be Boyd and Lafferty.

I know that it isnt where it should be but it also has to be said that Boyd did make the effort to improve his all-round game when WS and AM said he needed to provide more to the team. He made strides to being a better player last season and he therefore, IMO, at least deserves to start the season as our 1st choice striker.

The good thing is that if any of our strikers arent cutting it then we certainly have options.

Agree with the last two points very much.

He has earned the right to be first choice at the minute. Be that with KL or KM.

And as you say if it doesn't work, we have options.

Boyd and Lafferty my first choice pairing too, hands down.

Had hoped someone may come in with a cheeky wee bid for Miller but cant see that happening.

love him or hate him he's a decent squad player to have IMO..........

I think the 4-3-3 formation that we started with today will be what we will use next season, it was the same formation we played on the last day against Dundee Utd

Only change is Adam out & Thomson in, we can play 5 in midfield with Lafferty & Miller dropping back, or 4 in midfield with Lafferty on the left