Emirates Tournament thread

Great performance yesterday and was good to see McCulloch proving all his doubters wrong by taking a grip of most of the first half ! Thomson then came on and done the same job.

Anyone think we played better with Boydy up front ? Also Naisy looked really good, coming on being positive, hitting them with pace unlike Nacho !!

Mendes was different class though, see his first touch past Gallas with the heel then played a world cup winning pass through to Boydy !!!

Brilliant performance yesterday, here is hoping no one picked up any knocks and can start with our full XI again today !!!

Pretty much agree with all your comments.

Re: Boyd, I saw someone make this assertion elsewhere and it was a pretty good point:

The reason we were more dangerous with Boyd is that although perhaps he does not run around like a blue arse fly, when he does make a run he knows where to make it, to move into an area where he can hurt the opposition. He might lack pace and that cost him the opportunity that you refer to where Mendes set him up. But his runs and movement into space are very intelligent.

Pretty much agree with all your comments.

Re: Boyd, I saw someone make this assertion elsewhere and it was a pretty good point:

The reason we were more dangerous with Boyd is that although perhaps he does not run around like a blue arse fly, when he does make a run he knows where to make it, to move into an area where he can hurt the opposition. He might lack pace and that cost him the opportunity that you refer to where Mendes set him up. But his runs and movement into space are very intelligent.

Spot on mate !!

He just needs to look across the line better at times. A few occasions yesterday i was like play Boyd in he is in tons of space !!! Very intellegent play from Boyd, just needs to time the run a fraction better !!

Miller was dangerous at the start but then the service dried up. Liking this 4-3-3 formation it gives us a great balance, with our Midfield controlling the game, full backs pushing up when we can to support and give width, the the 3 up front which we have alot of choice, Boyd, Miller, Lafferty & Velicka all the up top, with Miller, Naismith, Novo, Lafferty, Fleck, Aaron can all support.

Spot on mate !!

He just needs to look across the line better at times. A few occasions yesterday i was like play Boyd in he is in tons of space !!! Very intellegent play from Boyd, just needs to time the run a fraction better !!

Miller was dangerous at the start but then the service dried up. Liking this 4-3-3 formation it gives us a great balance, with our Midfield controlling the game, full backs pushing up when we can to support and give width, the the 3 up front which we have alot of choice, Boyd, Miller, Lafferty & Velicka all the up top, with Miller, Naismith, Novo, Lafferty, Fleck, Aaron can all support.

When we were dominating the open half hour, Miller looked very good. Always offering himself, took the ball in well a few times and found a team mate. I just think he needs to be playing with someone who offers a genuine goal threat. His workrate and running up front do help us keep possession better than if say Boyd was upfront, but for all that we still seem impotent ourself.

From an interview with Naisy on the official site (link posted in the new forum) it seems the players are happier with the formation too.

Boydy scores an I'll be texting Gibz so dont worry ;)

Ha ha. :thup:

A goal against Arsenal in a pre-season friendly wouldn't prove anything (nor would a failure to score) but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to noise up some of his detractors. :devil: