The Last Day Rumours, Departures & Signings

If we do take anyone in I expect it to be loan deals.

But surely a CB has to be first priority or at least bringing Webster back. There is no way we can go through a full season and expect Bougherra and Weir not to miss any games. The current cover we have is more than concerning.

Bougherra will be at the African Nations Cup !

I can see us loaning in a defender in January, no need for one this now. Got good enough cover !

You being serious Fraser ? Who is the decent cover between now and January ?

McCulloch ? No thanks, bombscare waiting to happen !

Papac ? Even when CB was his preferred position I didnt rate him there.

Broadfoot ? Cant be him as he is injured.

Wilson ? Untested and unproven at this level.

Who do you see as providing decent cover ? No-one we have is suitable in my opinion !

You being serious Fraser ? Who is the decent cover between now and January ?

McCulloch ? No thanks, bombscare waiting to happen !

Papac ? Even when CB was his preferred position I didnt rate him there.

Broadfoot ? Cant be him as he is injured.

Wilson ? Untested and unproven at this level.

Who do you see as providing decent cover ? No-one we have is suitable in my opinion !

Not only these points Fraser, but what about if Bougherra gets injured / suspended between now and january. We have to win the league again this season and make sure we get in the CL next year also for cash and that means consistantly winning all season.

Plus we want to make a good account of ourselves in this seasons CL. We wont get a better chance to qualify for the last 16 than this year. A CB is a absolute must IMO.

We have plenty !

Weir

Boogie

Papac

Broadfoot

Wilson

Then Lee & Edu can cover if needed !!

If you aren't comfortable with Broadfoot and Papac in central defence then those 2 shall leave as well then ?

Wilson would slot in nicely i would think along side Weir !!

We have plenty !

Weir

Boogie

Papac

Broadfoot

Wilson

Then Lee & Edu can cover if needed !!

If you aren't comfortable with Broadfoot and Papac in central defence then those 2 shall leave as well then ?

Wilson would slot in nicely i would think along side Weir !!

No disrespect Fraser but your argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.

You have to take Weir & Bougherra out as they are the starters. So that leaves, according to you, Papac, Broadfoot, Wilson, McCulloch & Edu. Correct ?

Broadfoot & Edu are injured so you have to discount them too.

IIRC Broadfoot is out till November and even then wont be match fit. Not wise to throw someone in that has been out for such a long time.

Edu is not going to be back until October by the looks of things. Even if he was fit can you tell me what makes you so confident that he would perform well in the SPL as a CB ? There is no evidence of this and it would more than likely take him time to adjust to it, especially when it isnt his chosen position.

Papac, when he did play CB under PLG, looked poor. I think he has found his position at LB. He wouldnt instill confidence in me if he played at CB.

McCulloch As I said, he is a bombscare waiting to happen if he plays at CB. Almost as slow as Weir ! No thanks.

Wilson Simply not tested at this level. Has yet to play a first team game yet you suggest he would "slot in nicely" beside Weir - again, what gives you such confidence in that ? As a 17 yr old he probably hasnt fully developed physically and could struggle against more physical SPL attackers. And if he has a nightmare, what will it do for his confidence ?

I am all for bringing Wilson in beside either Weir or Bougherra but not necessarily for a consistent run of games. But you are suggesting we dont need a new CB because he could handle a run of games for the African Nations Cup plus any injuries or suspensions ??

Aside from Wilson the ONLY natural CB in that list is Broadfoot and he is out injured long-term. Papac I no longer consider a CB. We need to have players playing in their natural position, not shoe-horning players into positions they are not comfortable in.

As for this statement "If you aren't comfortable with Broadfoot and Papac in central defence then those 2 shall leave as well then" that is just silly. Papac is 1st choice LB and given Stevie Smith is our only other natural LB why would anyone want to see Papac leave just because they are not comfortable with him playing at CB ??

Lets hope we see Wilson given some starts in cup ties if we don't bring in a CB.

This is what gets me. You have to suspect that the management team knew that the likelihood of bringing in new players was very slim - therefore Wilson should have been given games in pre-season to gauge his progression. But instead they insisted on a 39 yr old guy playing every single pre-season game.

Makes no sense to me. Even if it were the case that we were going to bring in a CB surely the time to give a young CB playing time is when it doesnt matter - pre-season games ?

I agree though, given how threadbare our squad is and that it is likely we will need to utilise the younger players we should, for this season at least, be using the CIS as a competition to blood the younger players.

This is what gets me. You have to suspect that the management team knew that the likelihood of bringing in new players was very slim - therefore Wilson should have been given games in pre-season to gauge his progression. But instead they insisted on a 39 yr old guy playing every single pre-season game.

Makes no sense to me. Even if it were the case that we were going to bring in a CB surely the time to give a young CB playing time is when it doesnt matter - pre-season games ?

Did Wilson not play his pre-season in Ireland with the reserves?