The Last Day Rumours, Departures & Signings

I think you're being a bit harsh on Serie A and La Liga there. Not to mention the Champions League.

PS - I didn't know Scotland was in the far east :P

It's not EPL, La Liga or anything else.

It's Man U, Real and that's about it. Maybe the rest of England's big 4 and Barca. At a push maybe even Juve and AC.

What of Bayern Munichs global branding? Or Porto or Ajax?

Is chasing the foreign markets realistically and financially viable and worthwhile?

I look at Ronaldo as an example of what CAN be done in terms of making money from signing a player.

Madrid are convinced they will make their 80 mill back in merchandising and additiona sponsorshups etc.

However, Madrid are very much a global brand. Could Celtic honestly expect to receive additional sponsorship from China just because they sign their captain ? I doubt it. Wol they make that much more in merchandising ? Again I doubt it. I am sure I saw a documentary which stated that the Asian nations are more likely to follow a player than a team (other than their Chinese team) and even though this chap is Chinese he is hardly the draw (even for Asians) that a Ronado or Beckham are.

I dont believe they are making that much from these Asian signings. I doubt they even got close to break-even on Najamura. His transfer fee, signing on fee and wages would have been far higher than any revenue they got from marketing him.

I would prefer to sign a player on ability - although.... would be nice to sign a quality player and make money off him - wait a minute..... we already did that with Boumsong and Cuellar - now THAT is proof of making money off a player.

Man Utd will make good money, but they (folk from the far east) don't care about anything other than the EPL.

Considering i live here I can vouch that this is pretty much true except it goes further, the majority only really care about Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. Chelsea are getting more popular though and Man City are getting quite a bit of media coverage now.

They do love the EPL and the amount of TV coverage out here is 2nd to none - every EPL game is on live but if you go to pubs you will only get to see the big 4.

La Liga and Serie A is on the up due to the coverage now also. Only recently have they started put these leagues been on TV and la Liga are beginning to benefit - or maybe barca and Real. The German, Dutch and SPL are all covered also but there is little interest.

Considering i live here I can vouch that this is pretty much true except it goes further, the majority only really care about Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. Chelsea are getting more popular though and Man City are getting quite a bit of media coverage now.

They do love the EPL and the amount of TV coverage out here is 2nd to none - every EPL game is on live but if you go to pubs you will only get to see the big 4.

La Liga and Serie A is on the up due to the coverage now also. Only recently have they started put these leagues been on TV and la Liga are beginning to benefit - or maybe barca and Real. The German, Dutch and SPL are all covered also but there is little interest.

Sounds like football tv heaven over there Gribzy ?? :giruy:

Although you still have to watch your arse in that country with all the ladyboys !! :devil:

Sounds like football tv heaven over there Gribzy ?? :giruy:

Although you still have to watch your arse in that country with all the ladyboys !! :devil:

Ridiculous amount, even the Championship games can be on if its decent match, but it can all be on at silly times though especially the champions league.

Maybe I'll send a ladyboy over to you to unvirgin you ya wee shite :flipa:

Ridiculous amount, even the Championship games can be on if its decent match, but it can all be on at silly times though especially the champions league.

Maybe I'll send a ladyboy over to you to unvirgin you ya wee shite :flipa:

Do they understand football though ? Bet they all don't know the offside rule !!

I want to keep my shite pipe virgined thanks :)

I would prefer to sign a player on ability

Obviously that should be the priority. :)

although.... would be nice to sign a quality player and make money off him

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be looking. The terms Asian and Far East are quite broad after all and the game in some nations is of a higher standard than others.

The Japanese national side has some really decent youngsters coming through at the moment, some of which are already attracting interest from the likes of Madrid and Barcelona.

Unless SPL teams had control over their broadcasting rights the whole thing's a busted flush imo...the traditional Scottish markets, Canada/Oz-NZ/USA are still there, but I feel interest is declining outwith the hardcore.

Bluntly, it if ain't EPL it ain't worth a fuck.

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be looking. The terms Asian and Far East are quite broad after all and the game in some nations is of a higher standard than others.

The Japanese national side has some really decent youngsters coming through at the moment, some of which are already attracting interest from the likes of Madrid and Barcelona.

Oh I quite agree that we should be looking. We should be scouring the world, not just Asia and not just Europe.

There is the thing though UCF...... if Madrid & Barcelona are looking at these players what chance do you honestly think the OF have of getting them ? And if Madrid and Barcelona are scouring that continent you can bet the EPL elite along with the Serie A elite are too.

The better asian players will end up in those leagues.

I am not suggesting that you cant find a nugget but this thread wasnt about finding asian players but more about whether THEY are making money from their asian exploits. I personally doubt they are.