Rothen Signs - Welcome to Ibrox

0,,5~7032514,00.jpg

Kinda looks like Vidic !!

Looks fooking miserable... should fit into the dour Scottish game then!!

Happy we have strengthened, but we have failed to strengthen were it was needed most (not that I am saying midfield didn't need adding too). A Central defender was needed. We cannot rely on Boughy to run like a c_nt in every Euro CL game.

Still a very good addition, welcome to the Rangers WATP.

Also good to hear that big Dado recommended that he come to us as we are great. :spl:

What a wonderful surprise!

I'll admit that I haven`t seen him play for a while but when I did, I always thought he was a standout, particularly that year Monaco went all the way in the CL.

Welcome to The Rangers and of course.....

GIRUY bheasts:spl::giruy:

PSG fan on the new boy:

Hello Rangers Fans,

I'm a PSG fan and I thought i'd give you my opinion about Jer�´me Rothen, so you'll know what to expect.

I think most of you know him from his time in Monaco and the 2004 Champions League campaign. Back then most of Europe's big clubs wanted to sign him and he only moved to PSG because it was (and still is) the club he's been supporting all his life. His performances during the 5 years he spent in Paris were mixed. He suffered from many injuries and from a PSG team which got weaker every year, but still you could see that when Rothen played, PSG played better football.

He was about to leave PSG in January 2007, when coach Guy Lacombe didn't count on him anymore and PSG struggled in the depths of the Ligue 1, but then Lacombe got fired and the new coach Paul le Guen (who you know wink.gif ) convinced him to stay. In the following one and a half years PSG still battled against relegation, barely avoiding it during the 2007-2008 season, but Rothen was clearly the best player on the squad and was even named best left midfielder of the Ligue 1 by the french sports newspaper "l'Equipe".

After that, with the arrivals of players like Mak�©l�©l�©, Giuly or Sess�¨gnon, PSG played for european qualification again, but Rothen's performances were disappointing. He seemed less motivated, slowed the game down and most of his free kicks and corners landed in the goalkeeper's arms. Maybe this was due to the facts, that the team didn't depend on him anymore as it did before, so he thought that he didn't need to give it his all anymore and that PSG had nobody to take his place, so no matter how he played, he knew he would still be in the starting line-up , but fact of the matter is that he only played a few good games last season and that was against clubs like Le Havre or Nantes, which ended up relegated. Finally he wasn't okay with Le Guen leaving the club and verbally attacked the upper management, which left him no choice, but to leave PSG.

I can't say that I really know your squad, so I don't know about your team's needs, but from what I've read here so far, I understand that he's supposed to play as a left-winger. While this is the position he's played at for most of his career, PSG fans now agree that he would probably be better as a central midfielder next to a real number 6 or in left midfield in a 4-3-3. He might still be able to play as a left midfielder in a 4-4-2 but I think that as he gets older, this position will suit him less and less.

His strength has never been speed, but rather a really good protection of the ball, which forces the defender to either let him pass or foul him (and he is fouled a lot tongue.gif ). As most of you know he has a really strong left foot which allows him to deliver good crosses and passes. He's also able to shoot pretty well, but doesn't do so too often.

I read that most of you expect him to shoot good free kicks and corners but I fear that you're are going to be disappointed on that aspect. While some of them might be good and I think that of the seven assists he delivered last year a good few came from a set piece, most of his corners are too short and/or not strong enough and a relatively big amount of his free kicks seem to be aimed at the goalkeeper. Also don't expect him to score directly from a free kick, since I can only remember him doing that twice, and one of those two times was a pretty lucky goal against Marseille, where the free kick was supposed to be a cross but nobody touched it, which surprised the goalie.

To sum up I would say that you shouldn't expect the great player that went to the CL-Finals with Monaco, but a good player who's still able to deliver very good balls to the strikers, hold the ball for his own team and annoy the defenders. Also I believe that he will motivated by the challenges of playing for the Rangers and playing in the CL again (which he hasn't done since his first year with Paris). But you should also expect to be frustrated by his messed up set pieces (especially when you know he can do better) and by his habit of slowing down the pace of the game, even if there's a chance to counterattack.

Personnally I am a bit sad to see him leave PSG, since I believe that we need another offensive midfielder this year and Rothen is still a good player, but since he's in conflict with the upper management and a part of the PSG fans whistle every time he touches the ball, because of the disappointing season he just played, I think that his future isn't in Paris. So I hope the Rangers will profit from him and buy him at the end of the loan.

I hope this was helpful and not too long, feel free to ask questions.