He was drafted in at the end of last season due to injuries and did a decent job.

He started the first couple of games this season and did well only to be dropped like a stone.

He comes on against Hearts and turns the game only to be dropped again.

turns up again against the manks and holds his own.

When will walter acknowledge that this boy deserves a regular slot in the starting eleven? He has been one of the most consistent players game for game this season only to be overlooked when Smith gets his favourites fit.

He deserves a run in the team and a chance to reach the potential he showed before his injury. the boy has what it takes. I can see that.

and to think Smith almost gave him ST mirren for Free!

I agree that he's done really well when brought in & yet again looks very talented. Seems quite similar to Burke in the sense that he's had major injury problems. He's quite lightweight & prone to signal to the bench that he needs to come off. Anyway, I like the way he plays. He seems very intelligent going forward on the left wing, putting himself in great positions out wide & playing some brilliant crosses into the box. I hope we hold on to the guy, but is his contract not up next summer??

Papac has been very consistent so he was always going to struggle to oust him from that starting slot.

Which only leaves left midfield and he has done OK at LM. The Hearts game aside when he absolutely DID change the game I dont think he has been anything better than decent.

Given we seem to be playing 4-5-1 the wide players in the "5" need to be more attack-minded than Stevie Smith.

When we play 4-4-2 the 2 CM's are Thomson and Mendes, neither of whom are particularly known for their attacking prowess which means, again, we have to rely on the wide players to get forward. Smith does get forward but doesnt possess the skill to beat a player - play the ball off, make the run past a defender and collect again he can definitely do but he rarely looks to take a player on.

I like Stevie Smith as a player and would like to see him playing at LB as he offers more going forward than Papac but given just how consistent Papac has been it is hard to criticise playing him. And then, as I say, you are only left with left midfield and we have other options there too such as Rothen and Fleck.

I agree though, he seems to find himself dropped more than most, especially harsh after the Hearts game when he made all the difference.

Perhaps with how Papac played yesterday (seems to have played reasonably well) we could look at moping Papac in one (cant believe I am saying give Papac a run at CB), rest Weir and play Smith at LB.

Id have no problem with Papac moving to centre half long term, he hasnt been bad there at all, and that allows Smith in at LB. But at the moment Papac is and should be first pick at LB. He is arguably our most consistant performer in the last 12 months.

Its good to see Smith back and getting form back for the long term also but he cant be rushed after his injury problems.

I like Papac he's a no nonsense defender but Smith just gives the team a better option when going forward. Papac is like a headless chicken when on one of his attacking rampages.

I hope Stevie Smith outstays Walter Smith at Rangers. Whether or not he can put up with being juggled about all the time remains to be seen. I went to a few reserve games last season and he was the standout for most of these games.

Smith has been fit for months and months now. He's way past the stage of being rushed back.

Did Little get a start against Celtic ahead of Smith? Very strange.

No. They both started. Little at RB and Smith at LM.

You could say that was strange as we started those two and Whittaker at LB. Whittaker could have played RB, Smith LB and Rothen LM.

However, it was a decent tactical ploy from WS. By playing Smith at LM rather than Rothen he had a player who would offer his fullback more protection against McGeady.

I like Papac he's a no nonsense defender but Smith just gives the team a better option when going forward. Papac is like a headless chicken when on one of his attacking rampages.

I hope Stevie Smith outstays Walter Smith at Rangers. Whether or not he can put up with being juggled about all the time remains to be seen. I went to a few reserve games last season and he was the standout for most of these games.

Smith has been fit for months and months now. He's way past the stage of being rushed back.

Stevie Smith has definitely played left mid before, under Eck, well before Walter. I think he can play reasonably well there and I so really can't see it doing him any harm or making him want to leave.

I would say Stevie is now second choice for left back behind Papac and so is not a first pick and therefore will not get so many games. I like Craig's explanation of why he was chosen in front of Rothen.

no-one else think papac has been at the centre of most of wents wrong in the last few weeks?

i havent been impressed by his start to the season so far. Smith did very well covering for him when he was out for the first two games too.