I know it's not unique to Rangers but this sort of thing is worrying against a backcloth of Murray retreating into the shadows, rumours of the club being sold, a new chairman who no one ever sees, a manager who doesn't have a contract beyond January, continuing financial concerns, inability to bring in new blood through transfers, poor track record of inducting young players, and so on. In short, there are more than enough reasons for poor morale at rangers and I think what we are seeing with Bougherra is just another symptom of the sense of drift throughout the club ..... as is the run of absurdly poor performances by a team that could and probably should be dominating most teams in Scotland.

It's great to be top of the league but there are growing signs of the chaos that so often precedes the end of an era. Shades of 1985 and 1998? Everything I see says we've all but running out of the little steam we had and desperately need new leadership and direction .... at all levels.

Without going into what's happening at the top, I have to say that my fondness of Walter Smith is being depleted. The team aren't playing well at all, don't seem motivated & players are still being played out of position when they needn't be. If he keeps playing Lee McCulloch at CB when Bougherra or Weir are out, I think I'm joining one of these self-help groups. :whistle:

I'd agree.

Murray's retreat, as you put it, smacks of just not wanting to face the music at the club's poor financial problems caused by last year's loss, and resulting in the club's inability to sign anyone.

He has previous. He refused to face the shareholders, even though he was a director and owned the club, when he stood down as chairman before.

He is walking away from a situation that he has created and while it may allow his to sleep easier in bed, it has just created uncertainty throughout the club and it is suffering as a result.

I watched McCoist ranting at Kevin Thomson and felt totally depressed at the mess we're in yet again. If this management team can't fully prepare and send out a Rangers team in the right frame of mind from the kickoff then what the fukk are they picking up their salaries for. Running about like a madman says more about what wasn't done during the last two weeks than anything else.

But the uncertainties running throughout the club at the moment aren't making the job any easier either. It needs to be ended, and soon, or things will only deteriorate further.

Edited by maineflyer

I watched McCoist ranting at Kevin Thomson and felt totally depressed at the mess we're in yet again. If this management team can't fully prepare and send out a Rangers team in the right frame of mind from the kickoff then what the fukk are there picking up their salaries for.

And what are the players picking up their salaries for if they aren't going out in the right frame of mind.

I don't understand going into a sporting contest without focusing on anything other than giving your very best and aiming to win. If our players approached every match like that we'd win 95% of our games (domestically at least).

He shouldn't need a rocket up his arse and the players are very bit as much to blame for that as the management. If not more so.

Has no one else see the pics of our players standing around with rakes at Murray Park?? There's been caption comps with them. There's was one this week that was a pic of Novo, Thomson & Papac standing laughing at something. Thomson was standing leaning on a rake. Another one this week with McCulloch leaning on or holding a rake. Looks like our players having some ground keeping duties as well over there. :whistle:

Has no one else see the pics of our players standing around with rakes at Murray Park?? There's been caption comps with them. There's was one this week that was a pic of Novo, Thomson & Papac standing laughing at something. Thomson was standing leaning on a rake. Another one this week with McCulloch leaning on or holding a rake. Looks like our players having some ground keeping duties as well over there. :whistle:

They are raking in the cash that is why they were laughing.:whistle:

Couple of points. While it's worrying that we're playing so badly it should be remembered that when Martin O'Neil was a saint at Celtic it was incredibly fashionable to win ugly, to play badly and win and to be a bit lucky. In those days it was described as the traits of champions.

Secondly, I remember arriving two minutes late at a game against St Johnstone due to traffic only to have missed a Michael Mols goal but then see the most expensive Rangers team ever be outplayed by a very cheap team and even their 300 or so fans out sang 48,000 Rangers fans. The bringing on of a 12M striker did absolutely nothing to change the tide and the team hung on for a barely deserved victory. This was one of the mythical halcion days that some fans get misty eyed about, even though while we were able to compete financially, it still put us 70M in the red.

Despite a the most expensive team in Scottish history which almost crippled us financially, and despite having a manager reknowned for aesthetic, attacking football, we finished 15 points behind that season and with an empty trophy cabinet.

I think the big difference here is that despite spending nothing we've beaten Celtic, we're top of the league and have been playing less than compelling football for a couple of years while winning trophies. At least there is more excuse for playing badly against St Johnstone seeing as we have a cheaper team than all but the mostly lowly Premiership teams, while Flo et al cost more than the vast majority of teams in that league.

I also have a feeling we've no chance of hitting the lows we did under Advocaat's last season and a half. If we don't win the league (and I think we will), I believe it'll be very close and I'm sure we'll win at least one trophy. I even predict a European run as good as any under Dick.

However, there is something wrong with the team at the moment but at least the management look like they are as angry as we are about it. I think there will be changes and things will improve but we'll also still get the odd bad performance and the odd bad result.

There does seem to be something missing and part of that seems to be a malfunctioning central midfield. Cammy has probably hit the nail on the head that Edu could make a big difference but that wouldn't be hard considering the current form of Mendes and Thomson - and Davis has looked no better through the middle.

McCulloch has looked ok but he just doesn't have the talent to stamp himself on the center of the park.

In addition we need quite a few players to get back to some kind of form and we're definitely a better team with Bougherra playing.

I predict changes in personnel and performances in the next few games.

But don't you think the players are holding all the cards?

Suppose Walter and Ally go into the office tomorrow, and the first thing on the agenda is the lack of fire from the go, especially in the middle. OK, says Walter, let's drop Kevin, to show them all. Who comes in?

Long silence.

The only alternative to the usual set up would be to go with Nacho and Naismith wide, with Boyd and Miller through the middle. Even then you'd still be using the same players in the middle, be it Mendes or Davis. Unless there's an alternative, like an Edu or a Barry, the players know that come hell or high water they'll be in the next team.

The management's hands are tied to such a ludicrous degree.