Nacho, Miller and Naismith are the most obvious to bring in for a start (although not all three at once) along with the return of Bougherra. Mendes is also highly likely to come back into the team.

There's not much we else can do in central midfield until Edu is fit which still seems like a long way away.

The biggest worrying sign for me is that of motivation and lack of commitment.

If players refuse to go the extra yard for an experienced manager like Smith and a former playing legend like McCoist, then I'd hate to see them play for someone with a lesser CV.

I'm happy we won on Saturday but I guess our inconsistent play this season does sum up the club as a whole at the moment. Everyone at the club should be asking themselves why consistency can't be achieved - including the support.

The higher class of player, the more consistent they are, the best players can perform at their best, more often than lesser players. It is why the 2 teams with the best players always win the SPL. The more we buy at the bottom of the market, the less consistent we will become. All Walter needs to do is be more consistent than the other lot.

That's fair enough CB but lack of quality shouldn't mean a lack of work-rate and commitment.

Sure our current Rangers squad is as poor as it has been for 20+ years but that doesn't explain the inability to complete a pass, control a simple ball or take a dangerous set-piece. The odd game where this happens I can accept (no-one is perfect) but the only consistent thing about our team this season is that we're below average in every department.

We can only hope we get better but unfortunately these problems have been evident now for long enough so are indicative of a struggling management/coaching set-up as well as poor quality players.

Yet they still get paid thousands in win bonuses for that performance? As I look around the country at the moment as people are paid off in their thousands because of a recession, that makes me physically sick.

That's fair enough CB but lack of quality shouldn't mean a lack of work-rate and commitment.

Sure our current Rangers squad is as poor as it has been for 20+ years but that doesn't explain the inability to complete a pass, control a simple ball or take a dangerous set-piece. The odd game where this happens I can accept (no-one is perfect) but the only consistent thing about our team this season is that we're below average in every department.

We can only hope we get better but unfortunately these problems have been evident now for long enough so are indicative of a struggling management/coaching set-up as well as poor quality players.

Yet they still get paid thousands in win bonuses for that performance? As I look around the country at the moment as people are paid off in their thousands because of a recession, that makes me physically sick.

I guess that was my point in the OP but I think Andy Steel nailed in post #10, management now lack the leverage that comes from having credible alternatives. Once that happens, they are open to what (I'm afraid) comes naturally to too many players.

My thinking on the management......with WS as Manager, I think we will win the League [as I said last season]. This does not mean I agree with everything he does [far from it]. With A McC. as manager I would not put my on us.

Now that begs the question in my mind, who can we get in WS place [now or in the summer]. Or put it another way, who can we afford to prise from their present employer. As we saw in the summer, what decent manager wants to work in the SPL.

Yep, I understand that so the management team should be - as a priority - renegotiating the bonus structure at the club as a first step to showing players constant under par displays are unacceptable.

And I certainly wouldn't be amiss to dropping a senior central midfielder such as Thomson or Davis for a younger player. Thomson's lack of sharpness can be attributed to his long spell injured. Davis has no excuse other than being shuttled about a bit too often. Rothen is an experienced player yet has contributed one decent 90mins so far.

Why shouldn't these players be dropped for a Fleck, Shinnie, Ness or AN Other. McCulloch has also been better than any of them in midfield so far this season despite the eagerness of some to blame him for everything wrong with the team.

The management and fans should not be held to ransom by under-performing players.

My thinking on the management......with WS as Manager, I think we will win the League [as I said last season]. This does not mean I agree with everything he does [far from it]. With A McC. as manager I would not put my on us.

Now that begs the question in my mind, who can we get in WS place [now or in the summer]. Or put it another way, who can we afford to prise from their present employer. As we saw in the summer, what decent manager wants to work in the SPL.

None.

And like I said, if these players won't play under Smith or McCoist they won't play under a Irvine or a Davies.

The man with the perm and the moustache may be the only one capable of stamping his authority but his managerial peak is arguably long gone.