I think the difference between Fleck and Wilson is that the former has not shown he's any better than what we have on the pitch. Wilson showed he can be at least our third best CB and as we only have two he can get a good run.

Fleck is still behind Boyd, Miller, Lafferty, Naismith and Novo, and even with most of them off form, the youngster still hasn't moved himself up the pecking order.

Wilson has shown Fleck what he needs to do.

I think the difference between Fleck and Wilson is that the former has not shown he's any better than what we have on the pitch. Wilson showed he can be at least our third best CB and as we only have two he can get a good run.

Fleck is still behind Boyd, Miller, Lafferty, Naismith and Novo, and even with most of them off form, the youngster still hasn't moved himself up the pecking order.

i thought fleck looked decent when he came on last night and thinking if played in correct postion he would be a better option than kenny miller who imo was shocking last night. not kenny fault he hasnt support but more me he is the most frustrating player we have.

I understand what you're saying,however,Wilson has had two and a half games at CB,his position,Fleck has never had any game time in his position. I thought Fleck looked good when he came on, maybe WS should play Fleck in his position and let us see if he is the player we have been told he is.

One could also make the point that Wilson has had the impressive Weir, Papac and McGregor helping him while Fleck has had little or no support from more senior midfielders.

That is probably a big factor - although you would think Papac would help both.

I still think the logic of putting a young striker on the wing has some validity, and if you can't play there then I can't see how you have anything much more to offer than Boyd who has a phenomenal scoring rate but without the all round game that would give him the ability to play on the wing.

Basically if you can't play half decently on the wing then it shows you're all round attacking game is lacking. You have to be a big target man like Hateley or a natural scorer like McCoist and Boyd to get away with it.

Fleck has never had any game time in his position.

He hasn't had much, but he did move into his preferred striker role in the second half against Dundee in the CIS cup & that's when he scored the goal for us from Nacho's lay-off. IIRC Fleck said himself in the post-match interview that he really enjoyed being able to move into his natural position in the 2nd half (not in those words though).

That is probably a big factor - although you would think Papac would help both.

I still think the logic of putting a young striker on the wing has some validity, and if you can't play there then I can't see how you have anything much more to offer than Boyd who has a phenomenal scoring rate but without the all round game that would give him the ability to play on the wing.

Basically if you can't play half decently on the wing then it shows you're all round attacking game is lacking. You have to be a big target man like Hateley or a natural scorer like McCoist and Boyd to get away with it.

If Wilson had played RB I bet we wouldn't be singing his praises the way we are now. As a young footballer playing with a professional club, in Scotland at least, you play your preffered position from the age of 14!! Fleck is a number 10/second striker. Once he's had a SINGLE GAME in that position; then I will judge him. Until then I will continue to refer to your "graduating from the wing" theory as tosh.

You want the best from a player, play them where they are comfortable. Especially youngsters FFS.

Edited by Cotter

If Wilson had played RB I bet we wouldn't be singing his praises the way we are now. As a young footballer playing with a professional club, in Scotland at least, you play your preffered position from the age of 14!! Fleck is a number 10/second striker. Once he's had a SINGLE GAME in that position; then I will judge him. Until then I will continue to refer to your "graduating from the wing" theory as tosh.

You want the best from a player, play them where they are comfortable. Especially youngsters FFS.

Couldn't agree more. Playing players out of position & expecting something great from them is idiocy at the best of times never mind when you're talking about youngsters coming through. We've got the likes of Lafferty that cost us millions getting played on the left wing when he's NEVER a winger because he doesn't have the pace. Another of our strikers who I've seen played on the wing is Miller & he actually has some pace, but FFS, he's never a winger. Fleck might be a back up option for the wing, but he should first & foremost be considered as a striker or supporting striker sitting centrally behind the front line.

Hundreds & hundreds of fans are absolutely slating Nacho Novo on other forums today because of his poor decision last night that gave away possession, but IMO Nacho shouldn't even have been brought on the park. That's another story though. My real point about Novo is that he's actually one of our strikers who's been able to make good use of his chance to play on the wings despite it not being his position. Naismith is another that has shown some promise as a winger, but other than that, none of our strikers should be played as wingers, not Miller, not Lafferty, not Boyd & not Fleck. We've actually got young pacey wingers btw, notably Wylde for the left, so why play other players out of position when we've got talent there just waiting to get a game?

I reckon Wilson will be following Boogie out the door in the not to distant future. The big guns of the Premiership have been following this young lad for months. I know it's early days in his first team career, so not wanting to get ahead of ourselves, but he's now jumped very much to the top half dozen of our most sellable players. Big offer in January and it could be a short Rangers career indeed.

As you say - now we know Wilson is good enough are there any others who are capable of playing first team football?

As for Bougherra in midfield then that's a NO from me. IMO the only reason he gets forward so often is that he gets more time on the ball in defence with no marker and has the option to take the ball forward unchallenged - something that you wouldn't be allowed the space or time to do from midfield.