When Berndt Schuster, the classy midfield libero, decided to abandon his international career in 1984 at the age of just 24, there was much wailing in West Germany. Despite the tears, though, the Jerries knew that they could call upon player of similar stature and continue to bestride the European and world stage. Germany's luxury of choice, though, has never been an option for Scotland, who are lucky to have one or two world class players per team.

How frustrating is it, then, when the few players we have whom you would rate highly are as likely to be standing beside you in the pub, watching the game, as they are to be on the pitch?

Another international week, another reason for Scotland fans to gnash their teeth in bitter frustration. Or perhaps just the Rangers fans amongst them, for they better than anyone know what form their keeper, Allan McGregor, is in. Owing to the contrived media storm over the V-sign controversy some months ago, of course, McGregor is unavailable for the Scotland-Wales game, and in the wake of Sunderland's Craig Gordon breaking his arm at the weekend, there is news today that St Mirren's Paul Gallagher has been called up.

I don't know much about Gallagher; he may be a very promising player for all I know, although at 30 you have to feel he's as good as he's going to be. His performance on Saturday, ironically enough against Rangers, didn't inspire much confidence, as he spilled the ball in the opening 20 seconds to present Kris Boyd with the dream start of a goal.

Scotland boss George Burley, who apparently went along with the decision to ban McGregor, can't be happy with this state of affairs. Instead of a goalie who is excelling at Champions League level, we have one who is at best average at SPL level.

We can't ignore McGregor's role in all this: I'd hate to see the player think that, due to his talent, he can do what he likes. Any recall would have to be accompanied by a very public statement about being in the last chance saloon! McGregor seems to be, from the outside anyway, a boy whose head has been turned - we Rangers fans have Walter Smith to thank for bringing him back from the graveyard of wasted talent and I doubt we would be thrilled in the SFA drove him there in a limo. I would bet, though, that we can trust him to behave this time.

Reversing his decision and picking McGregor would leave Burley open to charges of weakness, and indecision. So what? If he sticks with his current plan, he'll be criticised for being too dogmatic. In short, he can't win: so why doesn't he simply pick the best team, to get the best result?

I suppose this is a bit utopian, but I'd still like to think that the boss of Scotland is only interested in seeing Scotland win, rather than worrying about what some writer or fan may or may not say. It's bad enough that Boyd is unavailable due to a mix of poor management and petulance, but at least there are one or two forwards who are at least nearly as good as he is. In goals, we have Gordon and McGregor. That's it. We're in no position to be fussy here.

Grab the bull by the horns, George Burley! Pick up the phone. What have you got to lose? Only the game.

Edited by andy steel

In some ways I don't blame Burley for dropping McGregor but agree the punishment was too severe despite the schoolboy antics of our keeper and Ferguson last season.

I reckon Burley could address much of the ill-feeling and controversy about parts of his tenure by leading from the front and recalling both McGregor and Boyd for the Wales match. Right away, he'd then place the onus on the players and take the pressure off himself.

Marshall isn't bad but he's not as good as McGregor (or Alexander for that matter). Burley's inconsistency of selection means we have a weaker Scotland team. Only he can rectify that.

Or of course the SFA could have done the right thing and sacked Burley for failing to come in the top 2 in the easiest group possible, and dropping our nation quickly down the rankings that Walter and Alex had worked so hard to get us up into the top 20, and all with the same players of course.

At the removal of Burley, the SFA could have appointed the right man (Souness, surely) and wiped the slate clean and start again, allowing the manager to pick the best players available to him without conditions attached.

That would see a much stronger Scotland squad to allow us to at least pretend we can qualify for EURO 2012, instead of another few embarressments surely coming in the next campaign under Burley's charge, with lots of call-offs and reports of unrest and ill-discipline.

As for Burley going back and picking McGregor and/or Boyd, there is absolutely no chance of that coming from Burley, and probably even less chance either would accept a call-up from someone who has treated them so poorly in the past.

I don't think there's any doubt that Burley and the SFA handled things badly, but surely this could all be sorted by someone (be that Burley or McGregor/Boyd/Ferguson) being the bigger man and just asking to speak to the other about it. Or maybe it really is different now and players aren't that bothered about playing for their country. I know when I was growing up the thought of a Scotland cap seemed to be just as big a deal as playing for your club.

Just seems like a lose-lose situation for all concerned at the moment.

Incredibly poor management and poor foresight. If he doesn't have the man management skills to pull players into line with a private chat, he should at least have the intelligence to put in place a very straightforward, predictable and proportionate system of rules and punishment.

For example, dropping any of the Rangers players for a set number of games would have given him the option to bring them back when their ban is over without either losing any face.

Having a public bust up and vowing never to pick them again is just the actions of a guy who can't control or conduct himself with any integrity and bites of the nose of an already weak Scotland squad with a very weak manager.

It also does not instill the slightest respect from the rest of the players who are obviously not so motivated when playing for him than they were under two previous managers.

In the end, given the current situation, I may be biased but I'd have picked Alexander, who although hasn't played much, has proven to be pretty reliable and very able.

I don't think there's any doubt that Burley and the SFA handled things badly, but surely this could all be sorted by someone (be that Burley or McGregor/Boyd/Ferguson) being the bigger man and just asking to speak to the other about it. Or maybe it really is different now and players aren't that bothered about playing for their country. I know when I was growing up the thought of a Scotland cap seemed to be just as big a deal as playing for your club.

Just seems like a lose-lose situation for all concerned at the moment.

Playing for your country seems more of an honour when you are at least competing with other teams at the top level. When the team is a shambles, it's not so attractive to share in the inglorious failure.

Passionate about Scotland, damn right, always have been. Care about the Scottish football team, certainly used to but now ...... not a jot. Wouldn't go to a Scotland game now if they laid on a limo to the helicopter pad and paid me handsomely for the use of my time.

I keep hearing that Scottish football is dead or dying. Unfortunately, these comments are usually directed at the quality of players when it's clearly the cretins running the game who need to be surgically removed before they've finally administered the last rites.

Hello, first time post.

Just wanted to say on this matter, it's not really the V finger salute that annoys me. More the fact that in this day and age football players would be binge drinking so close to important matches. Scottish football and probably British in general is held back by poor dieting and drinking. Would Arsene Wenger allow his players to go out heavily drinking? I doubt it. Cesc Fabregas and Eduardo and co would spend their spare time maximising their fitness and looking after themselves. What's worrying from a Scottish perspective too is that apparently half the squad took part in this drinking session, yet just McGregor and Ferguson were punished. I possibly don't know the full story but I don't see why the others weren't given the same punishment. The v thing was then just the icing on the cake. After going against their managers wishes and drinking heavily near a big game, they then showed poor attitude. It says it all that the whole drinking thing seems to be incidental in this matter. If I were boss of football team I'd banish players from all alcohol other than maybe the odd social beer. And if they weren't happy then hard luck. I bet Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi don't go out and get pished at the weekends. The 9 in a row team infamously drank fairly heavily together, maybe if they didn't then they wouldn't have got given the run around in Europe so much.

To be honest, I don't think McGregor should be allowed back and it's debatable how good a keeper he really is. He's capable of some top saves but barely a week seems to go by without him making some sort of error. If it wasn't for his excellent performance away to Unirea, would we even be having this conversation?

Having grown up watching Goram and later Klos putting in world class performances, the last few years have been a culture shock.

Edited by Totti

Hello, first time post.

Just wanted to say on this matter, it's not really the V finger salute that annoys me. More the fact that in this day and age football players would be binge drinking so close to important matches. Scottish football and probably British in general is held back by poor dieting and drinking. Would Arsene Wenger allow his players to go out heavily drinking? I doubt it. Cesc Fabregas and Eduardo and co would spend their spare time maximising their fitness and looking after themselves. What's worrying from a Scottish perspective too is that apparently half the squad took part in this drinking session, yet just McGregor and Ferguson were punished. I possibly don't know the full story but I don't see why the others weren't given the same punishment. The v thing was then just the icing on the cake. After going against their managers wishes and drinking heavily near a big game, they then showed poor attitude. It says it all that the whole drinking thing seems to be incidental in this matter. If I were boss of football team I'd banish players from all alcohol other than maybe the odd social beer. And if they weren't happy then hard luck. I bet Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi don't go out and get pished at the weekends. The 9 in a row team infamously drank fairly heavily together, maybe if they didn't then they wouldn't have got given the run around in Europe so much.

To be honest, I don't think McGregor should be allowed back and it's debatable how good a keeper he really is. He's capable of some top saves but barely a week seems to go by without him making some sort of error. If it wasn't for his excellent performance away to Unirea, would we even be having this conversation?

Having grown up watching Goram and later Klos putting in world class performances, the last few years have been a culture shock.

Yeah right, Andy Goram never had a drink or ate a pie. Neither did Gazza, Jim Baxter, Colin Stein, Bud Johnston, or most of those in the Hall of Fame. Lord, protect me from the pious man.