I will second that.

Although these are very interesting times be it good or bad.

Christ, having that comfort would be such a relief... :thup:

It's probably because of the constant 'political' off-the-field stuff in recent years some of us forget what the game is all about on the park come Saturday (or Sunday) afternoon.

If we fell like that, can we really blame the players or management for also struggling to focus every week.

I think the pressure of this is more on the management than the players but at the same time it's up to the management to try to shield the players somewhat from the board room soap opera.

However, the players do seem to be affected lately and the disruption which seems to be coming from Bougherra really doesn't help. He's chosen a pretty crucial time to start rocking the boat.

I remember the fans protesting against John Greig's teams and outside the stadium , eventually they let their feet do the talking and change happened though that was a different era , the majority fans of today will and have accepted what ever dross is put in front of them and they still return .

I think this demonstrates why you may feel so at odds with your average fan. You obviously have don't think the same way as the masses.

I really want people to succeed in getting this point without the usual nonsense coming back. To understand anything you really have to listen to what people who disagree with you have to say.

The point here is huge: you are comparing Greig's era with now and trying to say they are the same. I think a lot of people on here are doing that quite often and when people disagree they accuse them of somehow burying their heads in the sand.

I think even a small child can see the difference between winning championships or even coming a close second to finishing 4th or 5th. They can see the difference in winning 3 cups out of 4 to winning the odd 1 in 3. Is it really naive to think now is better than then?

It's no wonder the masses don't see what you see, it takes a fantastic stretch of the imagination and a great leap out of the usual common sense box to come to your conclusions.

You may think that it's the same dross now as the 80's but is that not a subjective view that completely ignores really important facts and simple comparisons?

If we finish 4th or 5th three years in a row you WILL see a mass exodus from Ibrox and a hell of a lot of protesting. Fans today will display a minute amount of the apathy that they did in the 80's. That sort of form would be totally unacceptable now. I personally think you're being incredibly patronising to your fellow fans.

You will never convince anyone much by telling them finishing 5th is the same as being champions no matter how poor Celtic are at the time or how else you spin it.

This isn't defending WS or anyone, it's trying to point out a glaring bit of common sense that is continually being ignored on this forum.

You might see WS as the anti-Christ and hate the football we're playing with a vengance, but while we're competing domestically and winning trophies including the league, it's just plain and simple that you're not going to see a massive revolt by the fans.

This has been a painful post to write because to me it seems such a simple premise, but I've banging my head against the same brick wall for a while now... I really don't know how to put it any plainer.

You might see WS as the anti-Christ and hate the football we're playing with a vengance, but while we're competing domestically and winning trophies including the league, it's just plain and simple that you're not going to see a massive revolt by the fans.

This has been a painful post to write because to me it seems such a simple premise, but I've banging my head against the same brick wall for a while now... I really don't know how to put it any plainer.

I agree with what you are basically getting at calscot..... but .... average crowds are going down - you can see it with your own eyes, and the CL gates this year must have been a shock to the system for everyone at Ibrox. Yes, they got the prices wrong, but never the less if they have to lower prices (which is the LAST thing they need to hear) to below what they were even last season or the season before just to fill Ibrox for CL matches there is something in the wind. Surely?

If January is bad and June worse, crowds will slide dramatically IMHO. Which is why things really need to get moving.

I agree with what you are basically getting at calscot..... but .... average crowds are going down - you can see it with your own eyes, and the CL gates this year must have been a shock to the system for everyone at Ibrox. Yes, they got the prices wrong, but never the less if they have to lower prices (which is the LAST thing they need to hear) to below what they were even last season or the season before just to fill Ibrox for CL matches there is something in the wind. Surely?

If January is bad and June worse, crowds will slide dramatically IMHO. Which is why things really need to get moving.

World wide recession???? :confused:

Barcelona - Lyon - Stuttgart.

Sevilla - Stuttgart - Unirea. :confused:

World wide recession???? :confused:

Barcelona - Lyon - Stuttgart.

Sevilla - Stuttgart - Unirea. :confused:

Last 2 SPL homes games, Kilmarnock & St. Mirren.

Both down 5,000 on same match last season. Same opposition. :confused:

Performances have no effect on crowds? :confused:

Getting beat 2-10 on aggregate at home in the CL has no effect on crowds? :confused:

You mustn't have heard about all the people who are pissed-off enough with what they get at Ibrox that they've stopped going? :confused:

Last 2 SPL homes games, Kilmarnock & St. Mirren.

Both down 5,000 on same match last season. Same opposition. :confused:

Performances have no effect on crowds? :confused:

Getting beat 2-10 on aggregate at home in the CL has no effect on crowds? :confused:

You mustn't have heard about all the people who are pissed-off enough with what they get at Ibrox that they've stopped going? :confused:

If you're to believe everyone on here performances have been universally shit since Smith came back but attendances have only noticably (sp) decreased to coincide with the recession.

I'm not saying performances have no effect, but without the recession people will come and watch a winning team regardless of performance. I would suggest that the recession is having a greater effect as was the lack of a "big name" in our CL opponents.

Edited by Super_Ally
Being a fucktard

If you're to believe everyone on here performances have been universally shit since Smith came back but performances have only noticably (sp) decreased to coincide with the recession.

I'm not saying performances have no effect, but without the recession people will come and watch a winning team regardless of performance. I would suggest that the recession is having a greater effect as was the lack of a "big name" in our CL opponents.

Probably a bit of everything tbh and nobody can categorically say which affects crowds to what extent compared to the other.

There is no doubt performances have deteriorated this season though - we can see that in CL results particularly. This is directly down to lack of investment in the team, as this was the first summer we suffered that. I agree the recession doesn't help, but the overall money situation at the club is affecting everything including performances and crowds IMHO.

I agree with you. It's been a while coming but the slide is about to turn into a freefall. Attendances and ST sales are starting to break previous trends and much more of the same will see attendances fall dramatically. At least that's my view and recent numbers tend to show something new is happening among the support. Perhaps eyes that were closed have been opened, perhaps it's the realisation at last that SDM isn't really here for ever. I don't know but something has definitely changed, even if it's at a subliminal level.

I agree with you. It's been a while coming but the slide is about to turn into a freefall. Attendances and ST sales are starting to break previous trends and much more of the same will see attendances fall dramatically. At least that's my view and recent numbers tend to show something new is happening among the support. Perhaps eyes that were closed have been opened, perhaps it's the realisation at last that SDM isn't really here for ever. I don't know but something has definitely changed, even if it's at a subliminal level.

I also think it might be related to the overall sub-text that Scottish football is absolute shit. People are being told it's shit, and those that bother to go along invariably find out that it is, in fact, shit. No money, no EPL, no World Cup for us whilst the rest seem to be pulling away.

Also, when I was a kid - even a teenager and young adult, going to Ibrox was exciting not just to see the players, but for the experience. The crowd itself was part of the entertainment. The sanitised experience we enjoy/endure today must surely be having an effect in a lot of peoples' minds at the levels you suggest too? I know this isn't unique to this season but when you chuck it all together it seems to be having an effect in the sense that it's one less thing to keep people there when they might be considering otherwise.