Bougherra out of Old Firm clash

What man management skills, the ones that have had a myriad of Rangers players in the news for all the wrong reasons. I was lucky enough to see Souness showing some real man management skills outside of the old Chimmy Chungas on Great Western road one dark night, I think AMc. will attest to that stookie and all.

Aye Walter should be knocking 7 shades of shite out of players post pub in the West End. Consider any future posts made by yourself conciously ignored by yours truly. Away back to FF from whence I suspect you came.

Aye Walter should be knocking 7 shades of shite out of players post pub in the West End. Consider any future posts made by yourself conciously ignored by yours truly. Away back to FF from whence I suspect you came.

I would thank you not to distort my posts, I do not recall mentioning violence, but I see you have, such an imagination. It makes me happy all ends up that I shall not have you further abridging my posts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/13/rangers-walter-smith-scottish-premier-league

Edited by wabashcannonball

People, this pettyness is getting beyond yawn-ish. Can we get a grip and grow up (yes I know that coming from me is a little off kilter).

Boughy clearly wants more money, bigger league and wants to do a Cuellar. Fair enough.

WS has been under immense pressure as he doesn't know if he will have a job after Xmas, and the fact he has had to work with hands tied.

No one man is bigger than Rangers, and I am sure WS knows that. He also knows that he must deliver for the fans. This being made harder when players bugger off for the ACN and other tournaments.

I think Wilson can take the position and make it his after Xmas and I would be happy for him to do so. He is young and will gain immense experience from Wier, and he has bags of energy.

From Sky Sports website:

Rangers centre-back Madjid Bougherra has revealed he wants to leave Ibrox next summer - and has issued a 'come and get me' plea to the top clubs in England.

While the 27-year-old says he is happy with Walter Smith's side at present, he would like to move on in the summer.

And, having experienced a taste of the English top flight with Charlton in the 2006/07 campaign, he would like to return now he is in his prime.

The Algerian international told the Sunday Mirror: "I have plenty of options from among the English, Spanish and French leagues, but my wish is to return to England and play for a good Premier League club.

Dream

"I have already had a taste of the Premier League with Charlton and my dream is to make a return now I am at the top of my game.

"I am happy at Rangers and don't want to leave them during the January transfer window.

"Besides, it would be tricky to change clubs just while the African Nations Cup is under way.

"I have no doubt that the best time for me to leave will be next summer, just after the World Cup finals."

Agreed. I dont think he is near a world class manager but I dont think he is poor. Id say he has a typical Scottish style and opts for a 'safety first' or 'no lose' mentality first which can be quite depressing when RFC should be wiping the floor with at least 8 SPL teams. He can get it right in certain games then comes out with some baffling choices.

He passed step 1 back in 2007 by making the team hard to beat again and bringing back some steel and pride, that was job done. He then had to advance that to the next stage by making us challendge for the title and winning domestic trophies - job done albeit it in some bizarre fashion in odd games. Next was to advance that and make us the top side again and do something in Europe but this is where he has went backwards and we are a worse side this season than the last 2 years.

With hindsight maybe people think he should have left with his head held high last season with the title in the bag, but when you are in WS shoes and to think that his Rangers days would be over again - that would be tough to take for someone like him so I cant blame him to have desire to stay on, I just wish he would get a few more basics right.

I think this debate loses a lot by trying to argue whether Walter Smith is a good or bad manager. He's obviously neither and both, depending on what benchmark you use or what perspective you adopt. If you start with PLG then Smith is indeed a steadier of floating transport vehicles. If you start with Bill Struth or Scot Symon then he doesn't look so good. The bottom line is that how you view Walter Smith depends entirely on what you think is an acceptable standard for Rangers.

I've been around a while and my opinion is that standards and expectations have plummeted dramatically. We're defending players and managers, forgiving performances and conduct, that would have been unimaginable thirty years ago. I can't speak for others but it really pisses me off to hear that we're delighted Broadfoot is back to steady the defence - it's not a personal insult to the guy but if that's where we are, if that's what keeps us happy then either this club is dead altogether or we're going to have to re-invent it all over again.

It really doesn't matter if Walter Smith is good or bad, what's important here is that he's not good enough.

I can't speak for others but it really pisses me off to hear that we're delighted Broadfoot is back to steady the defence - it's not a personal insult to the guy but if that's where we are, if that's what keeps us happy then either this club is dead altogether or we're going to have to re-invent it all over again.

I'm sure very few people regard Broadfoot as a quality or classy player, but it's better to have him fit & available while he's on the wage bill, than have him injured. I'd rather we had a better class of player at Rangers, but the club's finances dictate that we need to depend on signing players for nothing or next to nothing who won't be on high wages. Broadfoot was a player brought in for nothing on the merits of being a key player & even captain in a successful St.Mirren team & despite the fact that he's got the potential to be an absolute bomb-scare at times, he's generally done well in a Rangers jersey even when played against far classier teams in Europe in the 07/08 season. As I said, it's better to have him fit to play than injured.

If you start with PLG then Smith is indeed a steadier of floating transport vehicles. If you start with Bill Struth or Scot Symon then he doesn't look so good. The bottom line is that how you view Walter Smith depends entirely on what you think is an acceptable standard for Rangers.

QUOTE]

I think we have to include his first tenure - he was the Man who brought home 9 in a row. He did it, yes, with financial backing. But does that make him a bad manager?

You also have to include the present climate in which he is Managing. He was brought in to steady the boat. He did and also won the league. He has also taken us very close to winning it (in his first full season).

Theer is no money, indeed every season he has had to get rid before even thinking about buying, and when buying he has had to buy bargain.

There has been very little backing from upstairs, and the press have had open time on the club and its fans. Indeed some fans have let the club down to the detriment off the Manager.

So before we all blame WS for the situ with Boug, I would point out he has clearly seen Rangers as a stepping stone to the EPL. Indeed I would say most expected it, but now find it incredible that it is allowed to happen. And he is a rare player these days, he wants to play for his country. So do the club stop that?

Wilson, Weir - sorted.

Sooner Bougherra clears off the better.

Unfortunately I worry that sans Bougherra Walter will be more inclined to go for Broadfoot/McCulloch and Weir as opposed to Wilson now that Edu and Thomson are likely to be the central midfield pairing going forward.