McGregor clearly thrives on confidence and I think the difference between him and Alexander is that ability to pull off those incredible, how-the-hell-did-he-get-to-that match-winning saves. But I think Alexander is a more solid, workmanlike and reliable keeper 9 times out of 10. When McGregor's confidence is low or his concentration is off, he does flap and has cost us a fair few goals over the last year or so. Thankfully he's back on a high again, although as a whole team we're playing better just now.

I'd be happy to have either one as our number one, but if I was Alexander I'd still feel more than a bit aggrieved at the way he has been treated here to be honest. Every time he's come in for McGregor he's played incredibly well and has never warranted being dropped. While on the other hand, McGregor has been kept in the team at times when he's been making a lot of individual errors. I guess Smith feels he's definitely the better keeper and recognises he needs to play through his low-times to regain his confidence.

Ultimately I think being the number two keeper at a big club like ours (playing in the SPL) is a position for someone coming to the end of their career who is "happy" to spend some time on the bench. In my memory we've had quite a few occasions where we've had a couple of excellent keepers on our books, but one has been forced to leave just because they can't get enough games.

Edited by ascender

A couple of posts on FF reckon that we've been scouting the Motherwell keeper for a while now and that we've even asked The Goalie to watch him and report back for us.

Not been overly impressed with Weaver tbh. Another one of those keepers who has been supposedly destined for great things but never realised his potential.

Strange to see us being linked with anyone at the moment, especially keepers. Would any of these guys give up their number 1 jersey to come and be number 2 at Ibrox?

I cant recall mcgregor ever costing us a game. made the odd mistake here and there but they are very few and far between.

Revisionism at its finest.

McGregor has made a shocking amount of errors and that is a fact. When he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's very bad...

Edited by Totti

McGregor clearly thrives on confidence and I think the difference between him and Alexander is that ability to pull off those incredible, how-the-hell-did-he-get-to-that match-winning saves. But I think Alexander is a more solid, workmanlike and reliable keeper 9 times out of 10. When McGregor's confidence is low or his concentration is off, he does flap and has cost us a fair few goals over the last year or so. Thankfully he's back on a high again, although as a whole team we're playing better just now.

I'd be happy to have either one as our number one, but if I was Alexander I'd still feel more than a bit aggrieved at the way he has been treated here to be honest. Every time he's come in for McGregor he's played incredibly well and has never warranted being dropped. While on the other hand, McGregor has been kept in the team at times when he's been making a lot of individual errors. I guess Smith feels he's definitely the better keeper and recognises he needs to play through his low-times to regain his confidence.

Ultimately I think being the number two keeper at a big club like ours (playing in the SPL) is a position for someone coming to the end of their career who is "happy" to spend some time on the bench. In my memory we've had quite a few occasions where we've had a couple of excellent keepers on our books, but one has been forced to leave just because they can't get enough games.

One of the most accurate posts I've ever read on here.

I'd probably have Alexander over McGregor and when you consider Alexander is a championship level keeper, what does that say for McGregor?

If McGregor goes to Spurs I can see him being the next disaster there. He'll have enormous pressure and lots to do in every game. number 1 at spurs isn't a nice job.

Edited by Totti

One of the most accurate posts I've ever read on here.

I'd probably have Alexander over McGregor and when you consider Alexander is a championship level keeper, what does that say for McGregor?

If McGregor goes to Spurs I can see him being the next disaster there. He'll have enormous pressure and lots to do in every game. number 1 at spurs isn't a nice job.

It is only accurate because you agree with it, but i am sure there are many posts just as accurate that you don't agree with.:)

Revisionism at its finest.

McGregor has made a shocking amount of errors and that is a fact. When he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's very bad...

When McGregor gets into his groove, as he is at the moment, he tends not to make mistakes. It takes him around 10 games or so to find his feet when he is returning from injury.

At the moment, he's a long way in front of Alexander.