Craig Brown believes there should be no way back for Kris Boyd

FORMER Scotland manager Craig Brown believes Kris Boyd should not be given the opportunity to resurrect his international career under Craig Levein.

Levein is set to take over as national team manager after agreeing a four-and-a-half year deal with the Scottish Football Association.

His appointment could pave the way for a return to the national fold for Rangers striker Boyd, who refused to

play under previous boss George Burley after complaining of a lack of opportunities under the manager. But Brown would not welcome the sight of Boyd in the dark blue jersey of Scotland again.

"You are either committed to Scotland or you are not. It shouldn't depend on who the manager is," said Brown.

However, he believes the potential return of Barry Ferguson is a completely different matter.

Ferguson and goalkeeper Allan McGregor were banished from the national team following the infamous Boozegate affair but could also find themselves back in the fold under the new regime.

Speaking of Ferguson, Brown added: "He was actually told, I understand, by the SFA that he was finished, as was Allan McGregor. That's a different issue. He did not say he didn't want to play. He was told he wasn't going to play.

"So they would have to rescind that if they decided to bring back Barry Ferguson."

Brown does not expect Levein's history of conflict with the SFA to cause problems between himself and chief executive Gordon Smith in his new role.

He said: "I don't think there should be too many concerns.

"Craig was brought before various committees for indiscretions or comments about referees.

"The figurehead of the establishment is the chief executive and he represents authority and Craig was not happy with some of the decisions against him. Quite clearly there was conflict there but I don't think it was a personal thing. I may be wrong but I don't think it was person to person."

He added: "You've got to be diplomatic but Craig is an intelligent guy and I think he is sensible enough not to put his foot in it.

"I'm sure he will be diplomatic. He will also be very authoritative and completely forthright and these are good qualities."

Meanwhile, First Minister Alex Salmond added his best wishes, saying: "I wish Craig Levein every success as Scotland manager. I know he will have the full support of the Tartan Army and everyone in Scotland. He has been a successful club manager, and will put his considerable skills and knowledge to good use for the national team.

"His focus on grassroots and youth development is particularly important and will be widely welcomed.

"We have narrowly missed out on qualifying for major championships in recent years, and I'm sure that Craig can lead Scotland to the European Championship in 2012.

"I realise that there will be considerable disappointment at Tannadice, as they are losing a great manager who put a very competitive side together, and I wish the club well in the future."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Craig-Brown-believes-there-should.5936820.jp

This is my 1,000th post coming up, so go easy on me.

Always respected Craig Brown, but here I totally disagree with him. I think the issue with Boyd was more to do with Burley rather than Scotland per se. Levein said recently he's met him and likes him. Try as I might I just cannot see a better partnership for Scotland than Boyd and Miller; I've written the latter off many times but his first goal v Motherwell was a peach.

All the more reason why I was pleased to hear Levein talking about picking the best team he can from all players available to him i.e. he'll decide who he wants to pick and wont pander to all the hack journos and pundits who are up in arms over Boyd, Ferguson or Mcgregors possible future inclusion. Hell, some of them would take Boyd but not McGregor or Ferguson, others the other way round. Bottom line here is you can't please everyone so Levein should do what he wants and he'll be judged on that basis alone.

I think most of the moronic TA would be happy if NO Rangers players were in the Scotland team.

Forgot to add, so would I be happy if in no Gers players played for Scotland after the fiasco that seen the Rangers players booed by the TA, and singled out by the SFA.

Edited by ian1964

I think most of the moronic TA would be happy if NO Rangers players were in the Scotland team.

Forgot to add, so would I be happy if in no Gers players played for Scotland after the fiasco that seen the Rangers players booed by the TA, and singled out by the SFA.

Disagree. It's the TA that need educating; they need Rangers contribution far more than that of any other club - half the Scotland players are in our squad, think about it. How many indispensables hail (sorry, no pun) from the East Side? The same club who pulled ALL their players from the Kirin Cup so they could play in a testi-effin'-monial?

John Greig: Rangers AND Scotland

Jim Baxter: Rangers AND Scotland

Davie Cooper: Rangers AND Scotland

Sorry, I don't want to see Scotland slide to the level of Luxembourg just because we want to preserve our club's integrity. We are the boys in (different) shades of blue.

Edited by alexscottislegend
omission

Disagree. It's the TA that need educating; they need Rangers contribution far more than that of any other club - half the Scotland players are in our squad, think about it. How many indispensables hail (sorry, no pun) from the East Side? The same club who pulled ALL their players from the Kirin Cup so they could play in a testi-effin'-monial?

John Greig: Rangers AND Scotland

Jim Baxter: Rangers AND Scotland

Davie Cooper: Rangers AND Scotland

Sorry, I don't want to see Scotland slide to the level of Luxembourg just because we want to preserve our club's integrity. We are the boys in (different) shades of blue.

My post is only my honest opinion on the Scotland/Rangers scenario and I'll stick by it

Anyone else sick of hearing from Craig Brown recently?

YES!!!

The guy's a pillock & he lingers about like a bad smell. WTF does he do exactly other than linger around in some kinda limbo between the SFA & the press? Does anyone actually give a flying fcuk what Craig Brown 'thinks'?

Fcuk me, I don't want to sound like a nasty scrooge or something, but if Craig Brown kicked the bucket, I reckon we'd have The Ghost Of Craig Brown coming back to speak a load of pish to the press about the National team.

Can somebody not just pay the guy to GTF?

"You are either committed to Scotland or you are not. It shouldn't depend on who the manager is," said Brown.

Would commitment to SCotland not mean picking the best players for the manager, and supporting the team that plays and the best available players being picked for the rest of us? :confused: (Poorly worded but you get the jist).