The Lafferty Question

It's allowed. It's just not very convincing when you have to go to an article that's over a year old by a journalist (that most on here have never heard of before) that isn't "local" to try and back up your view that Lafferty is a midfielder.

We've been there got the T shirt, there are more than enough links here placing him in left midfield.:)

Then there was his opening goal against Dundee Utd in the match which won us the league...

Big deal. He's still shite!

I can count on 1 finger how many decent performances he's played for us.

Get rid!

Big deal. He's still shite!

I can count on 1 finger how many decent performances he's played for us.

Get rid!

Have to agree not just because in our current financial state we cannot afford passengers , but because we can get a decent fee for him now , he is still quoted down in the championship , also we need rid of Rothen ASAP as well

You been in hibernation the last fortnight? Rothen re-joined PSG 2 weeks ago.

seriously I thought we had to keep him till the end of his loan , dont do this to me :whistle::whistle: you swine he,s still here

He had another disaster today. I want to see a good player in him but i am afraid...

Is he the latest scapegoat? This thread would suggest so. Yes, his tackle on Robson was out of order, and sure, he wasted a move forward later on, but he tracked back and defended as much as he could given we had ZERO impetus going forward. Did you all expect him to come in from the cold, forge an immediate partnership with Boyd and immediately play like the ghost of Van Basten?

It seems to me that now Rothen has been effectively given his marching orders, we need a new 'big reputation' character to assassinate, and Lafferty fits the bill.

Happy New Year everyone! :)

I think lafferty is being given a reasonable chance by most supporters at the matches. Considering how rarely he manages to shine I'd say he's had a fairly easy ride so far. I just put that down to most folk (including me) seeing some potential in him as a player - though he doesn't show nearly often enough.

His career record proves he's not a goalscorer of any note so he should be able to play wide left supporting the CF in my opinion. Or can he only play up front as a largely non-scoring second striker? Really?

He might get his chance up front with KB next week so I hope he takes it because time will start to run out eventually for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the point that he is not and performing currently and that we cant afford passengers. I also agree that its unfair to criticise too heavily given that he hasn't been given an extended run in his best position i.e. as striker. IIRC correctly, he had a spell as striker last season where he was keeping Boyd out the team and was playing pretty well, including vs Celtic. I think the guy has talent and will come good eventually. Although with Boyd's form, he might not get the chance at Ibrox.

On balance, if we got offered a fee that recouped a decent chunk of what we paid, I'd let him go. Get another striker that could play with Boyd and offer more striking options to suit who we are playing.

I think for me the answer is that if news came through that we'd sold Lafferty and used the money to give Boyd a 4 year contract, I'd not be disappointed.

However, I think the problem is out of Rangers hands. If Boyd was turning down terms from Birmingham last year then the fact is, we just can't afford him. He no longer fits in our wage structure and we are no longer in a position to stupidly break that structure.

I believe Boyd's loyalty is now to his bank balance and he'll go to the highest bidder (wage-wise) in the summer. It would be nothing but foolish of the Rangers board to try and compete. I don't really see how we can blame the board in this case.