Sporting Lisbon agree ââ??¬1.5m deal for Pedro Mendes

Re Mendes quote about a team challenging for honours, and just to put a slightly different slant on it.....

It could be that what he actually meant was that signing for a team in Portugal that is challenging for honours, rather than just generally a team challenging for honours ?

I am not explaining it too well but perhaps what he wanted to say was something along the lines of "If I was to move back to Portugal then it would be hard to turn down one of my homeland teams that would be challenging for Portuguese honours".

It is a subtle difference which could have been lost in translation.

Perhaps, but no other Portuguese teams have been linked?

Perhaps, but no other Portuguese teams have been linked?

In the context of Craig's point that is irrelevant.

What I believe he is trying to suggest is Pedro would move back to Portugal ony to a team who are challenging for trophies. So he would be interested in Sporting's approach but not for example Vitoria Setubal if they were to make an offer.

In the context of Craig's point that is irrelevant.

What I believe he is trying to suggest is Pedro would move back to Portugal ony to a team who are challenging for trophies. So he would be interested in Sporting's approach but not for example Vitoria Setubal if they were to make an offer.

Correctamondo :D

While I agree McCulloch has had a large period of good form at Rangers he came with a decent enough pedigree and while no world beater has by all accounts been a consistently decent and reliable player for us this season.

He also played well for the first half of the season he came to us. That suggests to me that he had a period of terrible form and subsequent loss of confidence which was well below his natural level of ability.

I think he is now showing his true ability which for the sake of repition is not world beating but fairly decent and certainly passable.

He may not have got into teams in more salubrious years but we've usually had a couple of decent, hard working jouneyman players who have been crucial to some of our success over the years. I don't think the likes of Graham Roberts or Terry Hurlock were better players than McCulloch is right now. Even in 9iaR we had the likes of Clelland and Bolan who were lesser players.

While I agree McCulloch has had a large period of good form at Rangers he came with a decent enough pedigree and while no world beater has by all accounts been a consistently decent and reliable player for us this season.

He also played well for the first half of the season he came to us. That suggests to me that he had a period of terrible form and subsequent loss of confidence which was well below his natural level of ability.

I think he is now showing his true ability which for the sake of repition is not world beating but fairly decent and certainly passable.

He may not have got into teams in more salubrious years but we've usually had a couple of decent, hard working jouneyman players who have been crucial to some of our success over the years. I don't think the likes of Graham Roberts or Terry Hurlock were better players than McCulloch is right now. Even in 9iaR we had the likes of Clelland and Bolan who were lesser players.

my take on that would be that Roberts and Hurlock were far more effective than McCulloch is. They would put in a tackle or interception and it would lift the crowd and the rest of the team. They were busy players who let the opposition know they were there and they helped their team mates in doing so.

McCulloch does neither. I have still to see this new Lee McCulloch who is supposed to be playing 'really well'. For me he is doing the minimum and just getting by. On many occassions he's been overrun in midfield. He NEVER gets a grip of the game and plays a very insiginificant part IMO.

Sorry, but I can't subscribe to this latest wave of optimism about him. Just doesn't do it for me at all. we've spent around �£5m on this guy and that's not been good value at all.