I note the journo of the piece is David McCarthy.

At the culmination of MON's first season, the legions of Yahooery were in a highly excited state. MON ticked all the boxes, most importantly he was about to deliver a treble. It was an interesting period watching a number of Yahoos breaking cover to associate themselves with new found success. David McCarthy teamed up with the then Chief Reporter of the Record, Anna Smith to pen a a biography of MON. It was the expected misty-eyed, over emphasised Irish nationalist tome. It was available for sale on the day of the last league game of the season. The Record complied and serialised the produced nonsense. Lot's of dosh made all around.

The only person not to comply with this exercise in Anna purchasing her white walled cottage on the Donegal coast, was MON himself. He refused to credit or acknowledge the book and it quickly sank into various discounted book bins. In my opinion, no Bear would trust Anna Smith. Similarly, David McCarthy should NEVER be trusted by any Rangers supporter.

MF:

We both know that owner is a gambler and is stubborn enough to dice with any proposed boycott (bluff or not).

Further, as Ascender has intimated, and is plainly clear through fan inaction during more recent poorer periods at the club, our absent owner retains large-scale support so any boycott is not going to happen. It is that simple.

You know, I've supported this club for nearly 50 years and I don't think I'd ever heard of "The Rangers Way" until about 5 years ago. Personally, I think this is an invention of convenience to suit certain agendas. I seem to remember standing in some very small crowds at Ibrox to evidence that Rangers fans have been very willing to vote with their feet in the past - maybe that was "the Rangers way" after all.
#

So you didn't boycott during that even worse period? :box:

I think we both know thousands didn't boycott Ibrox because of principles against the regime during the 80s. They just didn't go because they just didn't want to watch a crap team.

The same will happen if Rangers go through a similar spell of non-success and/or worse in the future. The vast majority of the non-hardcore would just expect another Souness (then Murray). We're seeing that right now.

Season ticket income is hugely important to the club so of course inferring tens of thousands of people won't renew could affect the decision-making from those who make them.

However it is also a very dangerous ploy which could makes things worse instead of better. Remove 20,000 x �£500 from our income then the savings have to come from elsewhere as SDM or Lloyds won't absorb the loss. Given we've still to see anyone step forward and say they will underwrite any debt we have in order to buy the club then that means we'd be in serious trouble.

That is probably why fans who are otherwise concerned and frustrated about certain issues wouldn't go as far as removing their financial commitment to the club.

Maybe I'm a glass-half-full guy Frankie, but I'd prefer to believe [and have done for several years now] that only half the season tickets being sold would force Murray to drop his asking price. The banks I'm certain, would take the same approach.

A half empty Ibrox with regular protests would, I'm positive, force a change in thinking from the bean-counters.

This is not to take away from the good domestic season we're having. The scenario of our best players being sold YET AGAIN is what's really worrying me..................because this time around, I fear we might not recover from it.

There's nothing to be gained by complicating a very simple situation.

To exert enough pressure to make a difference, a sufficiently large number of fans need to refuse to renew ST's. There will only be such pressure if it actually does hurt the club, surely that's a given. So you can choose - short term gain for long term pain - or the converse. Like I said before, everyone has to make that choice for themselves.

But the real deal is that, having made the point and demonstrated a willingness to apply that pressure rather than just talk about it, everyone can go along and buy that precious season ticket. Because it's not about buying or not buying a ST, nor is it about starving the club of funds, it's about convincing an arrogant owner that he needs to take the support seriously.

I agree with you but the non-renewal of ST's could just as easily be "short term pain, long term liquidated".

The financial landscape for Rangers is such that a mass non-renewal of ST's could very much result in the club being bankrupted - and with "no show in town" right now who would ride to the rescue ?

Maybe I'm a glass-half-full guy Frankie, but I'd prefer to believe [and have done for several years now] that only half the season tickets being sold would force Murray to drop his asking price. The banks I'm certain, would take the same approach.

A half empty Ibrox with regular protests would, I'm positive, force a change in thinking from the bean-counters.

This is not to take away from the good domestic season we're having. The scenario of our best players being sold YET AGAIN is what's really worrying me..................because this time around, I fear we might not recover from it.

I don't disagree mate.

However, without �£10-15million of cash flow and with no credible buyer on the horizon, the scenario of having to sell our best players would only become worse without season ticket money.

In principle I understand MF's position but I'm only saying it is a dangerous strategy far from guaranteeing change, never mind the future of the club per se. If it could be organised properly by someone then perhaps it could work but who would that person (or persons) be?

I think it's pretty clear somebody in the background is pulling the strings of Darrell King, the RST and Graham Duffy. Not to the extent of a boycott to lower the price but via other action - such as media coverage, ownership schemes and director challenges. That isn't working all that well so I'm not confident a boycott is the option yet.

And if I'm not - someone well aware of the problems our club faces - what would someone not interested in the political side be thinking.

MF:

We both know that owner is a gambler and is stubborn enough to dice with any proposed boycott (bluff or not).

Further, as Ascender has intimated, and is plainly clear through fan inaction during more recent poorer periods at the club, our absent owner retains large-scale support so any boycott is not going to happen. It is that simple.

I've no doubt at all that there will be no boycott. I've never suggested this was ever a realistic possibility. If it was then it would presumably have happened long ago. But that doesn't make the analysis of the underlying motivatons any less interesting.

#

So you didn't boycott during that even worse period? :box:

I think we both know thousands didn't boycott Ibrox because of principles against the regime during the 80s. They just didn't go because they just didn't want to watch a crap team.

The same will happen if Rangers go through a similar spell of non-success and/or worse in the future. The vast majority of the non-hardcore would just expect another Souness (then Murray). We're seeing that right now.

I don't know if it was an even worse time. I do know that there were relatively few season tickets around and that was probably the single biggest difference back then. The ST is the modern way of controlling the behaviour of the supporter.

I note the journo of the piece is David McCarthy.

At the culmination of MON's first season, the legions of Yahooery were in a highly excited state. MON ticked all the boxes, most importantly he was about to deliver a treble. It was an interesting period watching a number of Yahoos breaking cover to associate themselves with new found success. David McCarthy teamed up with the then Chief Reporter of the Record, Anna Smith to pen a a biography of MON. It was the expected misty-eyed, over emphasised Irish nationalist tome. It was available for sale on the day of the last league game of the season. The Record complied and serialised the produced nonsense. Lot's of dosh made all around.

The only person not to comply with this exercise in Anna purchasing her white walled cottage on the Donegal coast, was MON himself. He refused to credit or acknowledge the book and it quickly sank into various discounted book bins. In my opinion, no Bear would trust Anna Smith. Similarly, David McCarthy should NEVER be trusted by any Rangers supporter.

Didn't the said Ugly Anna recently take up a new position, which has slipped my memory - do you know where it was. Or am I imagining it?