Kyle Lafferty opens his heart on debt claims - and Old Firm horror tackle

I'm going to stick my neck out here,TIN HAT AT THE READY!!.

I think Lafferty will come good. I also think he is struggling big time in the OF fish bowl and playing for such a big club as Rangers, but if there is a manager that can sort out a players head I think WS is the man to do it. I'm not excusing is performances or his behaviour but when you see how well he can perform for his national team it's clear he has ability,and indeed showed some of that ability towards the end of last season. He is a young guy and can still learn & improve, Boyd did, and just think it is too early to write a player of his age off IMO. He does however need to buckle down,listen to the people around him and start working hard at the basics. Here's hoping anyway.

Said at the time that we were paying an extortionate fee for a championship 'striker' with a terrible goal record who played more often than not out on the left. For us to spend that amount of money on a striker, they should have had a far greater pedigree. He's not even a quarter of the player Cousin was.

Rangers spending near �£4m on a player is like Man Utd, Chelsea etc spending �£40m! It's pretty much the max we're going to spend for a while.

Of course, as is the with many players who have failed under Smith, a run of games in his PROPER position would be nice. He's absolutely rotten wide on the left. Playing strikers out wide in a 4 man midfield is ridiculous. Eck did it all the time and so does Walter, invariably to little positive effect. Then Walter's solution was to switch Lafferty to the right. What little talent the young guy has will probably never come to fruition now. Just hope the same doesn't happen to Fleck. I think Walter often picks the left midfield position for reasons other than what they should be. EG a random big guy (Lafferty, McCulloch etc) to help with headers or someone like Stevie Smith (possibly even worse than Lafferty in midfield) to have an extra defender on the park.

The 00's have been a pretty dark time for our club to say the least but I wonder how much money and points could have been saved had players just simply been played in their correct positions.

I mean we even had Shota Arveladze, one of the most prolific strikers in European football in recent years, play more often than not in midfield. The season after he left us he banged in almost 40 goals for AZ.

Edited by Totti

I'm going to stick my neck out here,TIN HAT AT THE READY!!.

I think Lafferty will come good. I also think he is struggling big time in the OF fish bowl and playing for such a big club as Rangers, but if there is a manager that can sort out a players head I think WS is the man to do it. I'm not excusing is performances or his behaviour but when you see how well he can perform for his national team it's clear he has ability,and indeed showed some of that ability towards the end of last season. He is a young guy and can still learn & improve, Boyd did, and just think it is too early to write a player of his age off IMO. He does however need to buckle down,listen to the people around him and start working hard at the basics. Here's hoping anyway.

When will he come good? He's 23 this year and playing in a league where the level of opponent is dreadful. While him being played out of position doesn't help, he doesn't even look like a footballer, like many of our squad. He can't get the basics right. Owen Coyle is clearly a very talented manager because he got rid of a mediocre player for a huge price tag.

Another thing worth considering is that any half decent young British player in the championship immediately gets interest from all the premiership clubs like Spurs, Villa etc. How much interest did Lafferty have?

Agree with some of what Ian said & some of what Totti said. Lafferty can still come good as Ian suggests, but personally I've always thought we paid way too much for him. I said we paid too much for Miller & McCulloch when we signed them as well & out of the 3 of them, Kenny Miller is the only one that's completely changed my mind. He still has some terrible moments & even terrible games, but Miller has turned out to be well worth his fee IMO. McCulloch is getting there, but Lafferty hasn't proven yet that he was worth almost �£4m or that he's worth his high wages. You have to wonder what some of the young guys in our squad really think about Lafferty being paid 10, 15 or in some cases +20 times what they are being paid as well as keeping them from getting a good crack at the whip.

As I've said before, if we could get back even a good chunk of what we paid for Lafferty, I think he should be sold on. With the club's finances as they are, we really don't need a Lafferty. The club would be better off with �£2.5m or �£3m if we could sell him for that & his wages could go to sorting out contracts for other players & reducing the wage bill. Can't see him being sold in this window though. It would take a very attractive offer & that's something that we're not likely to receive for Lafferty.

If you take all the money Smith has spent, a more talented manager could have assembled a quality side.

Add up whats been spent on Mendes, Davis, Edu, Lafferty, Miller etc and it's serious cash and no wonder we're in this financial situation once again.

If you take all the money Smith has spent, a more talented manager could have assembled a quality side.

Add up whats been spent on Mendes, Davis, Edu, Lafferty, Miller etc and it's serious cash and no wonder we're in this financial situation once again.

absolutely spot on. even if we did have money right now, the last man I'd want to be spending it would be Smith. He's had a hell of alot of money given to him to spend, but wasted a hell of alot of it !

IMO Lafferty will never come good for us - he's just not very good, simple as that.

People go on about him being young., That's nonsense. Take James Milner as an example - same age, running rings round many sides in EPL, trains hard and is well respected by his fellow pros. Lafferty is the opposite of all that.