WALTER adamant his own future has nothing to do with contract saga

More...

WALTER SMITH is adamant uncertainty about his own future as Rangers manager should have no bearing on whether Danny Wilson and John Fleck stay at the club.

The teenage pair turned down new contract offers last week and the Ibrox boss believes they will now pursue moves to English football.

But Gers hope the situation can be resolved and that terms can be agreed with the two prospects to keep them in Glasgow instead.

Smith himself is working without a contract at present as he and his coaching staff wait for a new owner to come into the club.

But while that might affect the decisions some older players make with regards to whether they stay on, he doesn't feel that applies to Wilson and Fleck.

Smith said: "I can probably understand where they are coming from but when you're starting out in football, the only thing you should be concentrating on is playing.

"I don't think whoever the manager is matters that much when you are 17 or 18. What matters is that you're applying yourself to what you want to do.

"While a more experienced player might consider the manager's situation, I don't think that matters much to youngsters.

"Instead their focus should be on making a good start to their careers and laying the foundations for the future."

Just had a look at The Stellar Group.

A big multinational conglomorate of agents transcending several sports.

"Stellar Scotland is run by former Livingston manager Allan Preston"

http://www.stellargroup.co.uk/stellar-group-ltd.html

And from Wikipedia.....

"After spending eight years at Tannadice, he (Allan Preston) signed for Hearts, the team he supported as a boy"

Guest Bonkle Bear
Listen guys I honestly dont have any concrete info , but what I have been told is that there will be a lot , an awful lot , of negative stories coming out and that I should ignore it . Boyd has told Smith he wants to stay , in fact all the players know what is happening and that's one reason not one player has been in the papers crying about new deals , in fact there has been no talk bar winning games .

Whoever is behind this consortium and yes I 100% believe that it will happen , is playing it very well and our present management team seem to be totally intune , Muir keeps getting mentioned in nothing but negatives and I have been told that the pressure seems to be getting results .

I know only this honestly , but the guy who is one of my best friends of over 26 years doesn't bullshit , and is in a position where he is very rarely wrong , dont get me wrong he doesn't know signing targets or on speed dial to players but is in a position that he has to know certain info before it can be released , hopefully I will know more next week .

I should also point out he told me weeks before it got out about Scot Brown having met and agreed a deal with us , only for that deal to go pear shape , oh how I really enjoyed being slaughtered for that wee exclusive

Traynor's article today also suggests that the people behind the scare mongering are calling in their friends in the media as well. I expect this will either be to as a way of increasing the pressure on Lloyds to lower the price for a consortium or, if no consortium has come forward, a way of attracting bidders to 'save us' from what is happening. I tend to believe it is the former rather than the latter at this stage.

If it does work it will have been expertly played but I'm not convinced Lloyd's asking price will be swayed by a few negative stories in the media. The fans would have to play more of a part in order to put them under any 'real' pressure. Organising our fans to take part in such a campaign seems like a very difficult task in the current climate.

Why potential? Thomson's been here for 3 years! If you haven't made up your mind which one's better of the two of them by now, then you might as well give up.

Come on! Injury has taken a lot of time away from Thomson. He threatens to suffer the same fate as Stevie Smith, and going back further, Alan McLaren.

Come on! Injury has taken a lot of time away from Thomson. He threatens to suffer the same fate as Stevie Smith, and going back further, Alan McLaren.

To counter this, what about Naismith and Broadfoot. Both have come back from long term injuries and looked decent. Thomson just looks a shadow of his former rather average self.

Very generous to say Naismith looks decent imo. He is such a frustrating player and a very bland one at that. No pace, very little end product, and falls on his arse 5 or 6 times per game. I don't think it was total coincidence that our best football of the season came when he was injured and we started playing Beasley, Novo, or both.

Naismith is another player who has suffered from being moved around.

When struggling financially it isn't a surprise that we sign players then tend to make square pegs fit into round holes. Naismith is, like Fleck, a good forward player adept at exploiting space and can score plenty of goals. However, I could probably count on one hand the amount of times he's played in such a role at Rangers.

Add in his fitness problems then we have another �£2million that arguably hasn't been invested properly.