In the final 2 months of last season Whittaker looked like he had the potential to be the next Hutton. Who remembers him running the entire length of the field, from one side of the pitch to the other, in the 1-1 draw at Hibs? But this season his defensive inability has been found out and he wasn't getting forward as much either

Agree with the good doctor again...

At �£2million Whittaker was far too expensive but he's another useful utility player as he can change the way the team plays in an interesting fashion:

1. Play him in midfield and we should be more solid defensively while retaining his goal threat.

2. Play him in defence and we should be more attacking.

I would still play him in defence.

If Whittaker had played in December in the games Beasley & Novo did, then we would have seen the best of him.

If we play that high pressing game then he doesn't have to defend as much and his frailties aren't exposed as frequently

Possibly but I'd contend playing Broadfoot allowed the right-sided midfielder to be more attacking than they would be if they had to worry about covering for Whittaker.

Agree with the good doctor again...

At �£2million Whittaker was far too expensive but he's another useful utility player as he can change the way the team plays in an interesting fashion:

1. Play him in midfield and we should be more solid defensively while retaining his goal threat.

2. Play him in defence and we should be more attacking.

Personally i do like to see us play with Whittaker on the right wing and Broadfoot behind him. I much prefer Whittaker wide right than i do Davis, for example. My first choice midfield right now would be: Whittaker Davis McCulloch Novo

Doctor, I presume you aren't including injured players?

My preferred midfield when everyone is fit would be Beasley Davis Mendes Novo. Right now, I'd be happy McCulloch replacing Mendes and Whittaker/Fleck replacing Beasley (obviously Fleck would go left and Novo would go right in this scenario)

Fleck is no more than average in a wider position for me. Happy enough with Whittaker for some games but would prefer a more attacking option if available. I don't think anyone can argue with the Beasley/Novo combination of December... ;)

Central midfield is much more difficult to decide upon.. Davis is a given (even if he's inconsistent) but I struggle to name his partner with any confidence. McCulloch, Edu and Thomson have all done well in the past but the former is the best bet for the moment though I hope the latter two can show their worth over coming weeks!

Doctor, I presume you aren't including injured players?

My preferred midfield when everyone is fit would be Beasley Davis Mendes Novo. Right now, I'd be happy McCulloch replacing Mendes and Whittaker/Fleck replacing Beasley (obviously Fleck would go left and Novo would go right in this scenario)

Think we'd need to have McCulloch, Edu, and Thomson all injured before Walter would consider partnering Davis and Mendes in the centre of midfield. Personally, and i know it may not be a popular opinion, i'd be happy to let Mendes go. Davis is younger and more consistent, not to mention totally wasted wide right

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

Yeah, we had the Mendes debate last week I think and most people (IIRC) felt we could possibly allow Mendes to go. However, Davis' slight injury at Accies ten days back and the poor form/injury proneness of Thomson and Edu means it's not as simple as we'd like unfortunately...