I had a lot of arguments with some of my mates last season over Mendes. They were lapping up the 'Personal Jesus' stuff and proclaiming him our best player since Ronald de Boer but i just wasn't convinced. His away form especially was pretty disappointing, and his partnership with Barry was one of the biggest letdowns in our recent history.

I think Mendes was too similar to Ferguson in terms of style...

Like Davis has benefitted recently with the good form of the strikers and the wing men, I'd imagine Mendes would have also improved but because of his injury he's fell out of the picture and is now one asset we can afford to lose.

As an aside, reports from France via L�Equipe suggest that Greek side Kavala are looking to make an offer for Jerome Rothen. :thup:

Yes i did feel Mendes would've contributed a lot more if he'd had better players around him. We were playing with no wingers and Boyd's all round game was pretty shambolic last season (the improvement in that has been one of the biggest highlights this season for me) I don't think he had many players around him who he felt were on his wavelength.

I had a lot of arguments with some of my mates last season over Mendes. They were lapping up the 'Personal Jesus' stuff and proclaiming him our best player since Ronald de Boer but i just wasn't convinced. His away form especially was pretty disappointing, and his partnership with Barry was one of the biggest letdowns in our recent history.

Mendes was the most overated player in our recent history. He's had a surprisingly average career when you look at his background, and was, as you say, lapped up by many as something he clearly wasn't.

I think it was easy for the lazy to hype him up because:

He is Portuguese.

He's called Pedro Mendes

He's played for Porto

He's played for Spurs

1: He has so few caps for his country his nationality is almost irrelevant.

2: He played a fair few domestic games for Porto, which was probably his best season - but was not used in the CL much until the final, where they needed a DM to snuff out Monaco's creativity - and that's another thing, he was never a creative midfielder...

3: The Spurs situation was that he played a reasonable helping of games there in his first season, and almost none in the second. He's mostly remembered for the goal that wasn't V Roy Carroll.

It irritated me so much last season to see him warmly praised all the time, when clearly, in my eyes, he was doing so little to deserve such praise.

He can leave with my thorough blessing.

I think Mendes was too similar to Ferguson in terms of style...

This is the false reputation Mendes has, as a sitting creative midfielder like Ferguson who can burst forward and pick out passes. I don't know where he got this from, even I was guilty of attributing it to him. He's nothing like Ferguson - and when he tries to be he invariably gets yet another Hollywood pass dreadfully wrong.

As an aside, reports from France via L’Equipe suggest that Greek side Kavala are looking to make an offer for Jerome Rothen. :thup:

L'Equipe also told us Bordeaux had signed Bougherra. I'll take them with a pinch of salt for now :)

The only good thing about Mendes is how little we've missed his midfield disappearing act. I'll be really disappointed if he's still a Rangers player come February.

Even today I still look at posts like this which see him for what he really is and think back to how highly he was praised last season and it amazes me the difference.

Even today I still look at posts like this which see him for what he really is and think back to how highly he was praised last season and it amazes me the difference.

On Gersnet I dont think he was ever lauded Danny. Sure he had THAT goal against Celtic but I always feel that Gersnetters look to not just one game or one moment but rather to what is contributed over the piece.

A number of us on here have suggested for a long time that Mendes flatters to deceive.

Just noticed the tangent this thread has went on.

I rate Pedro Mendes very highly. Very highly.

He is a totally different player from Ferguson, Danny is right about that. Mendes is a deep lying defensive midfielder, a role he played almost to perfection in the first derby of this season.

The most common criticism of him is that he flatters to deceive. A criticism that I've never ever heard of a defensive midfielder. How can you flatter to deceive in such a position? I believe people who think this way expect Mendes to transform into Gazza and waltz past 5 defenders before slotting one in from 20 yards. Never been his style and it never will be.

I don't believe we've ever had a player such as Mendes at Ibrox and I think some fans are guilty of pigeon holing midfielders into 3 different types. Gattuso, Gazza and Laudrup. If anything different comes along then there is no comparison and unless they are setting the world alight then they flatter to deceive.

Watch that first Old Firm game again and tell me Pedro Mendes did not play a brilliant game. Recycled possession at every turn and cut out countless balls aimed for the Celtc strikers.

Just noticed the tangent this thread has went on.

I rate Pedro Mendes very highly. Very highly.

He is a totally different player from Ferguson, Danny is right about that. Mendes is a deep lying defensive midfielder, a role he played almost to perfection in the first derby of this season.

The most common criticism of him is that he flatters to deceive. A criticism that I've never ever heard of a defensive midfielder. How can you flatter to deceive in such a position? I believe people who think this way expect Mendes to transform into Gazza and waltz past 5 defenders before slotting one in from 20 yards. Never been his style and it never will be.

I don't believe we've ever had a player such as Mendes at Ibrox and I think some fans are guilty of pigeon holing midfielders into 3 different types. Gattuso, Gazza and Laudrup. If anything different comes along then there is no comparison and unless they are setting the world alight then they flatter to deceive.

Watch that first Old Firm game again and tell me Pedro Mendes did not play a brilliant game. Recycled possession at every turn and cut out countless balls aimed for the Celtc strikers.

Sure, but how many more of those type of performances has he put in for Rangers ? I could pretty much count them on a 3 fingered hand.