I hear our wee RE teaching cross wearing ref is getting the News of the Screws treatment tomorrow about his wee pal that he keeps on his whistle , shame , pity it wasn't about him being a crap ref

I hear our wee RE teaching cross wearing ref is getting the News of the Screws treatment tomorrow about his wee pal that he keeps on his whistle , shame , pity it wasn't about him being a crap ref

More like us getting the treatment from that toilet paper of a rag. The article was pro Collum, pro catholic & anti Rangers.....

Here it is -

Gers fans angry over ref's cross

CONSPIRACY-CRAZY SUPPORTERS CLAIM WHISTLER IS BIASED TOWARDS CELTIC

By James Mulholland, 31/01/2010

CONSPIRACY-crazy Rangers fans have blasted a referee for attaching a CROSS to his whistle.

And they have flooded internet forums with bonkers claims that the gesture shows Willie Collum is BIASED towards Celtic.

The ref showed the Christian symbol during last weekend's Hoops' match at St Johnstone.

The Bhoys were losing 1-0 in the SPL clash when Collum sent off a Saints player. They went on to win 4-1. TV pundits said the official's decision was CORRECT.

But afterwards, livid Gers fans still went online to slam the ref over his religious display.

On one website, a sick poster fumed: "Job done Father Collum. You must be so proud."

The referee, 31, had previously worn a St Christopher medal on his whistle during matches.

Collum teaches religious education at Cardinal Newman High School in Bellshill, Lanarkshire.

Last night he confirmed he'd attached a cross to his whistle.

Collum said: "It's because I'm a Christian person. I don't believe anybody could question my honesty. I'm stunned."

An SFA spokesman said: "We don't want to comment."

>>>No link to the NOTW<<<

Even by the standards we have come to expect from our papers, that's stunningly bad.

However, it's as much a by-product of the childish obsession some of us bears have with catholicism as it is of a dismally poor media. Get over it, stop giving these leeches and parasites an open goal. Disagree with Rome? Fine, take a course in theology and preach the reformed gospel.

Even by the standards we have come to expect from our papers, that's stunningly bad.

However, it's as much a by-product of the childish obsession some of us bears have with catholicism as it is of a dismally poor media. Get over it, stop giving these leeches and parasites an open goal. Disagree with Rome? Fine, take a course in theology and preach the reformed gospel.

I agree tbh Andy. My main gripe with the article is that it's twisted and biased reporting... Making out that Rangers fans commenting on Collum's very obvious allegiances are 'crazy' & 'sick', whilst trying to downplay the picture/perception of the ref'.

An unbiased article on someone like Collum might have touched on the question of whether it's actually appropriate for a RC RE teacher to be refereeing at a Celtic game at all in the SPL given that there's a 99.9% chance that he'll be wanting Celtic to win....