Transfer Deadline Day

Had the Rothen & Mendes transfers been sorted sooner, then we might have had a shout at a signing or two, but they weren't & that's that. We've still got a strong enough squad to win this title.

They were done in plenty of time to bring in other players.

The bottom line is that our squad is weaker than it was when we went into the transfer window, and that's not a good thing. We have no cover for Davis.

The club will know the fans aren't happy about this so i expect new deals for Broadfoot and Novo to be announced in the next week in a bid to try and soften the blow

I'd rather hear Boyd signs new contract :)

This January Celtic have let go; Caldwell, Killen, Flood, Robson, McManus, McDonald and Fox. That's 7 of their first team squad plus probably a few youths/reserves i've missed. They had to buy to replace that which they had lost. It's not like they've retained a strong squad and then added to it with a couple of multi million pound signings. Flogging all their players with SPL experience and experience of winning trophies has allowed them to bring in a few loans.

We lost Mendes and Rothen (the latter no loss). But this has unfortunately not allowed us to bring anyone in. However the situations at the clubs are not wildly different. Had we flogged all our biggest and most experienced players we could and would have replaced them. With what. Who knows. But Keane aside it's doubtful whether Celtic have improved on what they sold and even then Keane is a loan.

Sure the sheer amount of names coming in there might frustrate some of you, but you're not looking at how they financed this "spending spree" and the potential consequences of that.

The club will know the fans aren't happy about this so i expect new deals for Broadfoot and Novo to be announced in the next week in a bid to try and soften the blow

Like fuckin hell! fans will still be up in arms? we lose 2 or 3 players to injury/ suspension or illness and we are down to the bare bones.

Lets just hope we can cope with what we have right now! if smith feels comfortable with what we have and that we can deal with what comes along then great i,ll go with that?, but should we start to stumble then i hope he has a strong head to deal with the consequences should rangers fail to win 2 in a row...

WS shouldnt be the one to have a strong head if his squad doesnt come through unscathed due to injury and suspension.

I am sure he was looking to get other players in but the financial "wizards" overseeing the economics at Rangers may be the ones who need to scrutinise themselves more than WS.

They were done in plenty of time to bring in other players.

When exactly did Mendes & Rothen complete their moves then BD? IIRC, the Mendes deal still wasn't completed on Saturday afternoon. It was still to be signed & sealed. Not entirely sure when the Rothen one was completed either.

The bottom line is that our squad is weaker than it was when we went into the transfer window, and that's not a good thing. We have no cover for Davis.

The squad is a bit weaker, but who from the players we've let go would have been cover for Davis?

When exactly did Mendes & Rothen complete their moves then BD? IIRC, the Mendes deal still wasn't completed on Saturday afternoon. It was still to be signed & sealed. Not entirely sure when the Rothen one was completed either.

The squad is a bit weaker, but who from the players we've let go would have been cover for Davis?

Their transfers were known for some time. The club don't have to wait before starting to look at players. They can have players lined up ready to sign, subject to Mendes and Rothen going, but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

Time can't be used as an excuse. Celtic only sold McDonald today and were able to get a replacement in.

Mendes is the only creativity that we had apart from Davis.

Like fuckin hell! fans will still be up in arms? we lose 2 or 3 players to injury/ suspension or illness and we are down to the bare bones.

Maybe it is just me, but this is the financial reality of our situation.... and has been for a LONG time now. We havent signed a permanent transfer for FOUR transfer windows IIRC. So just why is it we are expecting this window to be any different ?

I suspect that had Celtic not signed Keane we would not be complaining nearly as vociferously as we are.

I, for one, rather we do operate within our means and if we reduce wages and get a transfer fee in to allow us to pay down some of the debt then I am happy enough with that.

When you look at who we lost we did decent enough business. Rothen was as far away from the 1st team as he could have been - Fuck, most of us would even prefer Lafferty at LM than Rothen. Mendes hasn't played for 3 months and our form, or more specifically our results, doesn't seem to have suffered as a result of his absence.

Yes I am disappointed we didnt add faces to the squad but we still have enough quality to win the league with those remaining. Sure we could suffer injuries and suspensions and that will make it tough - but we are in a terrible financial predicament right now so it is what it is.

We must not forget that we are still top of the table by a reasonable margin. We are in the driving seat in the league and we have to keep on keeping on.

Maybe it is just me, but this is the financial reality of our situation.... and has been for a LONG time now. We havent signed a permanent transfer for FOUR transfer windows IIRC. So just why is it we are expecting this window to be any different ?

I suspect that had Celtic not signed Keane we would not be complaining nearly as vociferously as we are.

I, for one, rather we do operate within our means and if we reduce wages and get a transfer fee in to allow us to pay down some of the debt then I am happy enough with that.

When you look at who we lost we did decent enough business. Rothen was as far away from the 1st team as he could have been - Fuck, most of us would even prefer Lafferty at LM than Rothen. Mendes hasn't played for 3 months and our form, or more specifically our results, doesn't seem to have suffered as a result of his absence.

Yes I am disappointed we didnt add faces to the squad but we still have enough quality to win the league with those remaining. Sure we could suffer injuries and suspensions and that will make it tough - but we are in a terrible financial predicament right now so it is what it is.

We must not forget that we are still top of the table by a reasonable margin. We are in the driving seat in the league and we have to keep on keeping on.

Nailed it craig, yes we wanted player(s) to come in aswell.