Transfer Deadline Day

There was a Celtic fan outside Porkheed last night and SSN managed to get an interview with him. The clip they showed was

"That signing has just won us the league!".

Didn't they think the same with Bellend?

It's not irrelevant if we win the title because they'll have sold their best goal scorer and brought in a player they can't afford to keep never mind actually buy!

If they win the title they'll have the cash to bring in another striker. However, next season will take care of itself. This season is far more important at this stage.

I doubt that they needed much cash for the deal today, but I'm still sure I could hear collection tins rattling out in the street.

The McDonald deal financed the Keane deal.

Mendes has been out since we started playing better. When he was in the team at the beginning of the season we were absolute mince...

The point is that we have no creative back-up for Davis. If Davis gets injured, would we play better with or without Mendes?

Keane is a great signing for them, a no-lose situation. He'll sell tickets and shirts for them straight away.

They'll have to sell some amount of shirts to pay his wage this month which if the �£65k p/w reports are correct will be costing Celtic about �£260,000. They'll certainly fill some more seats due to signing Keane, but they'd have filled xtra seats with people going to see their other new signings in action as well, so increases in their reported numbers through the turnstiles won't solely be because of Keane.

Gers boss Smith also knocked back an approach from Birmingham for top scorer Kris Boyd, who will remain at Ibrox until at least the end of the season.

Didn't couple of posters keep going on about Rangers "would be easy to deal with" regarding Boyd...?

I'm happy enough that we didn't lose any of our key players and can understand why we didn't bring anyone in. However, our squad size is marginal at best. There will probably be a far greater reliance on kids for the run in and while that should make some people ecstatic, I'd rather have a few more experienced players.

I keep counting that it's three transfer windows without buying a player... There's this one, the summer where only Rothen came in, the January one last year but then I thought the summer before that was when we brought in a bunch of players after the Kaunas exit - Davis, Miller, Lafferty, Mendes, Edu, Bougherra etc.

Zappa - papers seem to be saying that Desmond is funding the Keane transfer himself. Not sure if that makes a difference to how it will be shown on their accounts.

It's a wonder that that type of thing is permitted in football. I guess Desmond could simply donate the money to the club, but then it would need to go through their accounts. Certainly, if Desmond is paying the player independently of the club, then you'd think the player would legally not work for Celtic FC which would breach SPL regulations. I'm sure they've got it stitched up somehow anyway. :whistle:

Is Redknapp trying to taking the piss btw? Trying to loan one of our key players. Good one.

Seems to be a tactic of the English clubs coming upto Scotland atm.

Loaning players is usually reserved for players out of the picture at their parent club, guys needing match time who aren't getting it or for getting youths experience. You are not going to poach a key player on loan. Muppet.