The Rangers Manager - Post Takeover (Hypothetical)

I don't agree that just because the Premiership isn't doing it doesn't mean we can't. Look to clubs on the continent such as PSV, Porto, Ajax amongst others who are doing it and being successful. Hell, the best club on the planet do it better than anyone.

As I said in a reply above it would be a gradual first team alteration. I also want this team to play together for many years, the core of the team is young enough to. It's about making plans to supplement and (years down the line) replacing them with minimum disruption and maximum gain.

Ron Jans has kept Groningen on a low budget fighting in the sub-top almost every year since he arrived. Verbeek was a fantastic manager with Herenveen leading them into Europe almost every season. He took over at Feynoord last season and tried to change the whole culture of the club as PLG did at Ibrox.(He was hand picked to do that by the FD board who wanted change) While the fans loved what he was trying to do all the old warhorses as Makay van Bronkhorst, Landzaat and others formed a dressing room revolt and virtually stopped performing. As Feynoord have no money to bring in new players the board backed the players and Verbeek resigned. Mario Been has come in this season and the first thing he did was drop all the old warhorses except Gio.

Been has the advantage that he is a Feynoord man and loved by all at Feynoord.

Verbeek has taken the club with the lowest budgets Heracles to 5 place this year their highest ranking ever.

I am fed up with this myth that Ajax are the great leaders in Scouting. Ajax are the biggest example of mismanagement probably anywhere outwith the EPL. With all their manager changes of the last few years Ajax have every week 72 top paid players either in the pool or sitting in the stand. And yes i mean 72 TOP PAID players. I think if you look at the Ajax top team over the last few years, Rangers far outshine Ajax in Youth coming through the ranks. Ajax youth system is a Myth, a thing lost in the seventies or eighties.

The question is will WS walk in the summer, will he wait till there are new owners[?], or will he leave no matter who's in charge.

If there's no new owner in the summer and Walter does indeed walk, i'd firmly expect Jimmy Calderwood to take over *cries* There's no way our present board would aim higher than that

I think he'll still be here regardless though

Well if rumours are to believe Smith was to be 'replaced' my Craig Levein a few months back.

He's arguably of a higher standard than Jimmy :D

Levein's out of the picture now and Calderwood is arguably the best manager in the SPL who hasn't played for Celtic (which i presume would be enough to rule out John Hughes, though you never know)

With the current mess, we'd almost certainly just want another Walter type figure, a Scotsman who would provide stability and accept no transfer budget. Craig Brown wouldn't surprise me either

A few months ago i was certain we'd have new owners by the end of the season, now i'm pretty certain we won't :(

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

As one of Walter Smith's biggest critics i am going to shock everyone and say i don't think it would be good to have a massive shake up unless the new owner has millions to spend. Walter has actually pleasantly surprised me with the shape of the team since December.

If we are going to go for a new manager which i think we will as Walter will chuck it whatever happens imo, I would not surprisingly go Dutch. Fred Rutten(PSV) Gertjan Verbeek(Heracles) Ron Jans(Groningen) would be my best picks.

Steve Mclaren would have been also a favourite but i am getting a bit pissed off with his touchline antics.

Jimmy Calderwood would be my Scottish choice as i feel he did a good job in Holland and at Aberdeen and seems to have revamped Killie.

Calderwood :???: a Rangers man yes right for the job, I'm not so sure.

As the OP says I would like to see better scouting networks around the world but not spend vast amounts of money on the youngsters.

I don't agree that just because the Premiership isn't doing it doesn't mean we can't. Look to clubs on the continent such as PSV, Porto, Ajax amongst others who are doing it and being successful. Hell, the best club on the planet do it better than anyone.

As I said in a reply above it would be a gradual first team alteration. I also want this team to play together for many years, the core of the team is young enough to. It's about making plans to supplement and (years down the line) replacing them with minimum disruption and maximum gain.

With the state of the Scottish team and SPL, I think it's asking a lot for one club to start producing a conveyor belt of top class players. To be honest I would see that as a miracle.

I think we have revamped the youth setup at Rangers several times over the last 10 years and have lately been one of the more successful clubs in producing good professional players.

I really think that the good work by hard working professionals at Rangers is ignored by some due to the fact that the club don't produce a stream players of Rangers quality. That to me is false expectations since you are expecting one club to produce the best players in Scotland and possibly the UK year on year.

I don't think there are many clubs in the world who have come close to doing this.

People bandy about names like Man U and Ajax, but just how many players have they developed from youths and still playing for them, that are first choice internationals for England and Netherlands?

Those international teams are not full of players from those clubs, but for Rangers youth section to satisfy the critics that would have to be the state of play here.

If anyone is capable of achieving this supposedly simple task for Rangers then I'd love them to do it but it sounds like believing in fantasy fiction to me. I really don't think there is any enchanted chalice or magic wand.