Rangers as it stands minus CL involvement

Probably more a question for Bluedell but thought I would open it out.

Lack of CL involvement cost us dear last year, to the tune of anywhere between 10 and 15 million.

Thankfully, we don't have the scenario facing us this year barring a major miracle.

My question is, say we didn't have CL football next season (and kept the same squad as we have now, for talking sake), how much would we lose?

We've trimmed a great deal off our wages this year and our playing staff is reduced by anywhere up to 10 bodies.

What would the figure be?

If we look at last year's accounts as our base (as they had no European football) we made a loss of �£19.7m before exceptional items (mainly the gain on sale of players).

If we went into next season with exactly the same players, wages and other costs are down around �£8m and amortisation could be down around �£3m.

We could be looking at a loss of around �£8.5m.

However if we had the Europa league then it would bring in some income as could the sale of players, but we are a bit away from breaking even without any European football.

If we look at last year's accounts as our base (as they had no European football) we made a loss of �£19.7m before exceptional items (mainly the gain on sale of players).

If we went into next season with exactly the same players, wages and other costs are down around �£8m and amortisation could be down around �£3m.

We could be looking at a loss of around �£8.5m.

However if we had the Europa league then it would bring in some income as could the sale of players, but we are a bit away from breaking even without any European football.

So in your opinion Bluedell what is really required , more income against decrased squad size , as there doesn't seem to be much more we can cut . Sorry to put you on the spot but I just want to get a grasp on where we would need to be to stop this continual boom or burst .

I realise the more income is an easy thing to say but I just dont see where we can cut �£8.5 million more from within the club.

So in your opinion Bluedell what is really required , more income against decrased squad size , as there doesn't seem to be much more we can cut . Sorry to put you on the spot but I just want to get a grasp on where we would need to be to stop this continual boom or burst .

I realise the more income is an easy thing to say but I just dont see where we can cut �£8.5 million more from within the club.

We simply have to find a way however. The alternative is there for all to see and continually plcing the club at risk is acceptable to none of us. Personally, I think there is a great deal more to be done on the income side, which may not make up all of the gap but could go some considerable way to doing so.

Yep, I think we could increase our income to a fair degree - firstly through the efficiency savings we have made in recent years but, secondly, via investment into different areas of the club.

Obviously the latter is much harder to find but is essential if we're to move forward. A new owner may provide some imagination and new ideas in that respect so I'd love to hear such a person's plans in that respect.

If I knew the answer, i'd be leading the consortium and not Ellis. :D Co-incidentally I have spoken someone with Guernsey-based money about the the possibility of buying the club, but it never got past basic discussions as I can't come up with a sustainable model of how the club could be self-financing without a level of risk that would be unacceptable to them....which will be the same as many others and why nobody has been rushing to buy the club over the past few years.

We are probably not a million miles away from breaking even before paying interest and before the buying (and selling) of players.

IF we can get the debt cleared, and finance the purchase of players through European football and the sale of other players then we could break-even. It would likely see a lot less being spent on players over the medium term than we are used to if this approach was taken, unless it could be supplemented with external one-off funding, that Murray was fairly good at generating (Enic, King, NTL, JJB), but again there are no guarantees that these deals can be done in the future.

In the last few years, we have done well with Boumsong, Hutton and Cuellar, but there are no guarantees of doing similar in the future, and our ability for spending may be limited, particuarly with CL football being more unlikely with the lower co-efficient.

A good way to save money is not to spend it on dumplings or French sticks, I wonder how Wattie would manage if he really had no money to waste.

To be fair he hasn't done badly over the last 18 months , surely you can give him some credit

If I knew the answer, i'd be leading the consortium and not Ellis. :D Co-incidentally I have spoken someone with Guernsey-based money about the the possibility of buying the club, but it never got past basic discussions as I can't come up with a sustainable model of how the club could be self-financing without a level of risk that would be unacceptable to them....which will be the same as many others and why nobody has been rushing to buy the club over the past few years.

We are probably not a million miles away from breaking even before paying interest and before the buying (and selling) of players.

IF we can get the debt cleared, and finance the purchase of players through European football and the sale of other players then we could break-even. It would likely see a lot less being spent on players over the medium term than we are used to if this approach was taken, unless it could be supplemented with external one-off funding, that Murray was fairly good at generating (Enic, King, NTL, JJB), but again there are no guarantees that these deals can be done in the future.

In the last few years, we have done well with Boumsong, Hutton and Cuellar, but there are no guarantees of doing similar in the future, and our ability for spending may be limited, particuarly with CL football being more unlikely with the lower co-efficient.

Would we be able to move forward with just Europa league revenue , it is due to increase everyn that is the C/L , last ight they were saying hat Fulham could end up playing 19 games , if they made the final .

Now surely we are good enough to get out the groups , 3 home games , and possibly 2 more group games , so the revenue from 5 home europa league games must fill i some of the gap .

What we must avoid is the squad being top heavy again , very tricky I know .

To be fair he hasn't done badly over the last 18 months , surely you can give him some credit

No problem with the credit RBR, but when you throw it about like a man with 10 arms sometimes the credit rating drops, I don't buy into the myth about WS having not been given money, only wish Big Eck would have had the same kitty.