It may be the wrong decision, but it is an honest "error" imo.

It probably was an 'honest error', but it's one that Walter hasn't made again isn't it? So, given that Wilson has now played something like 18 games for us this season & we haven't seen a reappearance of McCulloch in central defense, we can only assume that Walter acknowledges that playing Lee there instead of an ACTUAL central defender, wasn't particularly smart. That's how it looks to me anyway... :whistle:

McCulloch did well enough in the SPL in defence, and had CL experience in abundance - it wasn't an unreasonable team selection to make. I doubt very much Walter would have done anything different even in hindsight, mainly because even with a Bougherra/Weir partnership, we still shipped 4 goals to Sevilla regardless.

Let's face it, mistakes or otherwise, this Rangers team was out of its depth in the CL, no matter what players were picked.

And that is why blame is not really on anyone in particular.

Never bought into this ridiculous theory. Not sure why it gets so much support.

I must admit I used to, but then I realised McCulloch's worth to the team and began to realise this season just why he's so important to us.

He's the 3rd name on the sheet along with Weir and Bougherra, if everyone is fit and available.

It probably was an 'honest error', but it's one that Walter hasn't made again isn't it? So, given that Wilson has now played something like 18 games for us this season & we haven't seen a reappearance of McCulloch in central defense, we can only assume that Walter acknowledges that playing Lee there instead of an ACTUAL central defender, wasn't particularly smart. That's how it looks to me anyway... :whistle:

Agree it was a mistake. Agree Walter probably sees that now.

By honest mistake, I meant that Walter honestly thought Lee was his best bet, even if the fans disagree and in hindsight Walter no longer seems to think that. I was just too lazy to type that out in full.

All I will say is that anyone who bought lafferty to fill Boyd's boots you know the rest.

PS don't tell me he is a 6' 4" winger.

I rate Walter. But i'll give you that Lafferty is (so far) up there with his worst signings.

Kinda like the observation below that a better manager must be a highly paid foreigner, something only the poster actually suggests.

Whether or not it was mentioned in the 3 or 4 posts above mine, there is a great deal of our fanbase (just look at any new manager thread on FF) who think that Walter could be replaced by a big name foreign manager. I find this incredibly naive. If Walter is axed it will be for financial reasons and he'll be replaced by someone of the ilk of Billy Davies. An Englishman with no real affinity with Rangers would look upon Walter Smith as a club hero. There's only one reason he'd sack him.

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

Who are these cheaper and better alternatives who'd be happy to work with no transfer budget? Walter Smith is the best man for the SPL without question. Any other Scottish manager is a step down.

Without question eh?

I'd see no point to anything if I couldn't at least question it, even Walter Smith.

It never fails to impress me how many people see the world in absolute terms.

Whether or not it was mentioned in the 3 or 4 posts above mine, there is a great deal of our fanbase (just look at any new manager thread on FF) who think that Walter could be replaced by a big name foreign manager. I find this incredibly naive. If Walter is axed it will be for financial reasons and he'll be replaced by someone of the ilk of Billy Davies. An Englishman with no real affinity with Rangers would look upon Walter Smith as a club hero. There's only one reason he'd sack him.

Well if your going to take your line of sight from a thread on FF you probably deserve all the disappointment coming your way. I certainly wouldn't opt for a foreign manager but it's unacceptable on every level to categorically state that WS is the only one who could do a job for Rangers.

Whatever the new owner (if there is one) decides, I believe Walter will be gone in no more than two seasons of his own volition - what will we do then, close the doors for good because no one but Walter can do the job? I've heard that line all my life and I've learned how wrong it always is.

Well if your going to take your line of sight from a thread on FF you probably deserve all the disappointment coming your way. I certainly wouldn't opt for a foreign manager but it's unacceptable on every level to categorically state that WS is the only one who could do a job for Rangers.

Whatever the new owner (if there is one) decides, I believe Walter will be gone in no more than two seasons of his own volition - what will we do then, close the doors for good because no one but Walter can do the job? I've heard that line all my life and I've learned how wrong it always is.

Barry Ferguson springs to mind here. He was also irreplaceable but hey how many championships did we win with him in the team.

Everyone is replaceable.