Boyd drops Prem hint

Kris Boyd has hinted he wants to play Premier League football next season after his Gers contract expires.

More...

Rangers ace Kris Boyd has hinted he wants to play Premier League football next season after his Ibrox contract expires in the summer.

The Scotland international, 26, is a free agent in the summer and has been linked with a move to England's top flight, although he insists he has not made a decision on his future.

The former Kilmarnock striker would not be against signing a fresh contract extension with the Light Blues and possibly seeing out the remainder of his career with the Glasgow giants.

However, the uncertainty surrounding the club's long-term financial future has unsettled him and he believes that tying down the club's management should take priority.

Confidence

"It would be nice to play in the Premiership," he told the Daily Record. "I've confidence in my own ability and believe I'd score goals at the highest level.

"But at the moment, all I want is to do well for Rangers and help them win more trophies.

"Sitting here I genuinely don't know if I'll stay or go, but I'd be happy to sign on again here and if I'm still banging in goals for Rangers five or six years from now I'll be very happy.

"I've spoken to Walter Smith about my situation and he respects my decision to take my time about it and not to rush into anything.

"On the outside it's easy for people to say 'Come on, just sign again for Rangers' but it's not as easy as that.

"At this moment in time the club is not stable and that is on my mind. This club needs stability. It needs to be sorted out.

"The gaffer, Ally McCoist, Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant need to be given contracts. That should be the priority."

Edited by Frankie

While we're all happy about being top of the league and winning cups, the serious background issue of club stability is one that remains a huge concern for us all - including the SPL's best goalscorer.

If it is affecting his form (as it may well be) then that is extremely worrying ahead of the title run-in which is far from a certainty for us.

If we were to secure a new owner with fresh investment then I wouldn't be overly concerened at losing Boyd IF he was replacement was real quality. Yes we would miss his goals but a more mobile skillful player may improve our play.

I don't think Boyd will decide on his future until Walter, Ally and Kenny make their plans clear.

Boyd is a tremendous goalscorer and I'd be gutted to lose him...

The most worrying aspect about losing him is that he'd go for free. This isn't like selling Bougherra for �£5million+ and having the money to buy another player. :(

:(Think Boyd may be thinking along the lines that Rangers have been the winners in signing him for long enough. Now it's time to look out for himself, he's young yet, but not a player I would see having an exceptionally lengthy career. Could be he's decided it's time for Rangers to put up or shut up. The underlying uncertainty about the ownership of the club is certainly a factor in his thinking.

Just must not be allowed to happen. A real test of the current board and any new owner.

True but I don't think Boyd wants to stay even if we get a new owner and re-sign Walter et al...

One thing that worries me know is that Ian McGuinness is now back in football at Birmingham as club doctor , after Murray finally got his way and got rid of him from us , he's best mates with Boyd and in fact was responsible for him coming to us in the first place , I was initially hopeful that Boyd would stay but after talking to Ian last week I aint so sure now .

One thing that worries me know is that Ian McGuinness is now back in football at Birmingham as club doctor , after Murray finally got his way and got rid of him from us , he's best mates with Boyd and in fact was responsible for him coming to us in the first place , I was initially hopeful that Boyd would stay but after talking to Ian last week I aint so sure now .

Boyd would be able to get a sickline any time he fancied a day off. :rolleyes: