What was Walter's message this time?

was it to show how weak and shallow our squad is?...

If that was true, he deserves a swift boot in the nadgers and has put club politics beyond his real job. In fact, it would be a dereliction of duty and unforgivable.

If that was true, he deserves a swift boot in the nadgers and has put club politics beyond his real job. In fact, it would be a dereliction of duty and unforgivable.

Yeah, he valued the treble so little that he decided to put out a weakened team just to show the watching world how weak our squad is. That's right out of the timmy school of conspiracies! How about we just believe what he said? We have 4 games in 10 days and the league is far more important than the cup

Yeah, he valued the treble so little that he decided to put out a weakened team just to show the watching world how weak our squad is. That's right out of the timmy school of conspiracies! How about we just believe what he said? We have 4 games in 10 days and the league is far more important than the cup

So why appeal Thomson's red card and risk having him miss a league game instead of a cup game? Why not rest Weir as well?

The "league is more important than the cup" argument doesn't really stack up.

So why appeal Thomson's red card and risk having him miss a league game instead of a cup game? Why not rest Weir as well?

The "league is more important than the cup" argument doesn't really stack up.

I think our plan was to keep the first choice defence and hope it would be enough to force penalties at the very least, with us hopefully sneaking a win like in the cup final. Alex Ferguson did the same thing in last season's FA Cup semi final against Everton; rested his entire first choice midfield and attack but kept Vidic and Ferdinand at centre back.

As for Thomson; resting players or not, i doubt very much that Walter wanted to play Naismith in central midfield. Thomson would've played if available, Davis probably would've too. I think Novo, Boyd and Miller were the only ones he particularly wanted to rest.

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

I think Novo, Boyd and Miller were the only ones he particularly wanted to rest.

I'll refer you back to the OP. Why rest them given the level of games that they haven't played since the start of January?

Perhaps I'm looking at things too much in black and white, but again it doesn't stack up that they need rested.

I'll refer you back to the OP. Why rest them given the level of games that they haven't played since the start of January?

Perhaps I'm looking at things too much in black and white, but again it doesn't stack up that they need rested.

Miller is relatively injury prone and definately couldn't handle 4 games in 10 days. Boyd has been woeful recently and has proved many times that he cannot adequately partner anyone other than Miller. Novo ran himself into the ground on Sunday. We're all somewhat disappointed, even if some of us like myself are a lot less disappointed than others, but it'll have been the right thing to do if we go and win at Tynecastle. My only major gripe is the starting of Little. No offence to the young lad as he seems quite a likeable boy but he really is one of the worst players i've ever seen play for us. It should've been Lafferty and Naismith up front, if it wasn't going to Boyd and Miller

Miller is relatively injury prone and definately couldn't handle 4 games in 10 days. Boyd has been woeful recently and has proved many times that he cannot adequately partner anyone other than Miller. Novo ran himself into the ground on Sunday.

That's certainly a plausible argument to a certain extent, although I can't believe Novo could not have managed to start instead of Little, for example, even if Miller couldn't make it. we have also playd Boyd without Miller on plenty of occasions, and it's difficult to accept that it's the reason that he didn't start.

My only major gripe is the starting of Little. No offence to the young lad as he seems quite a likeable boy but he really is one of the worst players i've ever seen play for us. It should've been Lafferty and Naismith up front, if it wasn't going to Boyd and Miller

Yeah. I haven't seen him play well for the first team yet and have not been impressed by him, and a QF replay isn't a time to expect him to turn the corner.

Is it a sign of just how far we have come that we are disgusted to lose a Cup tie against probably the 3rd best team in the country (possibly 2nd, possibly 4th) away from home with a weakened team ?

Surely WS must take some credit for that - although admittedly the number of changes last night were extreme.

I prefer to look at the longer, rather than shorter, term view. Yes I wanted to win the SC but had we won that and not won the league I would be far more disappointed as the financial consequences would have been more dire.

I HATE us losing ANY game, even pre-season friendlies - but given the option I want us to win the league as it means more to our long-term well-being.