RST involved in new takeover bid?

Jim McColl is no ones fool nor is he a scatter cash , he has built all his businesses from relative obscurity never seeking the limelight , in fact the polar opposite to our present incumbent.

I realise there is a high degree of , resentment is probably too strong a word , scepticism o here regards the trust , alot probably deserved , however if Carlsberg did takeover's , this would be the one IMHO

So that article is basically suggesting that McColl may well be willing to underwrite a fan ownership scheme organized and run by the RST? Seeing is believing. :whistle:

This whole episode will hopefully be sorted out sooner rather than later , as this is a World Cup year , getting in any potential transfer targets will be further complicated as it always is when a world cup is on .

Edited by rbr

This has been getting spoken about by people who should know , an awful lot in the last couple of weeks , more so than Ellis's proposal ever has , who knows what the truth is , but if I had a choice it would be this one .

Certainly, if it came down to a choice I'd agree that McColl is a far more attractive investor than Ellis (and his secret financiers), but the thought of the RST being heavily involved in the takeover of the club, planning, setup and ongoing organization of a fan-ownership model, is something that I'm not particularly comfortable with and possibly never will be. It's down to the RST to convince me that my worries for an RFC future - under fan ownership organized by them - are unnecessary, that the club's future would be secure, that Ibrox or Murray Park wouldn't be getting sold within 10 years. They need to show long term plans and they'd better be pretty damn detailed because there's no room for wishy washy sketches on this matter. It's Rangers Football Club were talking about here, not some half-arsed scheme that it matters not if it fails.

Certainly, if it came down to a choice I'd agree that McColl is a far more attractive investor than Ellis (and his secret financiers), but the thought of the RST being heavily involved in the takeover of the club, planning, setup and ongoing organization of a fan-ownership model, is something that I'm not particularly comfortable with and possibly never will be. It's down to the RST to convince me that my worries for an RFC future - under fan ownership organized by them - are unnecessary, that the club's future would be secure, that Ibrox or Murray Park wouldn't be getting sold within 10 years. They need to show long term plans and they'd better be pretty damn detailed because there's no room for wishy washy sketches on this matter. It's Rangers Football Club were talking about here, not some half-arsed scheme that it matters not if it fails.

In a nutshell mate. Who will run the club? Who will set direction and strategy, who will implement it? If it were to be Jim McColl, we'd be lucky bunnies indeed. If not Jim McColl at the helm then I'd be terrified by this news.

Isn't McColl a tax exile, how much is he worth he is being quoted as having personal wealth identical to his ST richlist ranking, what experience does he have within football, if none who is going to supply this experience, why is it always a nice round �£30 mill that is quoted. Personally I think the news today must be on the dead side for a rehash to take anyone's front page.

Absolutely. Although I support the RST in principle, I understand fully the concerns of fellow bears regarding the way it has been run, and any successful scheme as outlined in the article (Sunday Herald, full pinch of salt required) could only be achieved by significant changes in all aspects of the RST. I for one would love for the club to be owned and run by the fans like the Hamburg model, but in our society we are a million miles away from that being possible, and will take a major change in attitude and thought from our support to facilitate a successfully run club on that model. Not impossible, but certainly not possible in the short term.

Zappa I happen to fully agree , however these points are just as pertinent when directed at Ellis , in fact I would say more so than any fans group . Unless the distrust of the RST out weighs the distrust of a London Property Developer

Guest Bandit

I share the same concerns as some posters above me, as well as an equal share of optimism that there may be some truth in this. If my cynical-self were to raise it's head right now I would think that the timing of this article is very convenient; one trophy in the bag, 10 points clear 2 games in hand, Tims in turmoil...a real feel good factor around Ibrox - perfect time to generate interest and renewals in ST's.

That said, we are in the strongest possible position we possibly can be to attract a buyer, so perhaps that has some bearing.

I know nothing about this fellow, and I take his potential wealth with a pinch of salt - I will only really be convinced about the strength of this article and it's potential repercussions if and when the proposals hit print.

The past fiasco with the RST doesn't fill me with hope about this either, but I'm willing to hold council until the facts will out.