Andreas Hinkel lit the blue touchpaper ahead of the final Old Firm derby of the season by insisting Celtic will prove to a global audience they are better than champions Rangers.

The German defender cannot envisage the prospect of completing the SPL campaign without a win over Walter Smith's side.

Instead, he claimed Celtic will be inspired by their feeling of frustration about the three previous Old Firm matches, which have all featured controversial decisions in two home wins for Rangers and a 1-1 draw at Parkhead.

'It is always an important game against Rangers and we want to prove we are better than them,' said Hinkel ahead of tomorrow night's game.

The league is finished but we can show all of Scotland, and all of the world, that we are the better team.

'When you see the three games we have had against them this season, then think about it. Even the game we lost in the last minute, we deserved a draw. We were very unlucky.'

Rangers striker Nacho Novo revealed last week that the Ibrox players had laughed in the face of Celtic's weak challenge this season.

Celtic have lost 14 games in all competitions, while Rangers have lost seven.

'I did not read anything from Nacho Novo,' said Hinkel.

'To be honest, I don't think about things like that and don't care what Novo says or thinks. He is not that important to me. It is always important to beat Rangers. It is the biggest game in the city and there is so much history attached to the fixture.

'It does not matter if the league is finished or not. It's one game but we want to beat them.

'We cannot turn around the season and the league is now finished but we would still love to beat the champions.

'I can't say in a few words why we are the better team, but just watch the previous Old Firm games.

'The last time we played them here, we scored only one goal but we made so many chances. We just let in one late goal for a 1-1 draw.

'Not taking our chances and conceding too many cheap goals has been our main problem for the main part of this season.

'We dropped too many points because of that.

'I don't want to talk about the (refereeing) decisions in the Old Firm matches but you can see them. We are frustrated about all three games against Rangers.

'I don't know if beating them would do anything psychologically for us for next season.

'But, if you think about the three Old Firm games so far, we deserved to win at least one of them.

'Actually, we dominated the first one at Ibrox and also the one here at New Year.

'We will give everything we can on Tuesday to get at least one win over them in the season.'

Hinkel has 12 months left on his Parkhead contract, with Schalke 04 believed to be keen on taking him back to his native Germany.

'Everybody knows the situation - I have one year left on my Celtic contract,' he said. 'People are saying: "Is Hinkel staying or going?" I can only say that if a club like Schalke is being mentioned, then it shows my performances here have been noticed.

'They are a big club in Germany. But I have not spoken to them.

'Celtic have not spoken to me, either, about my contract still having a year to run.

'It's a good sign to be linked with a big club. You have to ask Celtic what they want to do.'

:fish: :spl: :rfc: :robbo: :giruy:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1270864/Celtic-defender-Andreas-Hinkel-Were-better-Rangers-prove-derby.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0moj4gTuW

A good humping would send the BHEASTS into a frenzy,the bungee jumping would start again from the stands,providing they turn up???, BROON will get sent off and we will have another party,superb.

or it'll be a 'non-event' 0-0 draw which on reflection would suite both teams...

However, prefer Ian's version of events to unfold tho :robbo:

Cammy F :spl:

They never do shut up, nice way to fuel us up and a nice way to make them sound even more pathetic when they lose.

I guess they are looking for a trophy of most laughable comments of the year.

'I can't say in a few words why we are the better team, but just watch the previous Old Firm games.

Because there is no evidence for the shite you are spouting?

'Not taking our chances and conceding too many cheap goals has been our main problem for the main part of this season.

'We dropped too many points because of that.

WHich is it? Are you better than the Champions; a team who score many and have a stingy defence or are you a crap outfit who can't finish nor defend a sweetie from an infant? :confused:

24mrers.jpg

The above says you are wrong. And how does beating a team once prove you are better than a team that romped the Championship taking 7 points out of 9 off of your mob???