Guest Flying Hippo

I also don't agree with the comparisons with Weir

Davie Weir has never got worse as a player. He's arguably better for Rangers than he ever was for Everton

Campbell has been on a steady decline since 2005 and is a shadow of the defender he once was. His legs have gone (unlike Weir who never had pace to begin with) and he's chunky

In their hayday both were decent players with Campbell being the better. Both are now past they're best although I think they would do OK up here but both won't be busting a gut (maybe they won't need to), both are very injury prone, both are a bit erratic to say the least and both will be earning a small fortune. I for one wouldn't want them in my team and definately not on the wages they would be probably be on.

Celtic DO though need to improve their defence and, whilst Campbell is past his best, he is still better than Loovens, Thompson et al.

He would improve them but he wouldn't fear me at all.

As I said earlier, I watched him at Emirates against Porto in March and he was awful. And slow. That said, he hadn't played in a while so could have been rusty.

Guest Flying Hippo

Campbell will impress against long ball sides who just hoof the ball up to a static frontman but any kind of nimble, tricky frontman like Sir Kenneth of Miller will have a field day against him

I also don't agree with the comparisons with Weir

Davie Weir has never got worse as a player. He's arguably better for Rangers than he ever was for Everton

Campbell has been on a steady decline since 2005 and is a shadow of the defender he once was. His legs have gone (unlike Weir who never had pace to begin with) and he's chunky

Nonsense. Do you think Weir could still be playing for Everton in the EPL today? Campbell fitted in perfect for Arsenal (one of Europes finest) last season without looking out of place, the only problem was the spotlight was on him and was expected to repeat his world class form on 2002.

Campbell was a world class defender and would still walk into half the EPL's teams.

Guest Flying Hippo
Nonsense. Do you think Weir could still be playing for Everton in the EPL today? Campbell fitted in perfect for Arsenal (one of Europes finest) last season without looking out of place, the only problem was the spotlight was on him and was expected to repeat his world class form on 2002.

Campbell was a world class defender and would still walk into half the EPL's teams.

So why is he joining Celtic and not these EPL teams then?

He "fitted in perfect" for Arsenal? Must've been watching different games to me. I saw both Porto and Stoke City tear him a new Arsenal, pardon the pun

And yes, when the EPL boasts first choice centre halves like Jody Craddock, Clarke Carlisle, Leon Cort, Gary Caldwell and Emmerson Boyce, yes i do believe Weir could still be playing there. Richard Gough was a first choice for Everton throughout one season where he was 38. Though times have changed and it's unlikely a team would ever play a 39/40 year old when they have so much money to buy replacements, Weir could hypothetically play there still, yes

Edited by Flying Hippo